Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Back from Nurburgring - trip report and need advice for next time!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2007, 02:34 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from Nurburgring - trip report and need advice for next time!

I just got back from Wednesday's public day at the 'ring. 2 scoobies, 2 Porches and an Elise went for our first time and all returned in the same shape.

On wednesday it was raining cats and dogs and we were told it was the first rain for weeks so the track would be very greasy. That didn't even begin to describe it!

I took my 86K MY97 uk turbo wagon that I've driven for thr last 9 years. Power is still as standard, except a Scoobysport backbox. I'm running 4-pot sti brakes/16-inch sti rims and mid-life Toyo T1-R tyres and I had a powerstation bumpsteer removal mod done a few years ago.

As the dampers were a little soft I recently dropped the car off with Len at Subaru4you Newbury for a whiteline anti-lift caster kit mod and KYB/AXG adjustable dampers on Eibatch pro springs, dot51 brake fluid and blackdiamond grooved discs and fast road pads.

Len had settled on a negative camber of 1.2 degrees and toe-in of about 3/4 of a degree if I recall. Although he mentioned it might wander a bit with so little toe-in, it feels ok to me and the turn-in and control at the front is now about the best I've driven.

I remember having just the bumpsteer done a few years ago at about 30K with new dampers under warranty (ah, those warranty days!) and this is slightly better, plus the dampers can be softened for long journeys with the kids or slow commutes or bolted down firm for faster times.

I've done a gentle 700miles on the new discs and pads and Len advised no banzai stops to temper the discs, in contratry to what I've read on the apracing website.

Cold tyre pressures were set to 33psi front and 28psi back before setting off. I has set my dampers as soft as they would go for the trip there 1 of 4 on the front and 1 of 8 on the back for the long trip and decided I'd leave them at that for the first few laps.

We finally found the entrance and car park about 8am and my first lap was something around 11m45, cats and dogs, 2-up and mostly following an Alfa that was taking clean lines, only overtaking a couple of cars and nothing overtaking us except a very nimble racing works mini.

Next was a very similar time lap with my mate driving his '92 911 Carrera 4. Then the rain got even harder, but we had been told the Porsche GT club and racing teams pre-qualifying practice were joining at 10am so we decided to get a few laps in before the quick boys and girls arrived.

Having now done a total of one event-free myself and 1 passenger lap, I went out again and was sideways at the first hard blind right past the pit lane and surprisingly caught it, just, much to the surprise of my Boxter S owning passenger and myself!

Then I found the crest-hidden chicane they seemed to have added to the ring in the last 20 minutes, apparently I was doing about 80mph.

Let's just say the front bit perfectly, but the back swung round at I had to yank for the right hander second part a little too fast. I think we did about 60 feet sideways and backwards but thankfully didn't leave the blackstuff or meet any armco nor following cars. The car had stalled and took about 10 seconds turning over to start (the longest 10 seconds in my life!) before I continued.

I'd be interested to know if my pressures were too high and any thoughts as to why my brakes went off after that lap and on my last two (after a swift coffee and a small desire to lay down in a dark room!) which were very cautious, as I seemed to have less grip as the rain came down even harder. I was very happy to catch a line of the Alfa racing school cars and follow them gingerly for a lap.

On the last lap I passed a crashed Alfa and Integra Type R both of whome we noted seem to have been taking clean lines earlier. I was amazingly slippy, even needing throttle balancing to corner at 60 on some medium corners.

On getting in I heard our 911 C4 had lost it on a fast long corner with a 180 spin and no damage. I passengered his later laps and his too was very twitchy in this weather. Apparently the Boxster S also has the stability warnings and game over lights going nuts too!

The next day I noticed we all drove very carefully for the 450 miles home. After a few hundred miles my pads seemed to have returned to normal service.

Oh and Len was right, I think I enjoyed following a mate's '03 wrx ppp up the Eiffel moutain in the dry the day before even more. If only we'd gone to the track the night we arrived, although the 15 hour drive probably took us all past our best.

Your thoughts appreciated.
cheers,
Rob.

Last edited by RobScreene; 19 May 2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: .
Old 19 May 2007, 03:16 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

join fellow ring fans at northloop.co.uk
glad you enjoyed your trip wet=much slower and different lines for some corners
martin
Old 19 May 2007, 08:15 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Rob.

The ring is a different place with different lines in the wet ..... As Sabine says it takes 100 laps to learn it in the dry and 5000 to learn it in the wet

Northloop??? Never heard of it

As for adivce ....... The next time you go over spend time with people who have done loads of laps, they will be able to help you
Old 19 May 2007, 09:22 PM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

There looks lots to read on the northloop site.

It's currently looking like once a year, perhaps more often if I keep my Impreza as it's value depreciates to a consumable!

cheers,
Rob.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:25 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Rob

Was it you I was speaking to at Len's last weekend?

Mine was the stickered up STI5 RA and we were discussing the Nurburgring and Subaru websites, etc

Cheers

Terry
Old 19 May 2007, 11:42 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobScreene
...Your thoughts appreciated...

I wouldnt worry too much about your times. Its Touristenfahrten not Tourist Trophy and there arent any prizes...

Simon
Old 21 May 2007, 08:19 AM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Hi Terry,
No, not me a Len's at the weekend. And I'd remember seeing an RA!

cheers,
Rob.
Old 22 May 2007, 09:07 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

No worries Rob - are you registered on our local site - Hampshire Subaru ?

If not then come along and say hello
Old 22 May 2007, 10:39 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

with your vast experience and witty banter you would fit right in gutmann pug
martin
Old 22 May 2007, 01:34 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

The 'Ring in the wet is just too scarry to do any real speed.... SOunds like you had a good time though, & glad to hear you all avoided nasty repair & armco bills.....