ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How do you know it's MOT time?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 12:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know it's MOT time?

Do you get any reminders or anything, for the first MOT?
Old 05 September 2007, 12:47 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Nope
Old 05 September 2007, 12:52 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

You get a letter from Subaru telling you the warranty has ran out....and they want £1100 to renew it. When you've regained consciousness, ring your fave Scooby garage and ask to book it in.

Cost me nearly £3.00 for a number plate bulb......gutted.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:54 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

The Police will normally pull you over and let you know its run out. Their good like that.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:01 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Originally Posted by Odds on
The Police will normally pull you over and let you know its run out. Their good like that.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I just had the 'your warranty is about to expire' letter about my BMW. They want £608 to extend it for just one year, and it's not even a factory warranty but, instead, a third party insurance product with a £100 excess per claim.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:35 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your mot is due 4 years from the 1st registration date.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

THREE years!
Old 05 September 2007, 02:05 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

bushiwarrior chooses to drive his car like its been stolen - and without an MOT !!!!
Old 05 September 2007, 02:09 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I have a spreadsheet on my PC with all the due dates of MOT/TAX/Service/Insurance for all my vehicles and reminders set in my calander

</geek>

Old 05 September 2007, 03:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

<geek mode>

what sort of calendar do you use? paper ones are pointless, as I never remember to look at them, and I have yet to find a good PC one

<geek mode off>
I normally find out when I go to tax my car I forgot that when I bought my scoob it only had 6 months tax, and had had its MOT cert 3 months before i got the car...yes, thats right it was nine months out of date when I realised. I still remember going to book the MOT. The guy was a little busy and asked if it was urgent
Old 05 September 2007, 03:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's an import, so i'm guessing no letter.

So check the docs, 3 years from the 1st reg date. I think i've two months left then. Bugger!

Sharkman, organisation is a good thing. But you're still a geek.
Old 05 September 2007, 03:45 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
<geek mode>

what sort of calendar do you use? paper ones are pointless, as I never remember to look at them, and I have yet to find a good PC one

<geek mode off>

<Puts hand knitted bobble-hat back on>

I hactually use windows mail calander, which syncs up to my SE w800i ......

Well at least in theory its supposed to do that anyway

<Puts on duffle coat, grabs a notepad and heads off to find some Deltics to spot>

Old 05 September 2007, 03:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

<Puts on duffle coat, grabs a notepad and heads off to find some Deltics to spot>

Old 05 September 2007, 03:52 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I use Google calendar (calendar.google.com)
You can set reminders so it emails you at a chosen point before the event. I set the Mot one to a week which gives me time to check the car over and book the Mot.
Old 05 September 2007, 11:38 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
I use Google calendar (calendar.google.com)
You can set reminders so it emails you at a chosen point before the event. I set the Mot one to a week which gives me time to check the car over and book the Mot.
Now that's just showing off!

Google calendar you say...
Old 06 September 2007, 08:20 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

(COUGH) its four years in n.ireland and we are part of the uk so i guess it wouldnt be any different on the mainland.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:24 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I've always known it to be 3 years in England, so unless its changed when I was not looking...

There is talk of making the MOT biannual, and starting it only after 4 years. My mechanic friend was saying that the intention is to basically have a test that lasts only a little longer than the current one, but one where they charge twice as much, if not more.

This would allow the garage to earn more per hour for testing, while Jo public feeling they have a better deal as its not done so often. Madness if you ask me, all cars need looking at once a year.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:26 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

<bobble hat, with hand knitted gloves, with those string things attached so you don't lose them mode on>

I fell we are starting to see eye to eye here Going to your idea and the Google one

<dodgy mode off>
Old 06 September 2007, 08:31 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

bah, Google calendar is online only, so no use for a laptop on the road. Windows Calendar is Vista only, and NVidia cannot be arsed to write NForce 2 drivers for Vista the last time I looked....bugger
Old 06 September 2007, 08:31 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I have a spreadsheet on my PC with all the due dates of MOT/TAX/Service/Insurance for all my vehicles and reminders set in my calander

</geek>

You disconnect the Crank Sensor after an oil change ............ don't you!?

Old 06 September 2007, 11:52 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Because of my prowess of geeky knowledge of all things mechanical I know that its a complete pointless waste of time

It's only done by religious fanatics as a sacrifice of time to please the MAF gods, which in turn will allow to them to continue thrashing their half knackered engine in the presumed knowledge that it will last forever if driven like a 8year old playing Gran Turismo.

Last edited by Shark Man; 06 September 2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Note: I was actually the one who edited the scoobypedia to say that it was not needed
Old 06 September 2007, 11:58 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Madness if you ask me, all cars need looking at once a year.
I dunno. How maybe cars do you see with brake lights out, indicators (excluding BMW's) missing?? Driving oblivious to it.

A twice yearly check might be a good idea. (with a once yearly charge. )
Old 06 September 2007, 12:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually my BMW has an indicator on the dash to show if any bulbs have gone... the whole 'BMW drivers don't indicate' thing is just as much rubbish as 'scooby drivers are chavs and boy racers', and pretty boring now IMHO.

I don't think a test every two years is such a bad idea, if it means that parts which might last one more year (but no longer) get replaced sooner than they otherwise might. The test would just have to require a higher standard - things which might get an advisory now, such as slight play in a wheel bearing, would become grounds for a fail. The test need not take much longer, but it would mean failing parts would be replaced sooner, and it would be a lot less hassle for owners - especially those of us with multiple cars who always seem to be testing, servicing or taxing something.
Old 06 September 2007, 12:55 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Actually my BMW has an indicator on the dash to show if any bulbs have gone... the whole 'BMW drivers don't indicate' thing is just as much rubbish as 'scooby drivers are chavs and boy racers', and pretty boring now IMHO.
They also have self cancelling fog lights on newer models; So anyone with them switched on really is doing it for vanity's sake (unless it is foggy )

I don't think a test every two years is such a bad idea, if it means that parts which might last one more year (but no longer) get replaced sooner than they otherwise might. The test would just have to require a higher standard - things which might get an advisory now, such as slight play in a wheel bearing, would become grounds for a fail. The test need not take much longer, but it would mean failing parts would be replaced sooner, and it would be a lot less hassle for owners - especially those of us with multiple cars who always seem to be testing, servicing or taxing something.
The problem is there are lots of parts that could fail or get damaged beyond safe limits within a 12month period. Where on prior inspection was found to be A1 condition. The other problem is that many cars now have long service intervals - some in excess of 2 years meaning that more cars are on the road that do not have any form of inspection of its condition.

Tyres being a main point; if driven enough miles, driven underinflated or with incorrect suspension geometry (poor geometry is not a mot fail - maybe it should be) they can wear out like lightening. And it is well known that tyre failure through neglect is a main cause of vehicle breakdown.

Unfortunately there are far to many ignorant car owners out there that do not do basic regular safety checks - many don't do anything <cough: women>. And for that, the nanny state has to do something to help protect everyone from these people causing harm to other road users, the MOT is the bare minimum to ensure that (not enough in my eyes). If all car owners took responsibility for their cars by doing at the very least monthly visual checks on key compnenets such as tyres and outer brake pads (which is often possible), as well as sorting out any strange noises (such as failing wheel bearings) or handling issues (caused the missus repeatedly bouncing up and down curbs ). Then we would not need annual testing, or even biannual testing.

Employers who use fleet vehicle are expected to do the regular safety checks in addition to the MOT due to them being found liable if they operate unsafe vehicles and to ensure employee and public safety. With the general public there much less control on this - barring the MOT.

Maybe the two year MOT would work if stricter enforcement and penalties for unroadworthy cars was put in place. But until that happens, I'd want bi-annual testing.