Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

K&N induction now fitted =problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2007, 03:24 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking K&N induction now fitted =problems!!

Yes, yes, you were all right about fitting this induction kit. I managed to pull the knickers to the side and trully **** my MAF sensor 5 ways from Sunday!! It turns out something caused some sort of surge, so when I reconected the maf it started running rough to say the least. I lost it totally, and thought **** it, I need to buy a new one anyway, so I started to hack inside the sealed unit! I got the cover off, removed the circuit board, and cut the wires that connect to the outside of the plug. dropped off the board with my mate who's a electronics engineer, and hey presto - he only got the thing working again!! Soldered the wires back in, siliconed the top plate back on, yes it looks rough but at least I'm up and running until I get a new one sorted out!! And all it cost me was a pint for my good mate! Even so, it took about 4 hours of p*****g about before I got back up and running again. Result: It now makes a silly noise just before the dump valve kicks in, and no sign of better performance as yet! Need to get a cold air feed next! No doubt PSLEWIS will have something to say about this one!!
Old 30 April 2007, 03:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Let me give you a link that may come in useful in future API Engines just in case like
Old 30 April 2007, 03:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its the worst feeling in the world, fiddling with your car and rubarbing it up.

Especially when others pre-warn you that your probably going to bugger it in the process.
Old 30 April 2007, 03:33 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Yes, yes, you were all right about fitting this induction kit. I managed to pull the knickers to the side and trully **** my MAF sensor 5 ways from Sunday!! It turns out something caused some sort of surge, so when I reconected the maf it started running rough to say the least. I lost it totally, and thought **** it, I need to buy a new one anyway, so I started to hack inside the sealed unit! I got the cover off, removed the circuit board, and cut the wires that connect to the outside of the plug. dropped off the board with my mate who's a electronics engineer, and hey presto - he only got the thing working again!! Soldered the wires back in, siliconed the top plate back on, yes it looks rough but at least I'm up and running until I get a new one sorted out!! And all it cost me was a pint for my good mate! Even so, it took about 4 hours of p*****g about before I got back up and running again. Result: It now makes a silly noise just before the dump valve kicks in, and no sign of better performance as yet! Need to get a cold air feed next! No doubt PSLEWIS will have something to say about this one!!
If this was 1999 I could forgive you but it's not and you sound like a muppet. why do people want to *** their cars up for no gain? idiots
Old 30 April 2007, 04:09 PM
JayR
Scooby Newbie

i went through that a few years ago, unfortunatley i had to get a new maf sensor, 250 quid or somthing. Although at the time i could get huge flames and a proper rally type popping noise when i lifted off while it was broken.!
Old 30 April 2007, 04:18 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
If this was 1999 I could forgive you but it's not and you sound like a muppet. why do people want to *** their cars up for no gain? idiots
You sound like a right moaning old ****, what are you on about - 1999??
Old 30 April 2007, 04:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You sound like a right moaning old ****, what are you on about - 1999??
Because 99/00 are well known for failing MAF sensors after induction kits being fitted.

IMO its funny how 99/00 MAF sensors can just be replaced whereas all the other versions its a whole new air-thingy. Think Subaru knew they were weak points so made them easy to replace.

On here, people are used to reading the "Which induction kit" "Which dump valve" and then a couple of weeks later the "Car running badly" "Engine gone bang, Subarus are a wag of bank " thread.

I like the induction noise but I won't buy one unless I have to.
Old 30 April 2007, 04:28 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Because 99/00 are well known for failing MAF sensors after induction kits being fitted.

IMO its funny how 99/00 MAF sensors can just be replaced whereas all the other versions its a whole new air-thingy. Think Subaru knew they were weak points so made them easy to replace.

On here, people are used to reading the "Which induction kit" "Which dump valve" and then a couple of weeks later the "Car running badly" "Engine gone bang, Subarus are a wag of bank " thread.

I like the induction noise but I won't buy one unless I have to.
As above. It's been well known that these induction kits are not good for the MAF's, yet despite people saying so and pointing out the lack of any gains on pretty much standard engines people who then fit them and find out what they were told to be the truth deserve all they get.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:44 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
As above. It's been well known that these induction kits are not good for the MAF's, yet despite people saying so and pointing out the lack of any gains on pretty much standard engines people who then fit them and find out what they were told to be the truth deserve all they get.
I'm waiting for it to get mapped at Scooby clinic - they charge "120 for the induction kit (which they recomend in a package deal). You obviously know better than them, so I'll take it off!
Old 04 May 2007, 12:54 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm waiting for it to get mapped at Scooby clinic - they charge "120 for the induction kit (which they recomend in a package deal). You obviously know better than them, so I'll take it off!
fella I don't care one way or the other what you do. I'm just telling you what the general experience of people on here is. Hoep your car is sorted and running great again very soon
Old 04 May 2007, 06:08 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

! No doubt PSLEWIS will have something to say about this one!
Nowt worth listening to!
Old 04 May 2007, 06:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Not worth listening to!
And YOU are, are you??

All I will state is that I work with the most advanced pieces of Engineering in the world ...... makes an Impreza look like a Model T Ford!!

And to mess about with the Induction side when all around are saying DON'T - the MAF will fail actually makes me feel even more superior in the IQ stakes than my papers already say I am

Do as pslewis says and your car will last a lifetime - not your lifetime, granted, but mine!
Old 04 May 2007, 07:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes hes quite right - those four-wheel drive shopping trollys do indeed have better turn-in than youll ever find on your average scoobyprezza
Old 04 May 2007, 10:33 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

I've just had the MAF sensor replaced on my MY00 standard Turbo 2000 today. It's never run with any induction kit on it but I suppose 7 years from a MAF isn't too bad really.