Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can someone answer a quick question about a plate I've got on retention?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2007, 10:06 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone answer a quick question about a plate I've got on retention?

I bought a plate last year and it was signed over to me by the guy I bought it from. It was due for renewal on the 2nd (Friday). I thought it was the 12th as this is the date it was signed by the previous keeper.

I will be going to the dvla office tomorrow to sort it out, but will I have lost the plate?

Do they give you a few days grace or are they strict about it?

Can I put the plate back on retention or does it need to go on a vehicle now?

cheers
Old 04 February 2007, 10:17 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can effectively re retain the number for £25 a year if i recall, that can be done for as many years as you like, not sure wether they'll let you keep it though, as you've gone over the year..... i think by rights they claim the plate back if it's not re retained at that point..... fingers crossed for ya.... but i wouldn't hold my breath.... sorry!
Old 04 February 2007, 10:26 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

The DVLA can, depending on which office it is, be little Hitlers.

Your best bet would be to contact DVLA Swansea (0870 1122113) and speak to someone in the cherished transfers dept, they are really helpful.

If you look on the small print of the cherished transfer papers, you don't actually ever 'own' a cherished plate, you merely 'rent' or pay to use it, I noticed this when I had a private plate put on my last car. The DVLA can revoke or take back any cherished transfer at anytime. Pretty cr@p considering the cost of some of them.

Last edited by BULLITT; 04 February 2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04 February 2007, 10:43 PM
jimbob6242
Scooby Regular

ring them in the morning, I have nearly lost a few customers plates over the years, local offices are a real nightmare, main office staff are nicer because they don't have to face the lunatics who come in the local offices - worse than a hospitial waiting room in my eyes.

Paying £25 quid does allow you to retain the plate, whwn you are ready, providing the vehicle is taxed, take the log book and the retention down to your local office. They will then give you your tax disc with the private plate on it and your new log book will come through the post