Exhaust De-Cat Advice !!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 09:02 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Exhaust De-Cat Advice !!!

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new decat pipe to replace the front cat, the one after the downpipe on my MY05 Scoob, There is a threaded hole in the centre of the pipe which I presume it to put a sensor that is from the exsisting cat ??

Do I need any other "fix" to stop any dashboard light coming on or is it straight forward ??

Mark.
Old 27 June 2007, 03:16 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

If you're talking about the 2nd cat (the one between the downpipe and the centre pipe), then yes, you screw the sensor in the hole. It shouldn't turn on the CEL (well it didn't on mine.)
Old 27 June 2007, 04:01 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
If you're talking about the 2nd cat (the one between the downpipe and the centre pipe), then yes, you screw the sensor in the hole. It shouldn't turn on the CEL (well it didn't on mine.)
Nice one that is what i wanted to hear

Means I don't have to buy another part
Old 27 June 2007, 05:22 PM
scubasteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Nice one that is what i wanted to hear

Means I don't have to buy another part
Mine came on on MY02 when i put 3" Decat on I ended up having to have the ECU tweaked to prevent it coming on (was a Fooler or something).

Good luck
Old 27 June 2007, 06:18 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

On the newage cars it is quite likely your CEL light WILL come on. They are different to the older cars. Ring Roger Clarke Motorsports they do a fix - £15 that worked on mine.
Old 27 June 2007, 08:22 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

No problem on my bugeye,not sure on the newer models.
Old 27 June 2007, 09:09 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

shouldnt put the cel light on but watch out for shearing the bolts off which may be seized....
Old 27 June 2007, 10:11 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the advice kind of seems its more than likley it won't come on,
Fingers crossed !!

No doubt will end up having to get something sorted when I replace the down pipe
Old 27 June 2007, 10:47 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Removing the centre cat will be ok without mapping as its actually the least restrictive of the cats and wont make a big enough difference to the exhaust flow to upset the ecu. If you do get a CEL after removing then Hayward and Scott do a 'CEL fix' for about £12 which wires into the ecu - the other option of course is a remap as using Ecutek the mapper will raise the fault threshold of the sensor to prevent the CEL warning.

Its not recommended to decat the downpipe without a remap. Removing the cat from the downpipe makes quite a significant change to the exhaust flow and you will probably end up overboosting which will require a remap to sort out. If you have a WRX then it makes sense to do downpipe and uppipe at the same time. The uppipe cat on its own will not pass MOT and there is no point in leaving it as the only cat on the car. Ecutek map will be around 650, A cheaper option is the alternative offered by Jolly Green Monster (and others) which doesnt require a license fee.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:29 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After using the cheaper alternative for a long while I have made a decision to switch to EcuTek for many reasons and so I am now an EcuTek dealer..

Simon
Old 01 July 2007, 12:41 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by funkyspider
Removing the centre cat will be ok without mapping as its actually the least restrictive of the cats and wont make a big enough difference to the exhaust flow to upset the ecu. If you do get a CEL after removing then Hayward and Scott do a 'CEL fix' for about £12 which wires into the ecu - the other option of course is a remap as using Ecutek the mapper will raise the fault threshold of the sensor to prevent the CEL warning.

Its not recommended to decat the downpipe without a remap. Removing the cat from the downpipe makes quite a significant change to the exhaust flow and you will probably end up overboosting which will require a remap to sort out. If you have a WRX then it makes sense to do downpipe and uppipe at the same time. The uppipe cat on its own will not pass MOT and there is no point in leaving it as the only cat on the car. Ecutek map will be around 650, A cheaper option is the alternative offered by Jolly Green Monster (and others) which doesnt require a license fee.
Thanks for the info

You have stated exactly what my plans are, decat up pipe, sports cat down pipe, and possibly bigger turbo and STI 8/9 Intercooler and then a Remap

Would be interested to know what sort of power output I could be looking at from that ??

Mark
Old 01 July 2007, 12:45 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
On the newage cars it is quite likely your CEL light WILL come on. They are different to the older cars. Ring Roger Clarke Motorsports they do a fix - £15 that worked on mine.
The only thing the ECU wants to see is a voltage drop - do that with a 5 pence resistor!!

£15 - Fools and their money