Is anyone using a paddle clutch?????

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2001, 10:53 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all
Im just having my gearbox rebuilt and will be putting in a new clutch whilst box is off,car is running around 295bhp,I have been known to wail it on occasion and standard clutch is marginal. There are two options available to me an uprated 8mm Sti
driven plate and cover or a standard cover and paddle plate which I am reliably informed is much better and will last much longer even with a little abuse
Question is,will the paddle be hard work to operate in traffic? As I do a few miles a month and dont want my left leg dropping off after a crawl in traffic!!
Simon
Old 04 December 2001, 11:05 PM
IMPREZA BABE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Simon,

Just to let you know if you do decide to run a paddle clutch providing it is a sprung paddle and not a solid one you will have no problem as I am a lady driver and run a paddle clutch in my STi Version 5, I use the vehicle on occasional night rallies.

Hope this helps,

Impreza Babe.
Old 04 December 2001, 11:16 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

Hi Babe,Thanks for that and thanks for the info on Ian Brown (the gearbox builder)have spoke to him and he is now in the process of building me a new box
Did you buy your clutch from Townsend Garage?As I believe that is who supplies Ian.
Thanks again
Regards
Simon
Old 05 December 2001, 04:51 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I run an AP Sprung Paddle (4 Paddles) and its not too bad to be honest. Sometimes in traffic it can get to be a pain ~ especially queued traffic which stop starts all the time.

I like mine, and would only change it for a similar item.

Mark
(Modified UK94)

Old 05 December 2001, 10:43 PM
IMPREZA BABE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes I did get my clutch from them, I deal with them quite alot and have found them very helpfull. The clutch cost approx £330.00 that was for the spinner and pressure plate although I think that is the correct term for it!!!
To fit it for me they charged me £100.00 labour but filled my gearbox with Silkolene Syn 5 as they told me they run all the rally cars on this oil and highly recommend it for the Subaru box's - as you know they are not the best gear box!!

Glad you got sorted out with Ian - I've only met him once and he is very helpfull.

Impreza Babe.