ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

HKS SSQV 11

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2007, 10:21 PM
seano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS SSQV 11

Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is from an older style hks dumpvalve to the new model, as in ssqv 11. Thanks
Old 25 June 2007, 11:28 PM
seano
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 26 June 2007, 01:15 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

I think they changed the design due to too many copies made as on fleabay.. new design no copies yet..
Old 26 June 2007, 08:26 AM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seano
Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is from an older style hks dumpvalve to the new model, as in ssqv 11. Thanks
theres some info on the new design here mate...

HKS Super SQV Sequential Blow Off Valve
Old 26 June 2007, 08:34 AM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Can anybody describe the difference in sounds, I notice on the link above you can buy different inserts!
Old 26 June 2007, 02:33 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rkbycrof
Hi there,

Can anybody describe the difference in sounds, I notice on the link above you can buy different inserts!
purple insert standard lorry airbrake noise

gold insert very loud lorry airbrake noise

re-circulating kit; silent whoosh free zone
Old 26 June 2007, 03:31 PM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
purple insert standard lorry airbrake noise

gold insert very loud lorry airbrake noise

re-circulating kit; silent whoosh free zone
Not a fan then? I don't know which way to go, all I want is to recreate the rally car chirp, I know this is an artificial way of doing it but I don't want to sound like a lorry or bus.
Old 26 June 2007, 04:49 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Not a fan then? I don't know which way to go, all I want is to recreate the rally car chirp, I know this is an artificial way of doing it but I don't want to sound like a lorry or bus.
they can actually harm your engine so aesthetics aside i'm not a fan; imo they are pointless...best bet is to do a search on 'waste gate chatter' you will get all the info you ever wanted and more
Old 26 June 2007, 08:25 PM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
they can actually harm your engine so aesthetics aside i'm not a fan; imo they are pointless...best bet is to do a search on 'waste gate chatter' you will get all the info you ever wanted and more
I've heard they can harm your engine by diluting your oil with unburnt fuel but i thought as long as you changed your oil more regularly than normal then you should be fine.

I thought the chirp was created by forcing air back over the turbo vanes the wrong way so to speak, but this greatly reduces the life span of your turbo, great on a rebuilt rally car but not so great on an everyday road car.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:28 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

I've heard they can harm your engine by diluting your oil with unburnt fuel but i thought as long as you changed your oil more regularly than normal then you should be fine.

I thought the chirp was created by forcing air back over the turbo vanes the wrong way so to speak, but this greatly reduces the life span of your turbo, great on a rebuilt rally car but not so great on an everyday road car.
pretty accurate, being very lazy I just cut and pasted this from wikidedia;

Wastegate chatter myth
There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter" or "turbo flutter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake and is often stated incorrectly as being a result of the turbo's wastegate closing.

The noise is in fact the air compressed by the turbo passing back through the compressor housing of the turbo after having hit the now closed throttle plate. This is also known as Compressor Surge and over time can result in significant damage to the turbocharger. It damages the turbocharger by bringing the compressor blades (which spin in excess of 100,000 RPM) to a near dead stop almost instantaneously. This puts an enormous amount of stress on the blades which causes them to fatigue faster. To avoid this turbocharged cars will use a blowoff valve (BOV), which allows the extra pressurized air in the intake out. However, in some cases, i.e. where it doesn't open fast enough or is setup to only react to high boost, some chatter will remain.

The chatter noise is very noticeable on WRC Rally cars, where no BOV is allowed.

Don't forget the possibility of Bore wash...tbh there are so many urban myths connected with VTA's its difficult to seperate fact from fiction, i guess you pays your money and takes your chance.

ian