ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Info on 2003 STi Type RA Spec C

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2007, 03:16 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on 2003 STi Type RA Spec C

Been away from the world of Impreza's for over a year now, and slowly but surely being tempted back!

Seen An STi Type RA Spec C for sale, and very tempted by indeed.

I know sweet FA aout them. Anyone got any good info about them?

Spec? Insurance group? Security etc

Any info appreciated

Al
Old 23 September 2007, 04:38 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mate

Welcome back

It's most likely a spec c and not a spec c type ra. They are a lot more refined then there uk counter parts thanks to the twinscroll turbo system used on the JDM cars. They push 300bhp out the box and boost kicks in very low down the rev range puling all he way to that 8000 rpm red line.

Get it bought you won't be disappointed!
Old 23 September 2007, 05:08 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate. I know very little about them, but its advertised as a type RA Spec C, but i'll take your word for it.

Its got the Roof vent, centre diff, and water spray if that makes any difference?

Are they 300bhp standard?
Old 23 September 2007, 05:44 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask also. Whats the score with getting work done on these? Will main dealers touch them?

Al
Old 23 September 2007, 06:19 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Is this the one for sale in Scotland?? 1st choice cars i believe!! its advertised as a Spec C RA, i have a spec c myself and i know some dealers will service, some wont, as juggers says they are fantastic cars and come better specced than UK ones.
My insurance is only 540 notes from Kieth Micheals, 38, 9 Yrs NCB,no points.

Good luck, Mac
Old 23 September 2007, 06:20 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Is this the one for sale in Scotland?? 1st choice cars i believe!! its advertised as a Spec C RA, i have a spec c myself and i know some dealers will service, some wont, as juggers says they are fantastic cars and come better specced than UK ones.
My insurance is only 540 notes from Kieth Micheals, 38, 9 Yrs NCB,no points.

Good luck, Mac
Old 23 September 2007, 06:35 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Is this it??

Auto Trader Dealer Pages - First Choice Cars

No metal pedals and no "Ring" Sticker, defo a spec c, not sure if its a RA though, i dont know what the differences are TBH.

Mac

Trending Topics

Old 23 September 2007, 06:55 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Thats the one mate. What d'ye reckon? Dodgy?
Old 23 September 2007, 07:40 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are those the right seats?

Don't like the shiny black treatment on the dash - why do dealers insist on doing it?

Otherwise looks like a nice example.
Old 23 September 2007, 08:30 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

It's looks like the motorsport version, Ie: the designed for rally conversion as it's got the throw away seats and normal 4 Pots instead of the Brembo's.
Still a good price though, £400 for pucker seats and then you can take your pick on the brake side. I wouldn't want to be driving that on normal 4 pots
Old 23 September 2007, 08:34 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
It's looks like the motorsport version, Ie: the designed for rally conversion as it's got the throw away seats and normal 4 Pots instead of the Brembo's.
Still a good price though, £400 for pucker seats and then you can take your pick on the brake side. I wouldn't want to be driving that on normal 4 pots
What sort of performance d'ye get out of these things? Are they insurance group 20 like the STi?
Old 23 September 2007, 08:37 PM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

Default spec c

you should get one with all the bits on and with no mods then you can do it to your own taste,plus if its got mods you dont no if its had abit of a life before
Old 24 September 2007, 12:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all acutally type RA's, its just that they drop that part but look at the description in the owners manual, its something like wrx sti spec c type ra, now you have the 2005 model type RA, this is different as that RA doesnt have the same meaning as the normal spec c (as the normal car means race altered and the 2005 type RA means record attempt) but it still has the ra (meaning race altered) in there somewhere

Tony
Old 24 September 2007, 12:35 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

stop being so confusing Tony
Old 24 September 2007, 03:48 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth as I used to own one - the one I bought had been lowered, stiffened suspension and had straight thru exhaust (which gave an extra 20kw atw).

So, it went like a stung cat - not so good in first, but in second when the turbo kicked in it went like a rocket and stuck to the road like glue.

I also own a WRX turbo and in comparison the WRX goes like a Morris Minor - a huge performance difference.

Be aware it's not built for comfort, but speed - so there's lightened glass, no sound insulation, smaller petrol tank and heavy fuel consumption.

The things to query from the ad - my model did not have DCCD, there are no airbags (dangerous when racing) and I don't recognise the left hand dashboard display - maybe that's to do with the DCCD?).

It's good all the way to 8,000 rpm and should top out around the 220 - 230 kph mark and get you to 100kph / 60mph in sub 5 secs.

Make sure the clutch and gearbox are sound - if u do a search on scoobynet about 6 speed gearboxes you will be aware of the problems with them (and not a cheap re-build) - or don't do sub 12 sec 1/4 mile sprints like I tried
Old 24 September 2007, 10:14 AM
silent assasin
Scooby Regular

If its first choice selling would leave it alone , heard some dodgy stories about them
Old 24 September 2007, 11:43 AM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent assasin
If its first choice selling would leave it alone , heard some dodgy stories about them
Thanks for all the replies guys.

What bad stuff have you heard about them mate?
Old 24 September 2007, 12:03 PM
silent assasin
Scooby Regular

My m8 bought a GT4 off them ,they told him it had been full inspected ,needed pads and discs when he went back they tried to fob him off . Also a lot of test pilots go down there to rag there cars . Nice looking car don,t let me put you off , just watch them if your going for a look
Old 24 September 2007, 12:08 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent assasin
My m8 bought a GT4 off them ,they told him it had been full inspected ,needed pads and discs when he went back they tried to fob him off . Also a lot of test pilots go down there to rag there cars . Nice looking car don,t let me put you off , just watch them if your going for a look

Cheers mate, thanks for the heads up. I'm in two minds whether to go through or not.

Like other people have said, a few things dont add up with that car.

Will keep looking

Al
Old 24 September 2007, 12:11 PM
jimser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigAl024
Thanks for all the replies guys.

What bad stuff have you heard about them mate?
not going to comment on their reputation but had a quick look at this car yesterday as its only 10 mins from where i live and im on the lookout for a spec c too.quick look was enough mate.
keighley trade centre plates,front damage repaired by the looks of it.both front wings were different shade from car,front bumper looks like its dropped-although that could be the weight of the splitter on it
also as has already been said car looks like motorsport edition-throwaway seats and standard 4 pots.
hope this helps
jim
Old 24 September 2007, 12:14 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimser
not going to comment on their reputation but had a quick look at this car yesterday as its only 10 mins from where i live and im on the lookout for a spec c too.quick look was enough mate.
keighley trade centre plates,front damage repaired by the looks of it.both front wings were different shade from car,front bumper looks like its dropped-although that could be the weight of the splitter on it
also as has already been said car looks like motorsport edition-throwaway seats and standard 4 pots.
hope this helps
jim
Thanks very much Jim, Yer a star. Saves me driving through to Glasgow.

Theres a nice WRX with Prodrive pack fitted through here in dundee, so will go have a butchers at that.

The search goes on!

Al
Old 24 September 2007, 12:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only buy a spec c if you can live with one, they have harder suspension, no sound proofing and lack certain "comforts" other STi's have.
If your buying just because its fast then dont buy one, you have to buy the car for the full package, not just the speed part of it (I owned one for 3 years loved her to bits but needed a diesel for work so needed to change otherwise would have still kept her but i was running 2 cars at the same time )
Re gearbox faults, this mainly happens to the uk cars due to the cheaper parts they put in there (polyeurothane instead of metal for instance).

Tony
Old 24 September 2007, 01:23 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

I realise that the Spec C has little creature comforts, but to be honest in both of my previous Imprezas, neither have been the most refined drive. I dont buy a car like an Impreza for Comfort and nice goodies, I buy it for the drive, and the thrill.

If i wanted a comfy lazy boy motor, i'd buy a jag, or a diesel Audi. ;-)
Old 24 September 2007, 05:38 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigAl024
I realise that the Spec C has little creature comforts, but to be honest in both of my previous Imprezas, neither have been the most refined drive. I dont buy a car like an Impreza for Comfort and nice goodies, I buy it for the drive, and the thrill.

If i wanted a comfy lazy boy motor, i'd buy a jag, or a diesel Audi. ;-)
I agree. Been driving my spec C for three years and 30k miles ... its still the most comfortable car I've had although that's not saying much and I don't dream of an audi or a bmw.