Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

is anyone actually going to buy the new scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 09:05 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone actually going to buy the new scooby?

seriously? anyone?
Old 26 June 2007, 11:50 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not me
Old 26 June 2007, 12:13 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

I would rather stick pins in my eyes!
Old 26 June 2007, 12:15 PM
bagpipes
Scooby Regular

me
Old 26 June 2007, 12:29 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Yawn.....

The model we've seen so far isn't aimed at the modified performance car owner so hardly surprising the scoobynetters aren't jumping up and down about it really.

It's like asking a modified classic owner what the think about the VW golf. Well its crap obviously, puny power some of the best ones run on DERV !!! but lets face it - it sells and sells and sells, holds its value, flies up and down the mway for well over a 100k without drama, without knocking suspension, mafs failing, CELS, detted pistons etc.

Thats the market subaru are competing for now (hence them developing the flat 4 diesel engine). Solid, reliable cars for family owners. If they build something with a better quality interior, better reliablility, better fuel economy etc then they might actually do ok with the new 'thing'.

I might have an STi version in 2009 if Prodrive get hold of it tho
Old 26 June 2007, 12:57 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Maybe me

Wife keeps going on about getting an estate car. That might fool her. Since I have a Bugeye ATM looks are not a big issue. Waiting to see it in the flesh.

But: no frameless windows, equal length headers, means it doesn't have much of an edge over the competition
Old 26 June 2007, 04:42 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

I agree that they are aiming at a completely different market with the new impreza. The thing is you still need a car that can compare with the market leaders in that particular country. In Britain it will be the likes of Focus, Astra, Mazda 3 etc. I'm afraid in this country it fails to compete. It is more on a par with Kia, Hyundai and daihatsu in the looks department, it may be far more superior in the mechanical department but most general buyers will choose looks/price first. Sorry can't see this thing selling in the mass quantities that Subaru are aiming for. If the STI version turns out to be much better, then Subaru can expect the same level of sales as the previous models and if thats the case then they have failed.
All my opinion of course.

Chris.
Old 26 June 2007, 05:19 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

No, Type 25 if I had the Cash ( Come on lotto ticket! ). :-)
Old 26 June 2007, 05:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I suspect the STI might save it (nearly) from a sad death. The rumour of flared arches and a nod to the 22b are the glue holding my fingers crossed

Not that I can afford the one I've got now LOL
Old 26 June 2007, 07:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Not a cat in hells chance.

Would take the new Evo X every time.
Old 26 June 2007, 07:15 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

I shall reserve my judgement till I see one in the flesh.
Lets see what Prodrive come up with

Ant
Old 26 June 2007, 07:29 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funkyspider
Yawn.....

The model we've seen so far isn't aimed at the modified performance car owner so hardly surprising the scoobynetters aren't jumping up and down about it really.

It's like asking a modified classic owner what the think about the VW golf. Well its crap obviously, puny power some of the best ones run on DERV !!! but lets face it - it sells and sells and sells, holds its value, flies up and down the mway for well over a 100k without drama, without knocking suspension, mafs failing, CELS, detted pistons etc.

Thats the market subaru are competing for now (hence them developing the flat 4 diesel engine). Solid, reliable cars for family owners. If they build something with a better quality interior, better reliablility, better fuel economy etc then they might actually do ok with the new 'thing'.

I might have an STi version in 2009 if Prodrive get hold of it tho
That's about as much sense as I've ever seen in one post on Scoobynet. Congratulations. I think too many people on here have an over-inflated idea of their importance in the general scheme of things. The simple fact is that Subaru is a business. If they did their sums and figured out that to make the most money they needed to worry about who said what on Scoobynet, they'd no doubt be beating a path to this forum right now to ask our opinion. A bit of common sense would suggest that in fact fast Subarus are probably not the main breadwinner for the company and Subaru are actually regarded by most non-Scoobynetters as upmarket Daihatsus.
Old 26 June 2007, 08:33 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
That's about as much sense as I've ever seen in one post on Scoobynet. Congratulations. I think too many people on here have an over-inflated idea of their importance in the general scheme of things. The simple fact is that Subaru is a business. If they did their sums and figured out that to make the most money they needed to worry about who said what on Scoobynet, they'd no doubt be beating a path to this forum right now to ask our opinion. A bit of common sense would suggest that in fact fast Subarus are probably not the main breadwinner for the company and Subaru are actually regarded by most non-Scoobynetters as upmarket Daihatsus.
Good points however manufacturers like to have a good flagship model o help sell the boring models hence involvent with WRC. So they will need to come up with a good WRC car which has a similar looking road car (STI?)
And yes subaru should be asking owners opinions. FORD did when developing their focus RS and Fiesta ST (I was one of their focus groups)
Old 26 June 2007, 08:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
seriously? anyone?
I know of at least 3 people who have placed provisional orders for the new STi when it's launched.
Old 26 June 2007, 08:58 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
I know of at least 3 people who have placed provisional orders for the new STi when it's launched.
I might consider another EU import if the price is right but quite like the look of the EVO X
Old 26 June 2007, 10:45 PM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

Maybe the STi - supposed to have the same 2.5 as mine but with better fuel economy

The bog standard Impreza looks nasty but the mockups of the STi I've seen looks tastier
Old 27 June 2007, 12:22 AM
donnas roo
Scooby Regular

Nooooo way on this earth would i ever spend any money on that.
Next car deffo the new EVO, in bright red or black for me, would rather have a 1.1 fiesta than that pile of sh*te that subaru have come up with this time.
Old 27 June 2007, 03:16 AM
blueangel
BANNED

Originally Posted by silent running

Get yerself a vovlo then.
Old 27 June 2007, 03:18 AM
blueangel
BANNED

Pipesmoking Family Man.....hehe
Old 27 June 2007, 08:13 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
(hence them developing the flat 4 diesel engine).
i thought that was for the farming folk?
Old 27 June 2007, 09:00 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I wanna see the STi version before i make a decision.
Old 27 June 2007, 09:15 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

Subaru Impreza STi - Secret New Cars - Carmagazine.co.uk

does that help?
Old 27 June 2007, 11:02 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

That picture is definitely an improvement on the basic model, but cover up the front end and it could be almost any make of car. Certainly not very distinctive.

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in driving it, but it sounds like everything is more refined which may not appeal to the traditional Subaru enthusiast.
Old 27 June 2007, 01:33 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carmagazine
Currently, 70 percent of UK Imprezas are turbocharged and around 3600 are sold each year. Subaru wants to double sales and reverse that split.
By selling 30% of doubled sales = 60% compared to the current 70%, so very little difference in planned sales numbers of turbocharged imprezas But they won't have a turbocharged model for a year after launch, and then it will only be the more expensive STi model As there is nothing to differentiate the base model from its many rivals, there is no way they will make those sales projections For the plan to succeed they need to attract people away from other marques. This car is not cheap, powerful, different enough to achieve that.
Old 27 June 2007, 02:11 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I think the people who are saying Subaru are a business and therefore are entitled to make changes, need to look a little closer. Of course they are out to make money and these days everything is global, so we can't just base our opinions on what we on Scoobynet think of the new model.

But with 70% of the current UK Impreza line being turbo models sold, Subaru is betting big time on a shift into the highly competitive market that other very good models inhabit (Focus, Golf etc), at least here in the UK.

70% is a hell of a lot of buyers to lose, because not only are they switching to a shape that, by general opinion we don't like, and also they lose the base turbo model, their bread and butter model. I think they (and I presume this is Subaru UK) are banking too much on pushing us either to the STI model or down to a non turbo model, which doesn't arrive for some time.

But world sales are where it's at and maybe this blip in the UK market as their world sales go up is less important. But again pointing back at the 70% of UK cars sold are turbo's statistic, this surely means here, in the UK anyway, there is a market for this type of car, so why wouldn't you be in that market?

You could speculate that there are a couple of models that could be sold here as the natural replacement for the WRX (the Jap S-GT model or the US Sedan) even with their failings. But as they are not selling them here then Subaru UK do are not want into that market for some reason. So I don't see how it's easy to brush this off as an apparent business move as surely UK sales will go down - not a business move that appears sound to me.
Old 27 June 2007, 02:28 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Perhaps Subaru have cottoned on to the fact that performance car market in the UK is dwindling

1) Increasing road tax for high fuel consumption...

2) Number plate recognition cameras that can (although the govt say they won't ) be used for speed checks,

3) The posssiblity of having to have a black box in your car that will record via the ECU how 'green' your driving is and calculate your CO2 emissions in real time - for which you can be charged - only for fleet vehicles (at the moment )

Big Brother is watching and waiting... - it's all (supposedly) so we can meet CO2 emissions targets which will NOT save the planet anyway whilst the majority of the world continues to increase CO2 production which they need to do to develop their own industry.

Mick
Old 27 June 2007, 04:00 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkeysan
Better but still think the upper front grill and lights don't quite do it. rear lights look a bit over the top too.
Old 27 June 2007, 04:04 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I'll be waiting for a special model such as a Spec C or Type-RA variant.
Old 27 June 2007, 05:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeysan
Sort of but its still their "Artists impression" of what it will look like so could be completely different.

Until the STI is unveiled we'll just have to keep guessing.

But against the Evo X its pretty buggered.
Old 27 June 2007, 05:35 PM
wayne's scooby
Scooby Regular

not if it looks like a hach back

Quick Reply: is anyone actually going to buy the new scooby?