ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Knackered Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2007, 12:07 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knackered Impreza

after running a 13.2 1/4 in my standard classic STi, my engine gave up the ghost on the way home, spilling it's contents all over the end of my parents road and ended up sounding like so :

YouTube - Impreza Dead

After leaving it sat at the end of the road for 2 weeks, I pulled my finger out and did some enquiring & ended up choosong API to carry out the rebuild on it.
So 2 weeks ago they came to collect it

Should have it back in a week or so, but 1500 miles of running in to be completed 1st.
Obviously gutted, more so because i've only had the car since late December & generally it doesn't get driven hard.
Will be interesting to see if they can trace a fault as to why it went pop when it was only on about 45k miles.

Andy
Old 28 March 2007, 12:18 PM
Scooby Regular

oops,sounded like someone had put a bag of bolts down the oil filler
hope its good when it comes back
Old 28 March 2007, 12:20 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Looks a nice v2 aswell that does mate, was it a fresh import when you bought it in December or had it been in the UK for a while prior to you buying it?
Old 28 March 2007, 12:22 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

I was the 1st owner as it had only come into the country at the end of November.
Guy from API said how clean it was for an 11 year old car, obviously it's got the odd small ding & a few scrapes on the bumpers, but generally really good condition
Old 28 March 2007, 12:24 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Anyone one know a rough standard time for the 1/4 mile for an STi???
Old 28 March 2007, 06:36 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

That sounds quick for a stock STi2, although not impossible...

Might be worth checking that there isn't an aftermarket Japanese map in the ECU. They often run relatively lean and with a lot of advance. Good for the power, not so good for the engine longevity....

Could be any number of faults as well. Best to get everything checked over (can't go too far wrong with API of course!) but if all checks out okay, get some diagnostics on it (det cans, fuelling) when running - before and during the first time it gets driven hard after the running in period.

Edited to add: if it went pop within 3 months of purchase from trade, you may be covered under minimum legal obligation warranty... although not sure how the drag racing might affect that.

Last edited by Sprint Chief; 28 March 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 28 March 2007, 08:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy Stocker
Will be interesting to see if they can trace a fault as to why it went pop when it was only on about 45k miles.

Andy
Nowt to do with thrashing the **** off it then!
Old 28 March 2007, 08:29 PM
Thedevilandhiscar
Scooby Regular

make sure it has been mapped for uk fuel as you will blow it up again If I was you buy a Z4 ecu and stick it in good for 260 without mods and is mapped for uk fuel make sure you speak with Dave down there and ask him about the map I bet it still has jap set up that is why she blew
Old 29 March 2007, 09:51 AM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Nowt to do with thrashing the **** off it then!
That was the first time it had really been driven hard. I usually just pootle about as i'm training to be a driving instructor & can't afford points
Old 29 March 2007, 09:52 AM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
That sounds quick for a stock STi2, although not impossible...

Might be worth checking that there isn't an aftermarket Japanese map in the ECU. They often run relatively lean and with a lot of advance. Good for the power, not so good for the engine longevity....

Could be any number of faults as well. Best to get everything checked over (can't go too far wrong with API of course!) but if all checks out okay, get some diagnostics on it (det cans, fuelling) when running - before and during the first time it gets driven hard after the running in period.

Edited to add: if it went pop within 3 months of purchase from trade, you may be covered under minimum legal obligation warranty... although not sure how the drag racing might affect that.
Was trade & their maximum claim is £500
Old 29 March 2007, 09:54 AM
New_scooby_04

What fuel have you been using mate?

Earlier JDMs seem less prone to det than V5 and 6s which really seem to want 100Ron, but not getting em remapped for UK fuel is still asking for trouble IMHO.

Ns04
Old 29 March 2007, 09:59 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Thedevilandhiscar
buy a Z4 ecu and stick it in good for 260 without mods
An STi2 has more than 260 as standard anyway

Shouldn't necessarily need a remap, I've run mine on V-Power and octane boost for the last 6 months and had virtually no engine issues whatsoever!
Old 29 March 2007, 11:02 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
An STi2 has more than 260 as standard anyway

Shouldn't necessarily need a remap, I've run mine on V-Power and octane boost for the last 6 months and had virtually no engine issues whatsoever!
That's equivalent to 101RON so it should be ok!!

What do you mean by 'virtually' though??

Ns04
Old 29 March 2007, 06:05 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
What fuel have you been using mate?

Earlier JDMs seem less prone to det than V5 and 6s which really seem to want 100Ron, but not getting em remapped for UK fuel is still asking for trouble IMHO.

Ns04

I've used nothing but V Power and NF Octane booster since I got the car
Old 29 March 2007, 09:53 PM
New_scooby_04

I've used nothing but V Power and NF Octane booster since I got the car

Well, that should have been fine. Anything strange prior to it going pop? Hesitation, uneven idle, more go than usual on boost?

Perhaps a faulty oil pump?

I'm sure David will get to the bottom of it!
Old 29 March 2007, 10:28 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your bad news....... however you have made a wise choice with API when I lived local-ish I used them and they are the best
Old 29 March 2007, 10:35 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Thats bad luck, after 3 months ownership, hope the rebuild goes well
Old 30 March 2007, 06:51 AM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Well, that should have been fine. Anything strange prior to it going pop? Hesitation, uneven idle, more go than usual on boost?

Perhaps a faulty oil pump?

I'm sure David will get to the bottom of it!
The car as far as I was aware was running totally fine, which is why it puzzled me.
I'd like to knowwhat the cause was and if it was something that could have been picked up in the garages supposed series of 'tests/ checks' on the car.
Old 30 March 2007, 06:54 AM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Was obviously upset about it going pop so soon, but at least it'll be as good as new once it's back. Just miss the sound more than anything & to be honest i've got used to cycling over the past 7 weeks!
Old 30 March 2007, 09:12 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

That's equivalent to 101RON so it should be ok!!

What do you mean by 'virtually' though??

Ns04
I mean I have had some minor issues, but they aren't related to the fuel mixture!
Old 30 March 2007, 08:33 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

after running a 13.2 1/4 in my standard classic STi, my engine gave up the ghost on the way home, spilling it's contents all over the end of my parents road and ended up sounding like so :

YouTube - Impreza Dead

After leaving it sat at the end of the road for 2 weeks, I pulled my finger out and did some enquiring & ended up choosong API to carry out the rebuild on it.
So 2 weeks ago they came to collect it

Should have it back in a week or so, but 1500 miles of running in to be completed 1st.
Obviously gutted, more so because i've only had the car since late December & generally it doesn't get driven hard.

Andy

Well, what do expect? Trying to beat magazine 0-60 times WILL result in damage. A dropped clutch at 7500 rpm is a recipe for disaster. Exactly what did you expect to happen? Did you think your car was bullet proof? Think a little harder before trying to out drag a new Golf GTI on the local A road, you KNOW these cars are very quick. I got my fingers burn't last year when I had my MY02 wagon PPP.
Old 31 March 2007, 06:37 AM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Well, what do expect? Trying to beat magazine 0-60 times WILL result in damage. A dropped clutch at 7500 rpm is a recipe for disaster. Exactly what did you expect to happen? Did you think your car was bullet proof? Think a little harder before trying to out drag a new Golf GTI on the local A road, you KNOW these cars are very quick. I got my fingers burn't last year when I had my MY02 wagon PPP.

I was at a RWYB day at Santa Pod not attempting to beat magazine times for 0-60. I enquired as to what other standard STi's run so I could compare my time to theirs.
As for dropping the clutch at 7500 RPM .... is that where my rev limit is?
And what on earth are yo on about out dragging a new Golf GTI on A roads? I've already pointed out i'm a sensible driver due to my planned profession of a driving instructor I cannot afford to get any points.

Andy
Old 31 March 2007, 10:33 AM
New_scooby_04

I was at a RWYB day at Santa Pod not attempting to beat magazine times for 0-60. I enquired as to what other standard STi's run so I could compare my time to theirs.
As for dropping the clutch at 7500 RPM .... is that where my rev limit is?
And what on earth are yo on about out dragging a new Golf GTI on A roads? I've already pointed out i'm a sensible driver due to my planned profession of a driving instructor I cannot afford to get any points.

Andy
A scooby is more than capable of handling a RWYB drag day if nothing is amiss. Some people seem to be under the misaprehension that these cars are made of chocolate and the slightest sniff of the red line will break them. Of course, if you constantly bounce it off the limiter and change gear by dropping the clutch at maximum revs then something eventually will give (most likely your transmission first).

The problems with these cars invariably occur when a) They're not looked after properly i.e. serviced on time with quality components etc b) In the case of imports, run on inappropriate fuel (not applicable in your case. c) Have a fault with the fueling (a dodgy MAF is the most likely culprit) that goes undetected - they run lean and pop goes your engine. Of course, if you give the car some stick when it has an issue, you can run into serious problems very quickly. I'd suggest that you get a knocklink fitted as part of your rebuild, then if you get a problem that results in DET, youll know about it before it costs you another engine.

It will be interesting to see what went wrong with your car. Keep us posted. Are you having anything fancy done for the rebuild?

Ns04
Old 31 March 2007, 11:03 AM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Hi I have 98 sti with 118000 miles. It was imported from new and only used octane booster for the first 40000 miles of its life. The engine span a couple of bearings soon after i bought it (at 113000 miles). On being rebuilt the failure was diagnosed as the oil pump - scoring could be seen on the plunger on the pump. There was no hint of detonation, and since the rebuild (where I continue to only use V Power and no booster) it has been on the rollers at Power Engineering. They didn't hear the slightest tinkle of det. I hope you're back on the road soon without too many parts that need replacing
Old 31 March 2007, 11:20 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Hi I have 98 sti with 118000 miles. It was imported from new and only used octane booster for the first 40000 miles of its life. The engine span a couple of bearings soon after i bought it (at 113000 miles). On being rebuilt the failure was diagnosed as the oil pump - scoring could be seen on the plunger on the pump. There was no hint of detonation, and since the rebuild (where I continue to only use V Power and no booster) it has been on the rollers at Power Engineering. They didn't hear the slightest tinkle of det. I hope you're back on the road soon without too many parts that need replacing
That's s*it luck mate. Not a thing you could have done about that!

Makesme wonder if I should just get the RCM oil pump for mine as a precaution.

Ns04
Old 31 March 2007, 04:52 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

A scooby is more than capable of handling a RWYB drag day if nothing is amiss. Some people seem to be under the misaprehension that these cars are made of chocolate and the slightest sniff of the red line will break them. Of course, if you constantly bounce it off the limiter and change gear by dropping the clutch at maximum revs then something eventually will give (most likely your transmission first).

The problems with these cars invariably occur when a) They're not looked after properly i.e. serviced on time with quality components etc b) In the case of imports, run on inappropriate fuel (not applicable in your case. c) Have a fault with the fueling (a dodgy MAF is the most likely culprit) that goes undetected - they run lean and pop goes your engine. Of course, if you give the car some stick when it has an issue, you can run into serious problems very quickly. I'd suggest that you get a knocklink fitted as part of your rebuild, then if you get a problem that results in DET, youll know about it before it costs you another engine.

It will be interesting to see what went wrong with your car. Keep us posted. Are you having anything fancy done for the rebuild?

Ns04
Nothing fancy for the rebuild i'm afraid, just trying to keep it as standard as possible. I like the comments I get when it's out about how clean and tidy it is
Old 31 March 2007, 04:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what on earth are yo on about out dragging a new Golf GTI on A roads?
think he is a bitter ex scoob owner.
Old 31 March 2007, 06:37 PM
Andy Stocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
think he is a bitter ex scoob owner.
Oh excuse my ignorance, i'm only a newbie