Speed humps - a petition we should all sign

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2007, 09:45 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed humps - a petition we should all sign

Here we go

Petition to: Remove all speed humps from UK roads.
Old 30 April 2007, 09:47 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Agree, complete waste of time.

We have numerous speed bumps in our town and they don't help one bit, we still get idiots racing through local streets like its a race track.

To make matters worse, a recent accident was caused by a speed bump, the driver was driving too quickly and when he hit the speed bump, lost control and crashed into a garden wall.

And to add the damage they do to cars
Old 30 April 2007, 09:49 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Plus the problems they cause emergency services.
Old 30 April 2007, 09:54 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

There is no need for them these days seeing as digital speed camara can issue its own fine, sh*te dangerous drivers would soon lose their right to drive..
Old 30 April 2007, 11:29 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

A few local London Boroughs have started taking them out again now
Sadly Lewisham where I live have introduced them to most main roads too!! Seriously!
Old 30 April 2007, 11:57 AM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

They are a pain in the rse. I have to crawl over them and even then the splitter still leaves its mark on them.
Old 30 April 2007, 11:59 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Snazy
A few local London Boroughs have started taking them out again now
Sadly Lewisham where I live have introduced them to most main roads too!! Seriously!
If you live in Lewishman mate, I'd say speed humps were low on your list of problems!!

Ns04
Old 30 April 2007, 12:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

only 5k sigs, going to need a lot more than that to have an effect
Old 30 April 2007, 12:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
If you live in Lewishman mate, I'd say speed humps were low on your list of problems!!

Ns04
The borough of Lewisham mate, not the town
Lived here 27 years now, something I should know ?? lol
Old 30 April 2007, 12:07 PM
New_scooby_04

You've not ventured out of the house in 27 years!?!?!?

Oh, ok, that explains it!!

I'm jesting, I'm from the London Borough of Bexley..... which is going rapidly downhil.....
Sorry, I just had to fend off being 'Keyboard-jacked'!!!!!!

Ns04
Old 30 April 2007, 12:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

You've not ventured out of the house in 27 years!?!?!?

Oh, ok, that explains it!!

I'm jesting, I'm from the London Borough of Bexley..... which is going rapidly downhil.....
Sorry, I just had to fend off being 'Keyboard-jacked'!!!!!!

Ns04
lol aaah Bexley, I understand the jealousy now
Just kiddin. I come round there a lot, when getting out the house lol.
Got a mate who lives in Blackfen near the Audi garage etc.

Face fact south london as a whole aint the best place. Abolish speed humps so we can escape car jackers without damaging our suspension lol.

More to the point.... stop wasting money on "speed cushions" which just cause people to slalom down residential roads, and worse still, have head on duals to use the middle of the road and not give way!
Old 30 April 2007, 12:17 PM
New_scooby_04

lol aaah Bexley, I understand the jealousy now
Just kiddin. I come round there a lot, when getting out the house lol.
Got a mate who lives in Blackfen near the Audi garage etc.

Face fact south london as a whole aint the best place. Abolish speed humps so we can escape car jackers without damaging our suspension lol.

More to the point.... stop wasting money on "speed cushions" which just cause people to slalom down residential roads, and worse still, have head on duals to use the middle of the road and not give way!
On a serious note, I agree: speed bumps are an idiotic idea! They should be removed ASAP. Petition signed.

My other petition, provisionally entitled: Let's just demolish most of S.London and start over is attracting less support!!
Old 30 April 2007, 12:21 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
A recent accident was caused by a speed bump, the driver was driving too quickly and when he hit the speed bump, lost control and crashed into a garden wall.
What a load of bollox.
The accident wasn't caused by the speed hump, it was caused by the driver driving too fast for the road he was on.

I certainly wont be signing it. Speedbumps, if carefully designed and positioned implement a well needed traffic calming in positions such as by schools etc. If an idiot in a stolen car wants to do silly speeds then they probably wont stop him, but they will stop Mr/Mrs average abscent mindedly doing 45 in their comfy quiet box oblivious to the world outside and to the danger they present.

I do however agree that some speedbumps are badly designed (being either too harsh or too shallow to be affective) and positioned incorrectly.
Old 30 April 2007, 12:27 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Nail, meet head !!

This is spot on. The dreaded speed humps have sprouted like so many plukes on an teenagers puss in my mum's village. Few argued with the ones outside the school, but to have them on every through-route, where speeding has never been a major issue ??

Does seem to bring out the worst in drivers too. Was going up a hill yesterday, mum in car, which has irritating speed humps, one for each side of the road. A white van comes down the hill, sees that there are vehicles parked on his side of the road, so the muppet pulls over to my side of the road and accelerates in order to reach the speed hump first !

He clearly didn't here the mouthful of abuse from Mum AndytheJock !
Old 30 April 2007, 12:28 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Although I'm not a great fan of them, the council put them along my street a few years ago, which sits between two main roads into the town centre.

The fact is they have completely stopped the idiots that used the street as a rat run doing 50mph+ As I have a 7 year old son to think about this does make a difference.
Old 30 April 2007, 12:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My other petition, provisionally entitled: Let's just demolish most of S.London and start over is attracting less support!!
I must agree, just not my house though eh, my drive is HUGE, garden is massive and rooms very spacey, so if we can do that ROUND my house I will back you.

I also have to agree, speedhumps dont actually "cause" accidents. And WHEN placed in the places like outside schools they are very sensible and effective.

Local authorities dont help themselves though. It was not til my sister started working at a local school and commented on the traffic passing, that I noticed, a sign which should read "School" with the amber lights flashing, actually read "Bicycles". On a blind corner just before a school crossing!

Some one needs to sack all the road planners, and put in people who actually understand roads. Some of the traffic calming measures, speed hump and islands recently done round this way are a joke. And a number have since been removed.
Old 30 April 2007, 12:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

And another thing. Speed humps in unnecessary locations are a waste of tar - the same village I was talking about has a multitude of potholes !!
Old 30 April 2007, 12:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Although I'm not a great fan of them, the council put them along my street a few years ago, which sits between two main roads into the town centre.

The fact is they have completely stopped the idiots that used the street as a rat run doing 50mph+ As I have a 7 year old son to think about this does make a difference.

After many years, they have put humps in outside my house too. Long road always attracts hard acceleration.
Sadly, because they used speed cushions, staggered, people now use the road as a high speed slalom. Seemingly coming down the road out of control. Most factory standard cars clear speed cushions without issue, so as long as you swerve like a nutter, you can travel the length of the road without slowing down.
Its actually made the road seem MORE dangerous.

Carefully planned traffic calming measures, in the right places work. Overkill, too many badly built speed humps just to use the annual budget.... damages cars, causes people to use alternative routes, still rat running, and speed cushions encourage dangerous behaviour.
Old 30 April 2007, 12:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
And another thing. Speed humps in unnecessary locations are a waste of tar - the same village I was talking about has a multitude of potholes !!
Makes me mad too, you see all these humps, and wonder how many roads could be repaired or resurfaced with it all.
I reckon I would forgive some of the speed humps if some of the roads received some attention, and more to the point, some of the money we all pay for ROAD tax annually.