Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

where can i mod subaru up in Leeds area?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 03:34 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Bomber,

Here goes!

I assume you have a UK rather than a Japanese import. As it's a T-reg, it's a MY99 car.

Handling:

Lowering springs (Eibachs) Or a full suspension kit if you can afford it.

Strut braces are good, but I only really noticed the difference with the more expensive Cusco stuff (about £300 for front and rear)

Bumpsteer modification is a good idea, it makes the car more stable when braking PowerStation

Solid front and rear drop links, these improved the handling of my car no end and only cost about £80 new!!

Air Filter/Induction kit:

The MY99 have a more fragile MAF sensor, so you have to be careful which filter to go for.

If you are paranoid, then go for an ITG or K&N panel filter

Select your induction kits carefully. I have heard of MAF failures from Blitz induction kits as the filtration isn't as good as some filters. The HKS if fitted incorrectly can cause MAF failures. I know of a few failures due to PiperCross induction kits.

The ones that people seem to go for on your year of car is the K&N 57i induction kit.

I used a Unifilter RamPod induction for nearly a year with no issues. ScoobyMania

Or a APS item which I now run, which uses the K&N element but have relocated it in to the wing to get colder air New Age Motorsport

Exhaust:

Depends whether you want to remove all the cats or not!

The most popular choice is a full Scoobysport system ScoobySport Although it can be a little oud. Get yourself to some meets and listen to them

If you want to get rid of your downpipe cat (the most restrictive one) then the cabin noise will get louder. Worth looking at a Scoobysport item or a Magnex one.

The centre section also has a cat, but this can be replaced with a Magnex centre with a resonator, this will keep the noise down compared to ones that are just a straight through pipe.

Most backboxes are louder, but I've heard the Remus one and it seems very quiet!

Lights:

Lights too yellow, get yourself here: Powerbulbs

Get some Philips Vision Plus bulbs (H4) for the main headlights, and some Philips Blue Vision bulbs (W5W) for the sidelights.

You could get a driving lamp kit, but they only come on with full beam. When you switch them off, its like turning off your lights!!

The best improvement I made with the headlights was getting a Morette quadlamp conversion. The distribution of light is amazing and much better than the standard units!

Fuel Economy:

There's no magic cure. The fuel consumption will be high, but as long as it's being serviced when it should, you should be ok.

Misc:

Worth getting yourself a boost gauge to monitor that.

Make sure the car is warmed up (up to 10 minutes in cold weather) before you thrash it.

Let the car cool down by off boost driving for a few minutes before you reach your destination, and to let the car idle for a minute or two before switching off! This allows the oil to take the heat away from the turbo.

Useful information here: Subaru Impreza Drivers Club FAQ

and here: Steve Breen's Website

I hope this is of some use
Andy

[Edited by Andy Tang - 12/7/2001 3:37:55 AM]
Old 07 December 2001, 01:18 AM
bomber
Scooby Newbie

Question

hey guys
first time here and looking for some info to where the heck can i go to mod my Subaru up in the towns of Leeds?
been looking at everywhere but too damn far away from me!
i need a place where i can do mods without haveing to worry bout are they trustworhty or not.

plus if u guys can plz give me some tips on what i should get for my T-reg (MY??.......i donno the model number....), car is getting old and loseing power day by day and i need some updates items for it.

first im looking for bits that will change my car handling so i can go even faster through coners! ( got 17s on so it cant be too low! ), and how about a strut brace?
then looking at a Blitz indution and a Blitz DV too......they any good? or should i go for the HKS ones?

exhaust......now here somthing u guys will think 'what the heck is he asking for?'.....i mean i want a exhaust thats has no increase in noise over the standard one but give me more power......tricky huh? thats why i got the car for 3 yrs with a standard exhaust coz i donno how the hell i can get one i want.

then most importantly!.....LIGHTS!!!! i juz been told by my mate that my headlights are dipping way too low and the colour is going more yellow then white and im always useing full beam too.
got Subaru to check it but they say its okay so i guess i need some new bulbs huh?

now i want some of u experts to tell me this.......me and my mate is argueing that new spark plugs and leads will make no change in MPG, but he is saying it does make a difference and it WILL save me more dosh on fuel......but i think not...but who am i to say? coz i know nothing bout them......so u guys will have to prove me wrong!

hope u pros can help

cya soon
all take care as bad weather is kicking in!
Old 07 December 2001, 09:06 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Bomber, nearest places I have found so far is TSL or Scoobymania, both of which are in Nottingham - 70 miles away

Both Trouser (TSL)and Mike (SM) will happily take your money. I'd echo Andy's advice, too... Not much to add, really!
Old 07 December 2001, 09:13 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are places in leeds... but like they say use the others (mail order...) If you need a hand fitting anything then give us a shout... where about in leeds are you roughly?

There are some places such as larkspeed, halfords (ripspeed) and unicar... but that says it all really... unless you have a nova as well!

Oh there is well lane turbo centre in batley... they have a rolling road and sell some parts...

David
Old 08 December 2001, 02:25 AM
bomber
Scooby Newbie

thx for the info!

im kinda far away from leeds really coz i live in Keighley

but anyway i think i know where to start now and im gonna start telling pplz what i want for X'mas
haha

oh and anyone knows where a good go-karting track is? the nearest one i know is in Manchester and thats a bit too far away

but anyway thx again for the info

take care

out
Old 08 December 2001, 05:39 PM
blue nose
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Bomber
their is a good go karting track at clifton moor shopping complex just outside york
hope that helps
blue nose
Old 09 December 2001, 01:05 AM
bomber
Scooby Newbie

juz outside york?
hmmmm
whats it called?

maybe i go there next week
Old 09 December 2001, 01:50 PM
blue nose
Scooby Newbie

Talking

bomber,
sorry mate cant remember the name its behind the boots megastore and near asda at cliffton moor ,just ask any one the guy that owns it drives a scooby also.but their is one in leeds try www.kartskill.co.uk ,hopr that helps
all the best
blue nose