ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Nearly New Car - but crap spray job

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2007, 01:04 PM
Zebedy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearly New Car - but crap spray job

This is not actually the scoob but this forum is the busiest car related one I have access to at work and need some guidance before going to te garage this afternoon.

My dad bought a fairly newish car from the local dealership which still has warranty etc you would expect from a large brand dealership.

Had it for a few months now but yesterday I noticed that there are some funnny marks on the front bumper. On closer inspection it appears to have been spray painted and its a rather pish job!

You can see where the paint is on the edge of the trim and lights and there was even a bit of tape still caught in one corner. There is significant scratching under the surface so it is look lie it has been scraped and just painted on top off. It aint even lacquered and the surface is all rough like it has dried too quickly. All in all I could have done a better job...

Dealership have so far denied anything to do with it and accused my dad of gettin a botched job done asking why he hasnt noticed before now - erm cause he doesnt have the eyesight that a 28yr old does and normally parks facing the house you think...

Any ideas what to do or where he stands?
Old 16 May 2007, 02:26 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

A bit late, but was the car HPI checked? Sounds like it has had a bump from what you have said. Can you find an ad for the car from the dealers, if the car is not as stated in the ad you may be able to use this to put pressure on them to put it right or refund the cash. Trading standard, mention them and the attitudes may change. When I was looking for My Scooby I have a look at a number of cars before getting the one I have now, dealers are as bad as private sellers when it comes to bodges on cars, the Main Dealer had cars being touched up outside at the rear of the show room when I went to look at the car, not the best place for paint to dry!!
Old 16 May 2007, 05:02 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

My brothers a panel beater and he repairs unregistered brand new cars for Merc before they even hit the showroom (most cars get damaged in transit).

I am lucky in that I've learnt and also take my brother along when I check out any cars. You'd be very surprised how many cars out there have had body repairs and most of the owners don't even know it
Old 16 May 2007, 05:05 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have spotted that before he parted with the cash!

Sold as seen...
Old 16 May 2007, 05:09 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Should have spotted that before he parted with the cash!

Sold as seen...

1.true
2.that statement only applies in a private sale. the hpi check is your best bet.

5t.
Old 16 May 2007, 05:22 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are given a chance to "test" the vehicle and inspect it at the time of sale there isnt much come back.. There are some laws that specify that the seller should inform the purchaser if they know of any "history" but they can always deny they know of anything..
Old 16 May 2007, 05:43 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Hence the HPI check. If the car is advertised as having had a check or not being involved in an accident then you do have come back. "Sold as seen" only applies to private sales where the onus is on the buyer to check it out before they hand over the readies.

From the RAC website:

The car must be of "satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose intended" - the car must meet the standard expected for a vehicle of its description, price, age and mileage. A brand new vehicle should be in better condition than a 10 year old second-hand car. For example, a nearly new second-hand car purchased at premium market rates which, within a few days, develops a defect that would never usually appear on such a low-mileage vehicle, does not meet this standard. Failure to comply with this requirement (which cannot be excluded with signs such as "sold as seen") is a breach of your rights, for which you may be entitled to compensation or your money back.

5t
Old 16 May 2007, 06:23 PM
Zebedy
Scooby Regular

After a few conversations between dad and garage I've been asked to drop the car off tomorrow for them to take it to Falkirk body shop/

The are to asses and they are speaking to Ford Direct about the history of the car as they purchased it from them.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow
Old 16 May 2007, 10:37 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
If you are given a chance to "test" the vehicle and inspect it at the time of sale there isnt much come back.. There are some laws that specify that the seller should inform the purchaser if they know of any "history" but they can always deny they know of anything..
*****!! If you buy from a dealer you are entitled to 3 months, whatever "test" you do.
Old 17 May 2007, 08:06 PM
Zebedy
Scooby Regular

Good news- looks like they will get it sorted after confirming the original paint job has started reacting to improved weather. No one admiting who done it or who is to blame but fair play they will cover the cost so Dad is happy again.