ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WOMAN IN NEED OF YOUR HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2007, 10:26 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WOMAN IN NEED OF YOUR HELP!!

Right guys im hoping you may be able to advice me??? i have just brought cyrstal clear lights for the front end all round (leaving back as standard as cant find any i like). Just purchased a higher level rear spoiler too, but i was wanting to emove the black strips down the side of it, yes i know that they prevent the doors from being banged to a certain degree but have seen one without them and personally think it looks better. Will these strips leave a horriable mark? Would i be better to remove them using a hairdryer as that it melts the glue??? Dont really want to remove them and then have a horriable mark where they used to be, they have started to turn up on the corners in the heat but not enough to see behind to see any marks. If anyone could recomend a way to remove them without leaving anymarks or any products to remove the glue residue i would be most greafull.

Many thanks in advance vicky xxx
Old 19 July 2007, 10:28 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffy-bull
Right guys im hoping you may be able to advice me??? i have just brought cyrstal clear lights for the front end all round (leaving back as standard as cant find any i like). Just purchased a higher level rear spoiler too, but i was wanting to emove the black strips down the side of it, yes i know that they prevent the doors from being banged to a certain degree but have seen one without them and personally think it looks better. Will these strips leave a horriable mark? Would i be better to remove them using a hairdryer as that it melts the glue??? Dont really want to remove them and then have a horriable mark where they used to be, they have started to turn up on the corners in the heat but not enough to see behind to see any marks. If anyone could recomend a way to remove them without leaving anymarks or any products to remove the glue residue i would be most greafull.

Many thanks in advance vicky xxx
I would recommend heating the strips up to sorten the glue, should stop the glue pulling the paint off!
I find Auto glym tar remover is the best stuff for removing any residue, or any other dodgy stains on your bodywork!
Old 19 July 2007, 10:29 AM
AndyWalker
Scooby Regular

heat gun and have some tar+glue remover at the ready - just be careful

then polish when their off
Old 19 July 2007, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hair dryer or heat gun and keep a CAREFUL watch on the temp of your paintwork. It'll blister in no time at all without warning if you get it too hot

WD40 is good for getting rid of sticky residue.

Alcazar
Old 20 July 2007, 05:45 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, if the rain manages to hold out 2morrow then i will give it a go.. fingers xed it works and no horriable mess is left behind..