ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Shift Light

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2007, 10:14 AM
rks275
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Light

After a recent trip to shakespeare county raceway, it has be come apparent that I need a shift light for the next time I go!

have had a quick search around the net and have came across this one from halfords Inazuma Plug-in Shift Light from Halfords Price £39.99

it appears to plug into the cig lighter so must be taking a signal from the altenator will this be accurate enough? it doesnt need to be pinpoint accurate but if I set it to light up at 6.5 i dont want it to be lighting up sometimes at 5.5?

if not what do you recommend?

i like the idea of it being wired to the cig lighter as then i dont have to have it running when im driving about on the road. allthough it wouldnt be an issue to have to hardwire one in and fit it to a switch!
Old 21 July 2007, 12:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why?
There is no need for a shift light, ive owned 2 scoobs over 7 years and never needed one if you cant hear what the engine is doing and understand what it sounds like though the rev range your either. a. new to cars in total,
b. shouldnt be driving

Tony
Old 21 July 2007, 12:37 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

I agree with Tony, Use the money to by some glasses and a hearing aid.
Old 21 July 2007, 02:16 PM
rks275
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Why?
There is no need for a shift light, ive owned 2 scoobs over 7 years and never needed one if you cant hear what the engine is doing and understand what it sounds like though the rev range your either. a. new to cars in total,
b. shouldnt be driving

Tony
don't want it for road use,

i want it for up the 1/4 mile When i was at shakespeare county raceway last weekend (First time i'd ever drag raced) with a helmet on everything I could hear was muffled and hit the limiter in 2 out of my 3 runs because of this, so i figured that a shift light could help me to find out when the revs are at a certain level.

I don't care whether or not you think that shift light is needed, if i'd have wanted to know that i'd ask. I wanted to know if the one in the link I posted that runs from the cig lighter would be accurate or not.

so rather than insulting my hearing and or sight please if your not going to answer the question don't bother posting because I am not interested
Old 21 July 2007, 03:29 PM
WR1JLD
Scooby Regular

Well said mate

There are to many people on here only to eager to take the pi$$ out of other members questions or spelling

If its not constructive Dont bother
Old 21 July 2007, 07:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by rks275
don't want it for road use,

i want it for up the 1/4 mile When i was at shakespeare county raceway last weekend (First time i'd ever drag raced) with a helmet on everything I could hear was muffled and hit the limiter in 2 out of my 3 runs because of this, so i figured that a shift light could help me to find out when the revs are at a certain level.

I don't care whether or not you think that shift light is needed, if i'd have wanted to know that i'd ask. I wanted to know if the one in the link I posted that runs from the cig lighter would be accurate or not.

so rather than insulting my hearing and or sight please if your not going to answer the question don't bother posting because I am not interested

No doubt by the time you have seen the shift light your bouncing off the rev limiter anyway
Waste of time and effort, you want advice about needing one and the answer is you dont need one, 99% of cars out there dont have them and dont have problems if they 1/4 mile it, no doubt if i were you id spend my money on lessons

Tony
Old 21 July 2007, 08:47 PM
rks275
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

No doubt by the time you have seen the shift light your bouncing off the rev limiter anyway
Waste of time and effort, you want advice about needing one and the answer is you dont need one, 99% of cars out there dont have them and dont have problems if they 1/4 mile it, no doubt if i were you id spend my money on lessons

Tony
as said before i dont want advice on whether I need one or not, i just want to know if the one posted a link to would be consistant or not.

My driving is perfectly fine, maybe as I gain experience with 1/4 mileing that i wont need one, but as it stands currently I had my first go last weekend and with 2 out of my 3 runs hit the limited once in 2nd and the other in 3rd so think that a shift light could be beneifical, even if it came on earlier say 5-5.5 rpm just as some extra warning that im getting higher up the rev range.

I dont need one on the road, my road driving is perfectly fine, and I can drive as you are suggesting by using the engine note. but when i got in with a helmet on all the sounds were muffled and I couldnt hear what the engine was doing properly

this is probably something that will improve with experience but you need to remember i've only been once and had 3 runs, so am 100% a beginner, and i feel that a shift light will help me to begin with. I have already made up the decision that im going to fit one and just want advice on whether or not the posted shift light would work.

Please read my posts rather than just trying to belittle me and you can see that all I have asked for is advice on whether or not a certain shift light will be accurate enough because it only plugs into the cig lighter and doesnt need an rpm feed.

its also quite amazing the way that you can judge my driving ability by never actually seeing me drive!

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2007, 09:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Im judging you by you needing another distraction which wont do anything for your 1/4 mile driving rather than keep the practice up hence the driving lessons
My experience on 1/4 miles was hitting the limiter a couple of times, more you do the less times you hit the limiter, same with bogging down the turbo, its all practice and the last thing you need is a cheap piece of crap that does nothing for you except cause you a distraction, you may as well look at the rev counter as thats there for a reason also
As for the helmet, even with that on, your going to understand what the engine sounds like, muffled or not, still the point is why do you need a light?
The answer is still the same, you dont.

Tony
Old 22 July 2007, 10:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses really, some like them and use then, some do not, so not much point telling someone they do not need it (just because you do not) is there

Maybe, one day, when you as good as some people on here you will not need the light, in fact any instrumentation to aid you because you are 'da man' and Lewis Hamilton will be coming to you asking you questions on technique and "what would you do..."

IMHO

Try is and see how you get on with it, set it slightly lower to take into account the time it takes to change (reaction and action time).

will take a while to get it right so practice make perfect.

no idea if this one is accurrate, best get a good one that is though

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 July 2007 at 11:31 AM.