Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

03 wrx/sti body styling differences????

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2007, 10:45 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 wrx/sti body styling differences????

after reading up on Sti's for the last few months I'm now thinking i'll opt for a wrx as this may work out cheaper in terms of insurance, buying price and running costs etc.

I am however a huge fan of the sti body styling so will be making a few mods to the wrx.

I'm after a bog standard wrx imy03 in black and will be looking to add the following straight away:

1. sti replica spoiler
2. sti large bonnet scoop
3. sti style side skirts
4. sti front aero bits
5. fog covers (no stickers)
6. scott lowe front splitter
7. mud flaps

are there any sti styling bits i have missed???

over time i am looking to add

8. scooby sport back box
9. short shift
10. milsport front grill and mesh (black)
11. de ginger the front lights
12. smoked side repeaters

what are peoples opinions on this and do you think after adding 1-7 and declaring them to insurance i will be saving any cash over an sti over the course of a few years ?????

cheers,

Sat
Old 24 February 2007, 10:58 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Nope and nope fella

also,you will find matey that buying said wrx in stead of an sti of same year/mileage etc will save you 3 grand or so,then spend 2 grand or so making it look like an sti

Also,go drive an sti of the same year,and then jump straight into a wrx,and you will get where im coming from,so for the extra intial layout of 1-2 grand you will get a far better car all round,

No questions......buy an sti in the first place,a far better car all round

also,my insurance premium is £65 more over the year for the sti compared against a wrx,A fiver a month

mark
Old 24 February 2007, 11:02 AM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Buy the STI. As Mark said above, by the time you've bought all the bits and told your insurance company about it, it'll be the same price or even slightly more.

Buy the car you want, just bite the bullet. I did, bought an 03 STI and absolutely love it. Costs a lot to run but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And as if to help you make your mind up, here's mine

Cheers

Matt
Old 24 February 2007, 11:03 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

cheers. the issue i have is that the sti's are expensive up here in sunny scotland and i've been getting silly quotes for insurance (£2000) with only 1 years ncb. whereas i cn get a wrx much cheaper and insure it more cheaply too. I hear what you are saying though, i just can't stretch to the sti and insure it just now :-(
Old 24 February 2007, 11:55 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

If you want the car badly enough you should be prepared to tavel and look further a field than Scotland. You can get a blob-eye STI for a steal these days.

I've never bought into pretending a car is something it's not - i think i would always be disapointed when i started to drive the thing. The wrx is a nice car, however it's not 'that' quick by todays standards. Be prepared to be taken on regularly by the have a go heros - personally i would want the performance to back up the looks.

If you buy a wrx be happy with what it is, if you want an STI wait a while longer if you have too..

Last edited by pippyrips; 24 February 2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 24 February 2007, 12:00 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by satilaboy
cheers. the issue i have is that the sti's are expensive up here in sunny scotland and i've been getting silly quotes for insurance (£2000) with only 1 years ncb. whereas i cn get a wrx much cheaper and insure it more cheaply too. I hear what you are saying though, i just can't stretch to the sti and insure it just now :-(

Also bear in mind the modified wrx will end up being more expensive to insure than the standard Sti.
Old 24 February 2007, 12:23 PM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

it was just a thought. i think i'll hang off till i've got the cash and get an sti. cheers for the advice.
Old 24 February 2007, 09:29 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satilaboy
it was just a thought. i think i'll hang off till i've got the cash and get an sti. cheers for the advice.
Good decision. You will be happy in the long run
Old 25 February 2007, 08:51 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Smile Oiii mark

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Nope and nope fella

also,you will find matey that buying said wrx in stead of an sti of same year/mileage etc will save you 3 grand or so,then spend 2 grand or so making it look like an sti

Also,go drive an sti of the same year,and then jump straight into a wrx,and you will get where im coming from,so for the extra intial layout of 1-2 grand you will get a far better car all round,

No questions......buy an sti in the first place,a far better car all round

also,my insurance premium is £65 more over the year for the sti compared against a wrx,A fiver a month

mark

Oiii mark?? i luv your subaru mate ! looks fuking sick !
Old 25 February 2007, 10:13 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

This is from an 03 WRX (bought new) person to you.
Buy the STI!
Dont mess around like i did thinking you will save money, you will not.
I bought the WRX and have since spent thousands on mod's.
No body parts mind, I like the 'sleeper' look tbh. Just engine and suspension, etc.
But if you are planning to spend on it as soon as you get it, then get the STI to start with! You just HAVE to tell the insurance too, dont be a complete idiot and think you will be ok. What if some tw@t hits you? And they are not insured or anything. It just aint worth it.
Think properly where your insurance is concerned.
And buy the STI to start with, then when you get the modding bug, you have a bloody good car to start on.
Meanwhile i have a modded 03 WRX that needs the STI gearbox and engine strength so i can take it to the next level! LOLz0rs.
Old 25 February 2007, 10:30 AM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

I had a 51 reg UK300 and traded it in for a MY05 STI and there is no comparison the STI is streets ahead in every department.Even if it means waiting a few months get the STI you wont regret it.About six months after I bought the UK300 the Prodrive STI came out and every time I saw one which was up here I used to think for another couple of thousand I could have had one if I had just waited.
Old 25 February 2007, 10:55 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

I know what you are all saying. I'm going to hang off and get an sti. tbo thats the car i really want. I'm just so desperate to get my hands on one but i'm skint at the mo. mainly because i'm paying up a leon cupra at the minute. Youd think i'd have learned because it was a scoob i was after at the time but i bought the LC as it was quite nippy and way cheaper than the scoob. thing is i started modding it as soon as i got it - remap, short shift, splitter, 18's etc. If i had bought the cupra R i'd be quite happy for a while more as it's a better car but i'm so impatient i got the standard cupra!

plenty of OT this year and i should be on course for the sti next feb or march! watch this space.
Old 25 February 2007, 01:35 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sti_Prodrive
Oiii mark?? i luv your subaru mate ! looks fuking sick !
ERH !

Thankyou

graphics now removed and headlights blackened with front black grille kit

Looks evil