Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would any one have a picture of a bugeye rear ARB clamp ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2007, 10:21 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would any one have a picture of a bugeye rear ARB clamp ?

As you may see from this earlier post https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...ml#post6683274
I'm having problems fitting a Whiteline ARB to my 03 Blobeye WRX wagon .It is one of the first of the shape (FEB03) and I am wondering if it has bugeye clamps fitted instead . Does anyone have a picture of a bugeye clamp , or can you confirm mine are bugeye style

MY CLAMP .....

AND A NORMAL 03 BLOBEYE CLAMP ......(thanks Mark)

As you can see mine are more of a 'C' shape

Thanks for any help

Dave

Last edited by IN THE STICKS; 22 February 2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 22 February 2007, 07:54 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Any of the evening crew ?
Old 22 February 2007, 10:32 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS

AND A NORMAL 03 BLOBEYE CLAMP ......(thanks Mark)

Dave
No problem Dave.

Hope you get an answer soon m8. Those bushes are definitely wrong for your shape of clamp.If you try to force them to fit you will distort the inner hole that the ARB swivels in. Not good.

Would my old mounts fit your chassis? If the holes line up & they are the same shape where they touch the chassis you could try them. At least you would know the bushes will fit.

Still seems strange that yours is a Feb 03 & mine is a March 03 & they have different ARB mounts.

Mark
Old 23 February 2007, 10:55 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

I've found a good link with pictures , looks like mine are the older style

02/03 WRX sway mount upgrade - ClubWRX Forum

Old 23 February 2007, 07:48 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've found a good link with pictures , looks like mine are the older style
They look more like the ones you get on Classics yet alone a late Bugeye / Early Blobeye. Strange.

So are you going to order for a earlier model or get the Heavy Duty mounts as well?

Mark
Old 23 February 2007, 08:09 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
They look more like the ones you get on Classics yet alone a late Bugeye / Early Blobeye. Strange.

So are you going to order for a earlier model or get the Heavy Duty mounts as well?

Mark
I guess I'll just go for the ones for my mounts , as I don't intend to chuck her around any tracks,so I guess I won't really notice the benefit of heavy duty mounts . What do you think ?

Dave
Old 23 February 2007, 08:40 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

remember to grease the inner of the rubber bush before fitting or you will get annoying squeaks. I'm not sure what grease whiteline supply with it, but use similar.
Old 23 February 2007, 09:27 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
remember to grease the inner of the rubber bush before fitting or you will get annoying squeaks. I'm not sure what grease whiteline supply with it, but use similar.
Will do , thanks
Old 23 February 2007, 10:01 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

I guess I'll just go for the ones for my mounts , as I don't intend to chuck her around any tracks,so I guess I won't really notice the benefit of heavy duty mounts . What do you think ?

Dave
Paul @ Xtreme said the OE ones are given a harder time by the stiffer ARB & can break.When he has been fitting ARBs he has seen the OE brackets flexing with just him pushing on the bar as he fits it.

Quote from Whiteline site "It's well known that the OEM rear swaybar mounts can break. Aftermarket sway bars add even higher loads, which can lead to premature cracks and mounting failure. Fit bigger rear bars with confidence or just upgrade your OE brackets to remove mounting flex. Specially strengthened to handle even 24mm adjustable bars."

I would rather have the peace of mind of uprated mounts to go with uprated bars. Not much point stiffening everything up & then losing it all to the mounts flexing. IMHO.

Plus I do like my roundabouts.

And funkyspider is right ,you want to use plenty of the special grease that comes with the bushes. Any excess will squidge out as you tighten it all up.

Mark
Old 24 February 2007, 07:05 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Paul @ Xtreme said the OE ones are given a harder time by the stiffer ARB & can break.When he has been fitting ARBs he has seen the OE brackets flexing with just him pushing on the bar as he fits it.

Quote from Whiteline site "It's well known that the OEM rear swaybar mounts can break. Aftermarket sway bars add even higher loads, which can lead to premature cracks and mounting failure. Fit bigger rear bars with confidence or just upgrade your OE brackets to remove mounting flex. Specially strengthened to handle even 24mm adjustable bars."

I would rather have the peace of mind of uprated mounts to go with uprated bars. Not much point stiffening everything up & then losing it all to the mounts flexing. IMHO.

Plus I do like my roundabouts.

And funkyspider is right ,you want to use plenty of the special grease that comes with the bushes. Any excess will squidge out as you tighten it all up.

Mark
Thanks Mark , I did get it fitted today , by just trimming the bushes , they don't distort in the clamps and the bar moves in them just as the OE one did . Took the Scoob out up the road to Bradwell, and chucked her about around the old airfield and was very pleased with the difference (even in the rain !!). I must admit I'm not one for bodges and I do like to do things properly so I think I might go down the uprated mount route eventually ,but I think I'll save that for when the weather turns a bit better .
Once again many thanks for your help,I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 'stealth wagon' if I make it to any of the meets this year
Old 24 February 2007, 09:12 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Mark , I did get it fitted today , by just trimming the bushes , they don't distort in the clamps and the bar moves in them just as the OE one did . Took the Scoob out up the road to Bradwell, and chucked her about around the old airfield and was very pleased with the difference (even in the rain !!). I must admit I'm not one for bodges and I do like to do things properly so I think I might go down the uprated mount route eventually ,but I think I'll save that for when the weather turns a bit better .
Once again many thanks for your help,I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 'stealth wagon' if I make it to any of the meets this year
Sharp knife & a steady hand eh ? Glad you are all sorted for now. Still seems strange they fitted those mounts just a month before mine was registered.

You will have to get along to some of the meets m8, plenty of choice.Sometimes too much & I have had to cut back & be more selective about which ones I go to now.

The rolling road tomorrow is only just down the road @ Witham (can just about hear them on the rollers) so we will pop over in the morning & see the guys. Then Southend next Saturday night, it's all go.

Catch you later.

Mark