Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bugeye wrx

whats the 0-60 time is it true its slower than uk turbo classic
Old 28 April 2007, 10:14 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I'm sure this will have a difference of opinion but according to Parkers website the Bug WRX (not STi) would do 5.9 and the Turbo 2000 (not all classics I know) does 6.1. Bug STi was about 5.2 whereas the P1 was 4.6. These are all according to Parkers so JDMs are not in there and not all Parkers are to be taken as gospel.

0-60 times aside, I would choose a classic over a bug, but a blob then hawk over both (more due to age reasons as the classics still rule the looks). Each to his own but mod your choice and I guess you will beat most book 0-60s.
Old 28 April 2007, 10:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Newage Scoobs never felt as quick as Classics as the boost comes in progressively from lower revs (2.5k) and lasts longer (near 7k) instead of just a big wallop at 3.5k and out of breath by 6k, but they are actually quicker, like for like, unmod'd. They are also better to drive with a much taughter chassis (200% more rigid) as well as a better interior. The image of Classics had also taken a beating in recent years as the value has put them within reach of the lower earners in society Still superb cars, and a performance icon, but their day has long gone I'm afraid. If your budget will stretch I'd try for an early Blobeye personally, and if it has PPP then you'll be looking at official 4.8s 0-60 times.
Old 29 April 2007, 09:38 AM
scubasteve
Scooby Regular

All the figures ive seen state that 0-60 the newage model are faster than the classic
Old 29 April 2007, 12:01 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubasteve
All the figures ive seen state that 0-60 the newage model are faster than the classic

That's because the official subaru figures for the classic tended to be understated. Tested in times by Autocar etc are around 5.5 secs or less for a UK turbo 2000 classic. Logically, if two cars have about the same bhp and one weighs 150 kg more, then the lighter car will be faster.

And what do I own ? A fugly (modded of course ! ).

0-100 and 30-70 times are more useful, although that would be another thread.

Andy
Old 29 April 2007, 03:10 PM
scubasteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
That's because the official subaru figures for the classic tended to be understated. Tested in times by Autocar etc are around 5.5 secs or less for a UK turbo 2000 classic. Logically, if two cars have about the same bhp and one weighs 150 kg more, then the lighter car will be faster.

And what do I own ? A fugly (modded of course ! ).

0-100 and 30-70 times are more useful, although that would be another thread.

Andy
Suppose its got nothing to do with how it distributes the power though hey

Did they not develope new running gear and transmission set up for the newage models
Old 29 April 2007, 07:18 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Slight changes maybe, but fundamentally the running gear was the same. there was never a problem with how the classic "distributed it's power". As standard, the WRX had extra catalysts, extra weight, mapped for smoothness etc and no extra power. Therefore in a straight line drag from 2nd gear to 100+, a standard UK classic turbo is noticably faster that a standard bugeye WRX. The smoother more refined delivery make the gap seem larger than it is, but a gap still exists; this has been shown on numerous occassoins. First gear is more about clutch control and launch, so really down to the driver.

Once you get rid of some of those nasty extra catalysts from the WRX (which mean the bugeye WRX still only really develops decent power from 3.5k-6k rpm), the gap closes to fairly negligible proportions.

I also drive a (modified) bug WRX. As standard, the car was really not that fast in a straight line.

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2007, 07:43 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Newage Scoobs never felt as quick as Classics as the boost comes in progressively from lower revs (2.5k) and lasts longer (near 7k) instead of just a big wallop at 3.5k and out of breath by 6k, but they are actually quicker, like for like, unmod'd. They are also better to drive with a much taughter chassis (200% more rigid) as well as a better interior. The image of Classics had also taken a beating in recent years as the value has put them within reach of the lower earners in society Still superb cars, and a performance icon, but their day has long gone I'm afraid. If your budget will stretch I'd try for an early Blobeye personally, and if it has PPP then you'll be looking at official 4.8s 0-60 times.
lower earners in society i got mine as i personaly think thay are the best lookers and i earn 30000 ayear