Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

NEWAGE STI SUSPENSION HELP NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2007, 01:19 PM
JDMSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWAGE STI SUSPENSION HELP NEEDED!

Hi People,

As some of you may know I recently bought a 02 JDM STI, 46k miles.

The car came with HKS coilover suspension and although pretty stiff it was ok to drive, however I believe my car may be suffering from the rear knocking which seems to plague all newage cars.

As many others report it happens at low speeds (leaving my car park which is off camber) and pulling out of junctions etc.

The noise itself is sometimes followed by a "boing" (technical term ) sound and the car almost feels like it drops slightly on the suspension like it had stuck and just adjusted itself?? This only really happens when the car is creeping really slowly.

Essentially I am wanting to know if anyone has experienced similar problems especially with regads to the "boing" noise.

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge but can I replace the shocks in the rear of the car or is the coilover set up different?

What do I need to do to get rid of all noise from the rear suspension as I am a bit of a perfectionist and the knocking etc is doing my head!

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 14 August 2007, 02:06 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

If they are coilovers then the standard suspension has already been replaced so you want be suffering from the 'standard' suspension knocking noise.

Its possible that the HKS strut is doing a similar thing though when mine were doing it if was more of a knock than a boing sound!

I would look into seeing whether the struts can be serviced and alos ensure all bolts etc are tight - failing the only way to get rid will be to change the struts which will cost you...
Old 14 August 2007, 03:07 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Hello Mate,

I wish I had HKS suspension but only have the standard STI set....for now
Now I have just had my Drivers side rear Strut replaced as it was also Knocking and adjusting it's self only at low speeds. Now I noticed nothing as to how the car drove, just drove me up the wall with the knocking sound.

Went to my local Subaru dealer and they told me in about 30sec from Driving it. Another way you can tell by jacking the car up and if you have play in the Wheel as if you were trying to take the wheel off .

Rgds

Alex