Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How much is my car worth - i've made a big mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 11:02 AM
Andy-runner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is my car worth - i've made a big mistake!

Hi all,

After searching for months i recently bought a mint Subaru STi V3 totally standard bar a Bose/Sony (10 multi cd) sound system, and reverse park sensors. The car is silver with gold wheels and has only covered 70,000 miles with its only other owner (1 previous then me)

As soon as i got the car in Jan 07 it went to Scooby Clinic for a timing belt change and overall health check (£400 bill for rear diff seal and a split suspension mount top) and was described as a mint example.

Then i replaced the no brand import tyres for 4 Brand new Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 tyres (another £400) All bills/proof of mileage etc available.

Trouble is i've done less than 2,000 miles in the car. . . . . .and i absolutely hate it! Its so boring.... Ive had mr2 turbos for the last 4 years and the change is just too great - i intend going back to mr2 ownership asap (no offence to any Scooby owners - who tbh always flash their lights and wave as i go past!)

The car cost me £7,000 (reciepts to prove, which i know was a premium price, but the car really is in that good a condition)

Obviously ive spent the above bills also.......however thinking of advertising it in auto trader shortly....how much is it worth?? £4k, £5k, £6k???

Any advice more than welcome

Best Regards & thanks for looking
Old 19 March 2007, 11:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I would put it up for what you paid for it - Write off the repair/tyre costs, I don't think you are going to reclaim those.

£7K is top dollar, I think the mileage might be a little on the high side for that price, but you might get lucky. Trouble is, you are almost in Type R territory at that price.

I would put it up at £6,995 ono and take £6.5k

Sorry to hear you didn't get on with it.
Old 19 March 2007, 11:12 AM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Why is the car boring??

What BHP/Torque does it have or what do you think it has??
Old 19 March 2007, 11:26 AM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

the thing is an mr2 and an impreza are totally different kind of cars. mr2 is a 2 seater mid engined "go cart" whereas an impreza is your 4 door dare i say it "family car" with a fast engine.

i suppose i know where your coming from as my last car was a nissan 300zx twin turbo, IMO ALOT more fun to drive as you are virtually sat on the floor, can get it sideways at every little bend you came to and has great "on the road presence"......however i wouldnt get one over an impreza! the impreza is way more practical/comfy etc and isnt a "mission to drive" everytime you go out if you know what i mean , and it goes very well and has the handling for it.

for an allrounder its got to be an impreza everytime but if you do want that lowslung go cart feel etc i can see why you would prefer the mr2 mate.

hope you get what you want for her!

gaz!
Old 19 March 2007, 11:57 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear this Andy, i gues when you`ve been used to something for 4 yrs it`s hard to change, as for the price, i don`t think you`ll get 7k for it i hope you do. I only paid just over 9 for my ra v limited with 24k on the clock mind you i was very lucky at that price...
Old 19 March 2007, 03:19 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

I came from an S2000 into the Scooby, and I have a Caterham too, so I know it's different coming from RWD to AWD with electric gizmo's.

However I think the Scooby is a lot harder to drive well, and you can have loads o fun - it's just you have to drive it differently and have different sorts of fun.

Maybe try spending money on a driver training session on an airfield or something like that before giving up on it?
Old 19 March 2007, 04:37 PM
Andy-runner
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies lads - its really appreciated!

I can appreciate the Subarus qualities (and of course "the noise") but i guess the difference is just too great from what i am used to - although credit where credit is due, i would definately say in poor weather/rain etc - there's no finer vehicle on the road as a subaru.

Just not for me.

Re: - driving courses, I attend as many trackdays as i can manage with my mr2 track car, and i really wouldn't want to put my mint Scooby into the kitty litter as i do the MR2!

Thanks again chaps!
Old 19 March 2007, 04:53 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

If you really don't like it or you don't think you'll get to like it then get rid but I think in time you'd love it!

On a serious note though I think you could try it at 7k to see if you could get your money back, see what offers you get, you're best starting high than low!!
Old 19 March 2007, 05:43 PM
scooby276blue
Scooby Regular

if you dont like it you dont like it, get what ever you can for it,
Old 19 March 2007, 09:06 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy-runner
i absolutely hate it! Its so boring
I'm in shock that you hate it, and find it boring. I can understand how it might not be your cup of tea, or as fun as an MR2 turbo, but boring! Each to their own I guess.

Originally Posted by scooby276blue
if you dont like it you dont like it, get what ever you can for it,
I feel bad that you're stuck with a car you don't like, so I'm gonna bite my arm off and offer you a grand. You should take it quick, 'fore I change my mind.