ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mapping question

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2007, 01:10 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mapping question

If you change the catback system on an STi PPP on an 06 plate would it need remapping or would just changing the exhaust system without mapping be fine?

Also hypothetically speaking, if one had not had a turbo'd car before and thought of putting a louder than standard dump valve on the above said car what would the implications be if any? Would there be any problems running such a piece of kit?

So basically what I'm asking is if I were to add on both of these items would my motor be fine?

Thanks

G
Old 15 August 2007, 01:38 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Cat-back is fine, no remap needed. It's generally only if you replace cats, which on the PPP is in the downpipe.

You can put a BOV VTA on if you want. People do report running problems, hesitation & running rich. Most people revert back to re-circ ones though. I wouldn't bother.
Old 15 August 2007, 01:44 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate!

So basically cat-back is fine but as soon as you start changing the downpipe you need to get it re-mapped.

As the motor comes with around 320bhp anyway I'm not really that fussed on getting more power at the moment as I'm coming from a 220bhp Civic Type R. I'm only really bothered about beefing up the sound, so by the looks of it a cat-back system will suffice.

From what I was reading up on quite some time back the Blitz Nur Spec R seemed to be rated quite highly, what do you think of that system?

I'm ideally looking for something with a nice deep sound on idle which sounds nice and deep again at low revs and crusing speed but then screams when giving it some.

Any suggestions would be welcomed....

Cheers

G
Old 15 August 2007, 06:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

That old chestnut.

There's plenty out there to choose from, the Blitz is a good choice for quality and noise. Bit pricey.

I would try and meet some people with different exhausts. Saves selling it on here when you can't live with it.

Is it a daily drive/family car?

The blitz will be loud. But you get a bung.

I have a bung with my 3" custom exhaust. Out it's as loud as, deep rumble and you can hear it coming from miles away, louder than a afterburner vortex, but with the bung in almost as quiet as standard IIRC. Best of both worlds.

Check out scoobyworld, they have some clips on there. I've had the Ninja and that was an awesome sound on WOT & decatted. Plenty of drone though. The vortex is louder.

Me, if buying again, it would be a custom again or some exotica like Buddy Cub.
Old 15 August 2007, 06:12 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I thought the Blitz as it did sound quite nice with some decent pops/bangs just from the addition of a cat-back.

The car is a daily drive, not family.

I've heard a BuddyClub Spec III and prospec on a Civic Type R and they were ok but a bit boomy, although the sound will be very different on an STi.

As long as the Blitz isn't insane when it comes to volume then I'll be fine, could do with hearing one in person as you mentioned but time and availability of someone local with just that mod can be tricky.

G