Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MG ZR

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2001, 04:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - the situation. Im after a P1 but due to my finances, insurance etc its looking like a may to do the sensible thing and hang fire for 12-18mths so I dont need as large a loan.

In the meantime I want a hot hatch to nip around in as Im sick of driving my V reg piece of crap Nissan Primera 1.6 which has less poke than one of the OAP motorised shopping carts.

Looking around there doesnt seem much that really performs and that I like the look of. The Pug 206 GTI looks like a birds car, clios are clios plus the looky ugly, the 106 gti is tiny and doesnt look sporty at all, a golf is too much, the CTR is only just out and a bit out of my budget. Then I stumbled on the MG website and saw the ZR 3dr 160 which actually looks pretty damn mean and I could get second hand for around the £10k mark. Its pretty quick for a hatch - 0.60 in 7.2 secs, 131mph top speed - identical stats to the 206 GTi but from a 1.8 not a 2.0litre. Insurance is good at only £250 more than what I pay for the primera.

Has anyone got any experience with these cars? Ive read a few reviews which are no more than average - saying the K-series engine is being wrung to get to the 160bhp.
Old 31 December 2001, 04:32 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't bother for that price - get summit a lot quicker for half the price.

I must say that the new MG looks like our Astra Gsi (kind of) and has exactly the same performance, at twice the price, and 7 years on.

Old 31 December 2001, 04:37 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And how old is the Astra? Im trying to compare similar cars of about a year old. There are probably loads of cars that have the same performance and are cheaper but I want something new.

P.S. I dont intend buying a vauxhall ever again - my first car was a nova and that was the biggest mistake I ever made.
Old 31 December 2001, 07:23 PM
RS2
Scooby Newbie

Good choice the K series engine is very strong thats why it is used by lotus/caterham, in the the ZR it puts out 160ps this is up nearly 20 on the usual VVC unit to acheive this MGR just modified the induction and exhaust systems so it is still very understressed.
Caterham have got over 250bhp out of a K series so it shoud handle 160 quite easyily.
Old 31 December 2001, 07:46 PM
lumby
Scooby Regular

i bought my missis a ZR the 100 bhp model and its fun to drive it look good as well , we had the side skirts fitted and it looks similar to the 160 bhp now.

trophy red top colour !
Old 31 December 2001, 07:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi, i've gone from a scoob to a zr160 so have an honest opinion.
Mine has now run in at 1300miles and so i'm starting to play a bit.
In the dry the car drives as though its on rails - yep it is that good! in the wet it's hard to get the power down without spinning the wheels (even 3rd) and you have to be a bit more careful going round tight corners as the tyres loose grip.
They all seem to rattle a bit but nothing which can't be sorted.
Fuel wise i can get 32mpg around town.
The ride is firm without being too harsh.
It redlines at 7500rpm (i think, cant remember without looking), but the power doesn't come in until 4000, but the honda vtecs are the same.
The gearbox is a short throw on the 160 and very slick.
ABS fitted as standard which is good in the snow?
The seats are half leather and very suportive.
An ultrasonic alarm/ immobiliser is fitted as standard which works with a remote - convenient.
As for looks - well i have a trophy blue one and can honestly say yes it does turn heads. Spoilers fitted all round, fully colour coded and 17" alloys as standard.
Oh yes - today pi**ed off a saxo vts, he was right up to my bumper for a while before pulling alongside so i dropped it down 1 and left him trailing behind :-) so you wont have to wory about boy racers

Rob
Old 31 December 2001, 08:09 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Do it! MG ZR's are very under-rated and the K-series engine is a peach! My sister has a Rover 200 (same bodyshape and chassis) and the handling etc is excellent - a great basis for a hot-hatch.

As for the elctric blue colour, it's one of the best colour schemes for a car that you can buy at the moment. Certainly gets my attention when I see one.

Good to see you thinking of buying british as well - I know Scoobies are jap but it's nice that MG are making some great cars now (I've owned Rover's and MG's prior to my Scoob).

DP.
Old 31 December 2001, 08:19 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

just wait for the UK sti to hit the showrooms and the P1 might become more affordable a LOT sooner than you think.

laters

fris
Old 01 January 2002, 01:17 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well we know the K-series powers the elise to be one of the all time track favourites so it cant be a bad engine, thats for sure.

I have until mid-april 2002 so a few test drives and I will have made up mind. Hopefully the intro of the sti uk will drop the P1 as it is easily the most sexy car of the decade and I want one badly.

Anyway, enough of my drunken ramblings - a happy new year to all scoobynet users and hope to meet some of you in 2002!!

Simon.
Old 01 January 2002, 05:27 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

P1

If you`re only going to wait 12-18 months then the more you spend now the more you will lose then ! Why not settle for something around 3-4k to tide you over. Being a VW fan as well, I would search out a Mk2 Golf GTI 16V which will not lose too much before you realise your dream.

Some time ago I had one for six years and even after the last six months of P1 driving it`s memory is undiminished - in certain conditions it was far more satisfying than the Subaru is now...but I`m still learning !

Good luck

Old 01 January 2002, 11:09 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hmm its like those damn cartoons where youve got the devil on one shoulder telling me that I need a faster car, yet the angel on the other shoulder is telling me to be sensible and keep my current car so I can afford the P1 quicker.

The one thing the first option gives me is experience with a faster car. Instead of leaping from a 90bhp milk-float-esque brick to a 280bhp beast in one go. When I get a P1 I think Ill have to drive like miss daisy for the first few months