ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

IS IT TIME FOR A WHITE PAPER ON SPEED LIMIT

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2007, 01:50 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS IT TIME FOR A WHITE PAPER ON SPEED LIMIT

SHOULDNT SOMEONE BE WRITING/SUBMITTING TO GOVERNMENT THAT THE 70MPH SPEED LIMIT IS OUTDATED AND DANGEROUS

ANYONE KNOW OF ANY ONLINE PETITIONS ECT AROUND OR WANT TO GET SOMETHING STARTED
Old 20 May 2007, 01:56 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Careful what you ask for, all the other numpties around will jump on the case and we'll end up driving round at 50 everywhere.
Chances of getting the limit raised - zero!
Old 20 May 2007, 02:09 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

I'm with Andy on this one

You start trying to say that 70mph speed limit is 'dangerous' and we'll all be set to 56mph with the lorries

Starting to think variable speed limits are the way to go - 70mph at rush hour on a lot of motorways, you'll be lucky, more like 45mph - then 70 starts to seem excesive

3am on a sunday however..........
Old 20 May 2007, 03:02 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Check out the AA and the RAC both of them think it should be at least 80mph and have approached whitehall about it.
I personally think that the Autobahn rules should be introduced.
Derestict the MWAY and D C's but install box gantry cameras on bridges.
If 2 cars/vehicles enter a box on the road below at any one time, at any speed. Its points and a massive fine. This equals no tailgating at all. Their tyre tread limit for MOT is 4mm as well. Germany has a very low death rate as a result of this.
It is also points endorsable to lane hog.
Now if they spoke english I would move there!!!.
Point about speed limits by the way, they were set and introduced when all vehicle were still using drums and wires to stop!!!!.
Old 20 May 2007, 04:11 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

This one needs responses I think!!.
Old 20 May 2007, 04:23 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Its an issue requiring sensible debate. Variable limits are the most appropriate way forward as I've noticed that on the M25 they are adhered to by most drivers.

But the government aren't going to introduce changes that reduce the amount of money they rob motorists of with the current proliferation of speed camera.

The latest news here is that police want to site temporary cameras wherever they want and not at 'accident blackspots' plus siting 2 within a short distance of each other (one fixed and one temporary) to catch the motorists who speed straight back up after passing them.

Any way the words 'government' and 'sensible' don't look right on the same page as each other
Old 20 May 2007, 04:28 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
I personally think that the Autobahn rules should be introduced.
The German Autobahn system is a system designed far more efficiently than our own motorway system. I watched a program on Discovery about it. There are design factors in place that stipulate it has be have a certain degree of straightness to it, cannot exceed a certain gradient etc etc. As such the network is more capable of coping with traffic and excessive speed, something that out current motorway network cannot I feel.

Don't forget, only a small percentage of the Autobahn network is de-restricted. The rest has speed limits in place.

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2007, 04:45 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

(in order to placate the saftey nuts in order to allow us to do 90..)

Introduce a speed limit of 15moh around schools at times they're busy - 0800-0900, 1200-1300, 1500-1600.

If anyone tells me its dangerous for me to drive at 100mph on a quite motorway but its okay for them to drive past a school doing 30 - I'm going to smack them in the head.
Old 20 May 2007, 04:56 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
The German Autobahn system is a system designed far more efficiently than our own motorway system. I watched a program on Discovery about it. There are design factors in place that stipulate it has be have a certain degree of straightness to it, cannot exceed a certain gradient etc etc. As such the network is more capable of coping with traffic and excessive speed, something that out current motorway network cannot I feel.

Don't forget, only a small percentage of the Autobahn network is de-restricted. The rest has speed limits in place.
Having recently driven one thousand kilometres on it I can add that it is relatively clear with a higher standard of driving (far less bloody minded ignorant stupidity but f*ck-all by way of courtesy too).

Simon