Running in new STI

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2007, 06:55 PM
scoobymy01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in new STI

Just about to pick up new Sti :-))))

Never had a new car before whats the deal with running it in ? I have a 400 mile drive from the garage i am getting it from to get home.

Thanks
Old 18 May 2007, 07:45 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just take it easy and bed everything in for 1000 miles.
Old 18 May 2007, 07:52 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Hi,

First 1000 miles... keep revs below 4k. (i set the rev warning light at 3800 when i was running mine in). Also try to keep boost levels down... so not to rush the engine to 4k.. jus take it easy and hold that little kid inside back from the sweets!

If possible, on the way back take the back roads.. as opposed to the long runs on the carriageway... this should hopefully allow you to work the gearbox/brakes a bit more and allow it all to bed into eachother nicely (instead of sitting in 6th for 300+ miles!).

At 1000 miles, have first service then slowly start to use the rest of the rev range.. taking care to not hold too high revs for too long.

Also.. never drive the car hard until it has warmed up correctly.. something like 10mins from cold should allow enough time for oil temps to rise.. i always stay below 4k for at least 10mins after starting mine.

Im sure some will say that this is too careful, but its your hard earned.... and a little bit of mechanical sympathy could get you a long way.

Edit: Enjoy it too!! its a great feeling picking up a brand new car!!
Old 18 May 2007, 07:58 PM
scoobymy01
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the info ... cant wait :-)
Old 18 May 2007, 08:40 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Hi,

First 1000 miles... keep revs below 4k. (i set the rev warning light at 3800 when i was running mine in). Also try to keep boost levels down... so not to rush the engine to 4k.. jus take it easy and hold that little kid inside back from the sweets!

If possible, on the way back take the back roads.. as opposed to the long runs on the carriageway... this should hopefully allow you to work the gearbox/brakes a bit more and allow it all to bed into eachother nicely (instead of sitting in 6th for 300+ miles!).

At 1000 miles, have first service then slowly start to use the rest of the rev range.. taking care to not hold too high revs for too long.

Also.. never drive the car hard until it has warmed up correctly.. something like 10mins from cold should allow enough time for oil temps to rise.. i always stay below 4k for at least 10mins after starting mine.

Im sure some will say that this is too careful, but its your hard earned.... and a little bit of mechanical sympathy could get you a long way.

Edit: Enjoy it too!! its a great feeling picking up a brand new car!!
Personally I ran mine in by taking it easy as above for the first 300 miles or so and then started slowly giving it a bit more revs each time I drove it until I was pretty much using it as normal by the time the oil was change at 1000miles.

Did the same with the Leon Cupra we've had for the last 3 years and we've had no problems with it (it also RR'd at 16bhp over what Seat claims it had )

As long as you ensure that your oil is definitely warmed up you shouldn't do too much damage (unless you are sitting on the redline on a motorway for hours )
Old 18 May 2007, 08:48 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainCam
Personally I ran mine in by taking it easy as above for the first 300 miles or so and then started slowly giving it a bit more revs each time I drove it until I was pretty much using it as normal by the time the oil was change at 1000miles.
Bear in mind that the manual states do not rev above 4k for first 1000 miles... i believe the oil used for the first 1000 miles is different to the stuff they will put in at the service aswell.
Old 18 May 2007, 09:19 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Was told by my main dealer that the oil was the same before and after the 1st service, just take it easy and stay below 4k for 1000 miles and try not to get it too warm. I'm sure though I read somewhere that most modern engines are run in on a bench, could be wrong though!!