ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Trackstar (Sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2007, 06:12 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackstar (Sigh)

so i have just got my new scooby and phoned trackstar to change details and activate it in my name. <reply> we cannot contact it but you can have a guy out to fix it for £86 + parts ! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all i need so next question is anyone know what it looks like or where it is likely to be so i can have a look at it and replace the battery if i can on it myself as the bloke on the phone said its probably that the battery is dead because at some point the car battery must have been off for a extended period.hmmm

i refuse to pay £86 for a bloke to change a battery or indeed turn it on even!

Old 18 September 2007, 04:52 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

Im bumping this because I have the same problem!
Old 18 September 2007, 05:05 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stineal
so i have just got my new scooby and phoned trackstar to change details and activate it in my name. <reply> we cannot contact it but you can have a guy out to fix it for £86 + parts ! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all i need so next question is anyone know what it looks like or where it is likely to be so i can have a look at it and replace the battery if i can on it myself as the bloke on the phone said its probably that the battery is dead because at some point the car battery must have been off for a extended period.hmmm

i refuse to pay £86 for a bloke to change a battery or indeed turn it on even!

My battery was removed for 3 months and never had any problems with it.They also dont like telling people where they are in the car as they are so quick and easy to remove which defeats the purpose of having one if the car is stolen and anyone wanting to steal an impreza can just look online if they want to find where it is to make the job easier.
Old 18 September 2007, 05:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I found Trackstar to be a waste of space so cancelled my subscription. They still hadn't sorted my details after 3 months. I wonder what they're like if your car is stolen?
Old 18 September 2007, 06:02 PM
blan
Scooby Regular

try looking under the rear seats i know tracker put theres under there , i had the same problem with my old car , ended up getting the egineer out ,i watched where he went in the car!!!!
Old 18 September 2007, 06:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Most trackers are behind the dash somewhere, depending on who fitted them.

I got a whole new unit fitted for warrenty and peace of mind when mine went up the spout.
Old 18 September 2007, 06:08 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I had the same problem when I called to renew mine. They couldn't find the car on there system so they asked me to take it for a drive and call back... which i did and still with no joy .. anyhow had to pay them £100 to come out and fiddle something for 2 minutes....

Now you guys meation it , it sounds like a scam they have for new customers After that must of made 4 calls and 2 emails for them to send the forms through

Bunch of ankers if you ask me

chris
Old 18 September 2007, 06:14 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing with my trackstar when i bought my car, had the engineer out to fix it, the problem was a dirty sim card, so if you can find the unit then i would try giving the sim card a clean, then get them to do a test track on it.
Old 18 September 2007, 07:07 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

welcome to rip of city I know someone who bought lifetime Subs
and 4 year Subs for speed safe a few months later sold the Scoob £500 down the swanny. no bad £100 a month an then it needs a "Battery" Hooooo Hummmmm what a little earner. then New owner has pay £120 to Subscribe the Same Car

What really gets my goat monies paid to "track" the Car not the owner so WTF new owner new subs, IMHO hard to tell which lot are the "Bandits"

Personnally you'd be better paying £80 for a Disclock and £40 a year to Protect your no-claims Bonus........after Scumbags has stolen and Ragged it, ripped the car apart to find it and IF the "Tracking" device has worked!!!!! what do you reckon you car will be like, Showroom condition ........ Your still going to have to Claim so protect your insurance :

Total waste of Money

Loads of insurances don't even bother to make it mandatory ot have "Tracking" devices now. Most peeps with newish Cars end up having it replaced. IMHO

Tony another totally satified customer,
Old 18 September 2007, 07:14 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
welcome to rip of city I know someone who bought lifetime Subs
and 4 year Subs for speed safe a few months later sold the Scoob £500 down the swanny. no bad £100 a month an then it needs a "Battery" Hooooo Hummmmm what a little earner. then New owner has pay £120 to Subscribe the Same Car

What really gets my goat monies paid to "track" the Car not the owner so WTF new owner new subs, IMHO hard to tell which lot are the "Bandits"

Personnally you'd be better paying £80 for a Disclock and £40 a year to Protect your no-claims Bonus........after Scumbags has stolen and Ragged it, ripped the car apart to find it and IF the "Tracking" device has worked!!!!! what do you reckon you car will be like, Showroom condition ........ Your still going to have to Claim so protect your insurance :

Total waste of Money

Loads of insurances don't even bother to make it mandatory ot have "Tracking" devices now. Most peeps with newish Cars end up having it replaced. IMHO

Tony another totally satified customer,
Top advice and fit your own Tracker and use followus.co.uk to keep a eye on your car, any old mobile phone with a car charger and u can see where ur car is 24hrs a day without silly subscriptions.

Brett
Old 18 September 2007, 08:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, the thing was malfunctioning and draining my battery. I gave them a call and they told me that they couldn't locate my car. I asked them how the hell I was supposed know if my tracker was working if they didn't.
They said they'd come out and look at it for me (cost £80), I told to get their **** sover to me and fix it for nothing, or I'll cancel my subscription.
They came and fixed it for nothing in the end, I'm still wrangling with them over my first years subscription, for which my car was apparantly untrackable.

It's utter bollocks, mainly because you have no way of knowing, on a day to day basis if it's working. And you can bet your life that will take no responsibility if your gets nicked and they can't trace it on the unit is faulty.

Rant over
Old 19 September 2007, 07:35 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
Top advice and fit your own Tracker and use followus.co.uk to keep a eye on your car, any old mobile phone with a car charger and u can see where ur car is 24hrs a day without silly subscriptions.

Brett
Its not particularly accurate or reliable using mast installations to trilaterate your position.....

Quoted best accuracy on their site is 100m, which is unrealistic. Maybe if static for a long time logging data within a very populated cell area. At a guess I would put the reliable accuracy to +/1 1km
Old 19 September 2007, 10:03 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Marky9074
Its not particularly accurate or reliable using mast installations to trilaterate your position.....
There is also another Problem "Tracking" and "feedback" with GSM based systems. For very little money (uder the price of your SUBs) and readily available you can buy a portable GSM signal Blocker

Oh dear that would include the big names in Car Tracking equipment

IMHO

Tony
Old 19 September 2007, 12:47 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

I've no idea what these tracker companies charge etc but we do have trackers on vehicles at work. Unit and installation was £200 plus £19.99 a month for that you can pick it up online at any time see where it starts and stops and more importantly you know its working. There are cheaper systems where they don't ping as frequently ours are every minute. You are also able to set up alerts and ring fence areas so you know when its been moved from a certain area etc, these can be by text message or e-mail. It may be too much money but on the other hand it does give you control rather than a third party company who just use the same device and switch it on when needed.
The other bonus is they do give you an idea the speed the vehicle is going and where its been which is very handy if your car is cloned etc