What to look for in a STI V3

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2007, 04:22 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a STI V3

Hi,
Well I've come back from abroad and taking the hunt for a new car.

The main cars I'm looking at are:

1997 Honda Prelude Type S (Import)

Subaru Impreza WRX STI V3 1996.

Well Ive seen a 1996 STI V3 for sale in Bradford with 56k going for 5 grand.
I'm possibly going to view it. But I need to be carefull I don't get mugged of. So what do I need to check to make sure it's a genuine STI V3. I Imagine it would hav a genuine code or number somewhere.

Also I've asked around about parts and basically been told they are not too expensive but servicings are.

If you would give me and tips I would greatly apprieciate it.
Old 23 September 2007, 05:18 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

I actually owned both cars, and wish I could have kept them both. But although the Prelude was comfortable and a bit stylish I opted for an Impreza for the obvious reasons and I think the classic Impreza will stay sought after for the years to come.

Now for your question, a proper STI ver3 would have:
- red manifold
- redline begins over 8000rpm
- pink badge on the front
- fog covers
- sti embossed on the seats
- higher spoiler than the wrx
- and the VIn number should start with "GC8D4ED"

More information on:
Subaru VIN codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23 September 2007, 06:51 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
What to look for in a STI V3
95RON unleaded petrol.
Old 23 September 2007, 07:45 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Check the plastic mouldings around the front windscreen. If it rusts anywhere it'll rust there. Usually due to a bad windscreen replacement.

Should have had the cambelt replaced at 45k miles. All other services should be every 7,500miles.

The front lip spoiler is not always secure. Check it, it can be a bugger to attach properly as the clips are quite weak on the v3.

Another VIN code page. In case the code is ever so slightly different and you still want to know what the hell the car is Which Car is a WRX STi

The interior will creak and make noises. They all do, don't worry to much. But listen out for mechanical clangs. Make sure you do a few corners on full lock.

Check for slipping clutch. Put it in 4th or 5th at 3000rpm and put your foot down. Revs should uniformly rise with speed when the turbo kicks in.

Check for blue smoke. Make sure it's cold when you arrive.

Check for oil leeks. There should be none. It's normally to difficult to see where it's coming from on a flat-four. So don't bother. Just walk away.

Personally, I'd walk away if there are dump valves or cone/induction filters. Generally, these cars don't like those mods and a bit of research should have avoided them. So if they're still bolted on, I'd look for another.

Check brake disc wear. Not a big issue but if worn they'll need replacing so you should bargain on that basis. Also, check for even tyre wear.

Look under the car for prangs. Take a blanket if you don't want to get dirty - but get as far under as possible. Also, check right inside the boot. Remove the covering and look under the spare wheel. Again, check for prangs.