ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advert free Scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2007, 11:53 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Advert free Scoobynet

Well Webmaster, you have done me now! An advert free, and more than that, fully configurable advert free Scoobynet!
Many thanks for the option there.
I did just remove the RH one which i found the most annoying.
But since then i could not help myself but remove them all. lol.
A more enjoyable browse for me without a doubt.
So, for once, from me, a positive first post on one of your design changes! lol.
Old 16 August 2007, 01:20 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

This doesn't add up. Surely there must be something negative about it???

I'll feel hard done by if you of all people don't complain about SOMETHING to do with it.

And BTW.. I predict that within a week you'll have them all switched back on again, and will be asking me to add more adverts to the site!!

Glad you like it sir, and thank you for taking the time to post
Old 16 August 2007, 01:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but without searching for 30mins on here, how do remove the adverts?
Old 16 August 2007, 01:24 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Whoa hold on a minute Webby - no one moaning.

there is time yet fella
Old 16 August 2007, 01:40 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Chris

There's a message in your personal message feed as to how to do this. Don't tell me you just clicked the X without reading it first!!

If so, check out the new Premium Memberships and Subscriptions sub forum of the News and Announcements forum.

Cheif

Watchit!!!
Old 16 August 2007, 02:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt like the advert on the right as it interfered with the browsing experience and the full screen look, so I was quite happy for that to go.
The other adverts are less intrusive, but since my membership allows me to turn them off, then away they went.

well after your recent post about the big brand advertisers pulling out and you having to rejig the server/adverts, then since they dont cause much grief or annoyance, then for me they are back on.Its not a major issue as they dont intrude
Old 16 August 2007, 02:20 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thanks Swiss, I appreciate that
Old 16 August 2007, 04:27 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Great isn't it

I've been advert free for ages
Old 16 August 2007, 04:55 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Coffin Dodger, well done. You're so clever.

The difference is, the people who want to support scoobynet rather than you who just wants to abuse it, have a full screen version now. You still don't. You just have a worthless blank space without even the ability to see any of the offers being made to you.

You are abusing the contribution of every member of scoobynet who either pays for a premium service, or allows the banner adverts to download.

You are using up the bandwidth and the server power that they pay for. And the fact you find it so funny, I'm sure goes down a treat with everyone. You're a leech.

-

Thank you to everyone who either pays for a premium service on scoobynet, or who does not use software to block the adverts - which is completely against our wishes and against the terms under which we offer scoobynet.

I apologise that you have to carry the dead weight of this type of clever cloggs, but we will all have the last laugh, and work has already begun on this.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:10 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

You know the worst thing. This particular leech has been using ScoobyNet for YEARS under a completely different name. He's someone many of you will know as an old regular.

He's also been attempting to deceive you all by posting as a woman - which we recently PMd him to tell him to stop, as it just isn't fair to actively try to con everyone.

And this guy has not a single infraction to his name, always posts very respectably and in a friendly way, yet has these other accounts to troll with.

So. ScoobyNet has provided a service to this guy for YEARS, which he's enjoyed and had endless benefit from. But on the side, he's been a) making matters more difficult for us, by trolling, b) decieving you all, c) blocking adverts which means that he's cost us a small fortune over the years and everyone else has had to carry him, and d) finds this whole thing really funny.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Webbie - you'll smile at this as I just spent a day being messed about by Norton where I did an an anti-virus update and when I saw the ads all gone I thought this was part of the Norton ad blocker and not your changes

But since the SN changes I find that usually when I click on a post I lose the connection and have to hit refresh for it to come back up. Irritating. Could this have anything to do with your changes as it doesn't happen on all the **** and drugs sites I visit?

Oh and I am not Coffin Dodger btw
Old 16 August 2007, 05:50 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

David

The ads should not be "gone". So I would be greatful if you would change your settings so that norton does not block the ads on scoobynet.

I don't know what the refresh problem is, but I'll be happy to look into it. Please post in bugs and features, but just do me a favour and get the ads working again first
Old 16 August 2007, 06:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
David

The ads should not be "gone". So I would be greatful if you would change your settings so that norton does not block the ads on scoobynet.

I don't know what the refresh problem is, but I'll be happy to look into it. Please post in bugs and features, but just do me a favour and get the ads working again first
Since the Symantec update I can't even disable the bloody thing (Norton icon on bottom screen taskbar doesn't have a disable option) let alone find an on/off switch for ad blocking. I have mailed Symantec about this and even posted in Computer Related but with limited response!

The refresh thing is just a message saying (Explore cannot display etc). But I think it is Norton related and I only mentioned it if others had had problems. I am on the case! I'll post in Bugs if it continues.

At least the bloody parrot's gone!! david
Old 16 August 2007, 06:07 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thanks David
Old 16 August 2007, 06:08 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

adverts dont bother me (even though they are designed for completley the wrong country)

I'll leave em on to gen abit extra income.
Old 16 August 2007, 06:09 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thanks gazza

The deal is. This community is filled with WAY more people such as yourself who are here for good genuine reasons than with people like Coffin Dodger, etc.

In terms of the wrong country. This is all being looked at now.

Cheers, and thanks again

Simon
Old 16 August 2007, 07:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
You know the worst thing. This particular leech has been using ScoobyNet for YEARS under a completely different name. He's someone many of you will know as an old regular.

He's also been attempting to deceive you all by posting as a woman - which we recently PMd him to tell him to stop, as it just isn't fair to actively try to con everyone.

And this guy has not a single infraction to his name, always posts very respectably and in a friendly way, yet has these other accounts to troll with.

i thought you meant me until i got to the part above in bold

swiss, would you not have to actually click the adverts to have any effect on revenue?

if you switch them off, does that stop revenue to the site? i always thought you had to click them for it to have any effect??
Old 16 August 2007, 08:18 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
swiss, would you not have to actually click the adverts to have any effect on revenue?

if you switch them off, does that stop revenue to the site? i always thought you had to click them for it to have any effect??
I think you will find that scoobynet gains revenue from the advertisers whether we click on the adverts or not. The way I remember it, is that SN as a client to the advertisers,allows them to stream their adverts onto the forum for a set fee .These ads generate income to SN purely on a " they are displayed " basis
If the adverts are clicked then that generates a seperate stream of revenue, like click through.
very basic explanation but I think that is the basics. So by blocking the ads, you are effectively withdrawing the revenue to SN as they count as not being "viewed"
Old 16 August 2007, 10:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I think you will find that scoobynet gains revenue from the advertisers whether we click on the adverts or not. The way I remember it, is that SN as a client to the advertisers,allows them to stream their adverts onto the forum for a set fee .These ads generate income to SN purely on a " they are displayed " basis
If the adverts are clicked then that generates a seperate stream of revenue, like click through.
very basic explanation but I think that is the basics. So by blocking the ads, you are effectively withdrawing the revenue to SN as they count as not being "viewed"

its been a long time since i looked into them, i was not aware that they pay "just to show"