Novice trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 09:49 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Novice trackdays

Anyone been to a novice day trackday at oulton park?
Unfortunately there are no open pitlane trackdays anytime soon at oulton park,but there is a noivice day in 2 weeks and was thinking of booking a spot.

I fancy myself as a bit of a driver and don't want to blow £180 just to be sniffing everyones bumper.

And what's cadwell park like.

Before anyone strarts i know it's in thr wrong section
Old 13 March 2007, 09:53 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone thinks of themselves as a bit of a driver till they get on track.

A novice day will teach you about ettiquette, it will also show you that you aren't in a race and that you aren't as good a driver as you thought

It will do you good
Old 13 March 2007, 10:07 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Wish I'd done a novice day before jumping in with both feet at a certain German toll road . My saving grace was that I know I'm not very good
Old 13 March 2007, 10:14 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Everyone thinks of themselves as a bit of a driver till they get on track.

A novice day will teach you about ettiquette, it will also show you that you aren't in a race and that you aren't as good a driver as you thought

It will do you good

I understand what you mean and i do realise that track driving will be very different to road driving but i've already had some experience at the topgear track which is a very fast track compared to oulton park.

What sort of cars will i encounter on a novice day gutman pug?
Old 13 March 2007, 10:20 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything and everything at a trackday like that. You'll also have to watch out for people who think they can drive but can't. These are the one's who'll block you and try to crash into you.

Cadwell is one of my favorites - not for the faint hearted IMO. Try Bedford for a safe learning experience.

F
Old 13 March 2007, 10:27 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Me and a mate went to Oulton park a few weeks ago on a Friday.( I wasn't taking part)

Thre was about 20 cars in all but only around 8 - 10 cars on the track at any one time, which gave the drivers loads of room but not so good for spectators.
On this particular day there were........
2x Caterhams
2x mk 2 Golfs
an evo 300fq
Porsche 911
Skyline
M5
Octavia vrs
an old Polo and an Essex style xr3, can't remember the rest.

I have never driven on a track, but watching them, really made me want a go. It certainly looked fairly safe fun.
Old 13 March 2007, 11:08 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for the info lads.
Old 14 March 2007, 08:12 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Me and a mate went to Oulton park a few weeks ago on a Friday.( I wasn't taking part)

Thre was about 20 cars in all but only around 8 - 10 cars on the track at any one time, which gave the drivers loads of room but not so good for spectators.
On this particular day there were........
2x Caterhams
2x mk 2 Golfs
an evo 300fq
Porsche 911
Skyline
M5
Octavia vrs
an old Polo and an Essex style xr3, can't remember the rest.

I have never driven on a track, but watching them, really made me want a go. It certainly looked fairly safe fun.
Get it done - I will film you.
Old 14 March 2007, 08:38 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The sort of cars you encounter is irrelevant. How well organised and marshaled the day is, is what counts. If you think that going on track with a load of Porsche owners makes it safe and quick you are wrong. The likelyhood is they will have a bigger chip on their shoulder and bigger bank balance than the guy in his pride and joy Saxo

The important bit is that you take note of what's said in the drivers briefing, you drive within your limits, look in your mirror lots and if a car is sat behind you there is a reason. He is quicker than you. Indicate and move out of his way without making him have to slow down.

Track driving isn't however without risk, if you are scared of bining it get special insurance, or just don't do it......

If you join the forum linked to :: northloop.co.uk :: we're not playing games :: nurburgring galleries and more :: we can get you a 5% discount with a reputable company.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:32 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Track days are awesome fun and teach you more in the space of a day about how to drive and control your car than the road can. Everyone starts by thinking they are a great driver whether it is at a track in the UK or the Nurburgring until their 300 bhp scooby is overtaken by a Pug 205 and that gets you thinking.

The key to driving quickly is to make it feel like your not - not the other way around

I have never driven Outon Park but I am with Floyd on Cadwell being my current favourite. Like a mini nurburgring, it is narrow (b road width) and with virtually no run off can punish you for driving beyond your abilities.

The best advice I could give anyone would be to take the instruction available at every track day early on - it will help you drive, faster, smoother and will stop unnecassary strain on your car.... and give you more fun/confidence

I still take instruction as even an old git like me isnt too old to learn
Old 14 March 2007, 10:10 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its a good idea to take a novice day IMHO. At tracks like Oulton you can get a lot of very quick guys in race cars etc - and you really do have to be on your toes, if its your first track day it can be a bit much.

Its also very easy for a novice to be sucked into high corner speeds when following a quicker car and run wide into the barrier or have a spin. I have seen it happen.

Also take some tuition, there are a couple of very experienced instructors at Oulton - take a 20 min session with one of them and you will be ready for your first "proper" track day.

Good luck.

PS if you are considering taking up track days as a hobby you might want to consider looking at subscribing to Circuit Driver mag.
Old 14 March 2007, 10:12 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by billythekid
PS if you are considering taking up track days as a hobby you might want to consider looking at subscribing to Circuit Driver mag.
a very good mag that - i read my copy every month cover to cover

that and the circuit guides are essential reading
Old 14 March 2007, 10:49 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

There's a company called Driverskills.com operating at Elvington doing performance driving lessons. As a complete novice I'm booked with them for a full day at the end of March before my first track day at Elvington on 21st April.
Old 21 March 2007, 07:59 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

We are running a Track Virgins Event at Snetterton for complete beginners in June.

Big Power :: View topic - ** Track Virgins Evening - Snetterton 13th June 2007 **