ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2007, 10:17 PM
duncaz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise needed

hi all just a quick one ive got the money sittin there waitin to be spent on a type r ... ive seen the car i want etc but befor i buy i just want some advise on the car . i used to have a impreza turbo uk model what never went wrong but ive seen a few things about the red top engine. the car im lookin at has 55k miles on the clock so i want to know

1) you allways see ads with engine rebuilds on these cars so ... do all them go at some point or is it just some (like the ones that have been killed all over)

2)is there like a point when it mite go wrong ie say 70k to 80k

3) what should i be lookin for when i view this car in the next few days

any help would be great thanks
Old 26 September 2007, 10:49 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Hey up mate I used to have a type R a few years back and must say it was the best car I have ever owned.
As for your quieries:

1. The engines tend to be very strong. Most engines will have blown up cos of people not using the correct fuel. In Japan the cars are mapped for 100+ ron octane fuel. Unfortunatly the best we get here in the UK is either Shell V power, or Tesco's super unleaded, both are 99 ron octane fuel, so you'll need to use an octane booster to get to the 100 ron octane. Dont worry its not as bad as you think.
2. I never had a problem with my engine, but that depends how you treat it. Imports need a service every 5000 miles iirc, basically just to change the oil and filters.
3. Check usual stuff like oil in header tank, discs/ pads etc etc. Also check the DCCD ( Driver Controlled Central Diff) Flick through each of the settings on the diff and listen to see if it changes smoothly and that theres no "clunking"

Thats all I can think of at this time of night, hope it helps
Marcus
Old 26 September 2007, 10:52 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Oh the cambelt should be changed every 45k so make sure it has been
Old 27 September 2007, 10:37 AM
duncaz
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that marx what sort of mpg did u get and is it the same for all the red top engines with the fuel .... its put me of a little well sayin that its only 5p a liter more
Old 27 September 2007, 07:06 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

I have a type R and best i get is 23 mpg with mostly calm driving, The DCCD will make plenty of noises when in a lock position though, search the forums a juddering at slow speeds or breaking is common!
Old 27 September 2007, 09:34 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

I generally got below 20mpg but then I hardly ever used motorways with it and all the roads around me are like rally stages.
I used to get about 220-240 miles per full tank ( 60 litres I think) thats taking it stead with some fun in between! If I nailed it all the time then i wouldnt see much more than 140 miles!!!
I used to have a Uk turbo many years ago and it basically did the same miles to a full tank