ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Front Windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2007, 09:11 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Windscreen

Might need a new windscreen for my classic shape impreza, currently dont have the screen covered on the insurance so ill have to pay my with my hard earned cash.

Just recieved a quote from Autoglass for over £1500 to replace the front and rear windscreen

Obviously this is way to much money to pay.....anyone have any recomendations on a company to use and what to approximatley pay?

Cheers guys
Old 07 April 2007, 09:16 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Look for small local independants, not corporate cowboys like Autoglass. Id expect to pay well under 20% of that price...
Old 07 April 2007, 09:19 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

3-400 for the front. Autoglass quoted me £425 fitted on the front as my insurer use RAC. Remember to make sure its a proper Subaru windscreen and not a rac/autoglass replica as this can obscure the VIN plate.
Old 07 April 2007, 09:20 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by totalllama
Remember to make sure its a proper Subaru windscreen and not a rac/autoglass replica as this can obscure the VIN plate.
and to replace the clips that hold the trim on down the sides.
Old 07 April 2007, 09:31 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Look for small local independants, not corporate cowboys like Autoglass. Id expect to pay well under 20% of that price...
That seems more like it, £400 still seems pretty steep, does it make that much difference if the window is a replica, surely the fit will be the same?

I take it the clips that I would need to replace would only cost a few pound?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07 April 2007, 09:42 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by Baker
I would imagine so yes,but I've seen one car where they weren't renewed and the trim come detached(albeit at speed),making a right mess of the pillar and roof.
Old 07 April 2007, 09:47 PM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

How bad is the damage? Is it repairable as this will save you a good bit and retain the original screen. f youa re getting it repaired though make sure its someone that knows how to do it.
Old 07 April 2007, 10:18 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baker
That seems more like it, £400 still seems pretty steep, does it make that much difference if the window is a replica, surely the fit will be the same?

Thanks for the replies.
The fit is identical. The 'window' for the VIN plate may not line up right. I got lucky on my bugeye and the RAC screen lined up perfectly.

Dont know about the clips. Bugeye seems to use seals to hold the screen in place?

Originally Posted by Sonic74f
How bad is the damage? Is it repairable as this will save you a good bit and retain the original screen. f youa re getting it repaired though make sure its someone that knows how to do it.
Apparently if the crack is less than the size of a £1 coin its likely to be repairable. This may be an option.
Old 07 April 2007, 11:26 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic74f
How bad is the damage? Is it repairable as this will save you a good bit and retain the original screen. if your re getting it repaired though make sure its someone that knows how to do it.

Apparently if the crack is less than the size of a £1 coin its likely to be repairable. This may be an option
The screen has numerous long scratches aswell as a good few large chips, in general you can tell the screen is past its sell by date as when you clean it thats when you notice all the scratches, it could maybe be repaired but I would like to have a new screen so that is would be totally unmarked.

I suppose a good way to describe the damage is that in direct sunlight its as if sand paper has been used to get off dirt! Im very fussy so this kind of thing gets to me!