Advice on buying a n/a impreza

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 01:59 PM
Ammaco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying a n/a impreza

Hey everyone im new to the forum and am seeking a bit of advice:

Im considering buying a 2.0l sport 4wd Subaru Impreza, Something around 1997. Can anyone tell me anything about these motors? What kina performance and handling can i expect and is there much scope for tuning the engine? Before you all tell me to buy a turbo unfortunately i cant insure one as im only 19. Can get insurance on the 2.0l n/a tho. Cheers
Old 19 March 2007, 02:02 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

What about buying something else that's faster,then getting an Impreza when you can afford a turbo?
Old 19 March 2007, 02:06 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

The sport is a good car, if you want a car for all out performance then dont get the sport, if you want a car thats nice to drive, reliable and still has the turbo looks then the sport is a good all rounder. and they do handle very well too.
The facelift models have a slightly improved engine and I think this happened in late '97 / early '98. Drive them sensibly and MPG is not that bad, but the flat4 engines are not the best for fuel consumption if driven hard, even the n/a versions.
Its quite common for youngsters to buy a sport and then move onto a turbo later on, and as has been pointed out before, plenty of advice, cars for sale and info on .:ImprezaSport.net:. so go take a look.

But Im pretty sure you wont be dissapointed with the sport, plenty of potential in other areas like bodystyling and if you did change to a turbo version in a couple of years you can always carry bits over such as wheels etc.
If its because you want a fast car, then dont bother with the sport, if its because you like the image and look of them, then go for it. But there are quicker options out there, with better MPG.

Last edited by overboostUK; 19 March 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 19 March 2007, 02:13 PM
Ammaco
Scooby Newbie

thanks overboost. That was very helpful. Do you know if theres many engine upgardes for the 2.0l sport. I mean i know im not gona make it very fast or anything. But woulndt mind spending a few hundred pounds if i thought i could squeeze another couple of horseis out of it?
Old 19 March 2007, 04:53 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a look on Imprezasport that will answer all those questions.

I would approach it from another direction... look into what suspension mods can be done and possible brake upgrades There is plenty of kit available second hand about the place when you know what your looking for and this will allow you to drive the car in a much more controlled manner around corners etc and then come to a safe stop at the end of it.... rear anti anti-roll bars do not come as standard on the Sport but they can be fitted easy enough.
No point going for extra power if the car leans around the corners
Old 19 March 2007, 05:30 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

Yep, good advice there, suspension is always the best place to start IMO and work on improving other items afterwards.

You can buy exhaust systems, air filters could also plumb in nitrous if that was an option you wanted to explore, often considered a bit of a chavtastic mod but can be usefull if you get a good setup without a stupid jet size so you dont go blowing your engine to bits, but the 2.0 n/a is a strong engine so could take a 40bhp nitrous kit without any problems as long as it was healthy to start with that is.

Ebay is good for upgrades for the sport as there is a lot of turbo equipment that gets upgraded and sold on cheap, which the sport would benefit from.
Old 19 March 2007, 07:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i had a nice white sport for when i passed my test at 21, as insurance on a turbo was rather high for a fresh driver

anyways, for a few extra horses, get a decent exhaust, maybe a decat if available for the sport. for the burble, you want some unequal length ehaders, like what the turbos have for the flat for bubububububububub noise. decent air filter like a k&n panel helps the engine breath, and then maybe some half decent wheels and lowering springs for handling.

all imho anyways fella. maybe a nice mid level spoiler too or sti rear lights cosmetically.

if you wanted to fettle the interior, turbo seats are common place on ebay too, without making your car too much like a turbo replica.

scoobymad on heres a good fellow to ask as hes liking his sports over the turbos. sure he can offer tips etc.

andy

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2007, 07:43 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Bought a Sport for my other half a couple of months ago now. It is a great little motor.

It returns around the same amount of MPG as her Mini did. However when I've driven it has returned a lot less for some reason? lol

It looks like a turbo apart from the bonnet scoop and exhaust note.

It currently has the oval shap sport back box on at present which I have been intending to replace for weeks now but not had time or the £££.

Handling wise it is a great little motor.I intend to add a front strut brace anyway. Of course you don't have the power up there but it pulls well enough and copes well on the motorway but will struggle if you want to pull away at the speed of light.

Be sure to look into service history etc. If the car doesn't come with any do what I did and budget for a major service to be on the safe side.
But it will not be cheap. So bare that in mind. I went for a 45k service as its the same as a 90k (the car had 77k on the clock on it at the time if you follow??) This include fluids,plugs and camblelt change which is a must. At the same time i got a new alternator belt fitted. £559 after it runs a treat.

In the next month or so I intend to add to it a cat back system to fit a my98 sport (nothing OTT as it is the misses car and will have my baby in it soon).
Change the air filter for my sti one and a good clean.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 20 March 2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: INFO
Old 20 March 2007, 09:36 PM
gurner
Scooby Regular

i got a 20li sport for sale go on auto trader and put your post code as bs37 4jx and money at 2000 look for blue one 1 mile away from that post code....