Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buckets or Sports ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 10:10 PM
Shaw.T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I have some advice from the peeps that know....

Cheers

Shaw.T
Old 08 January 2002, 10:19 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

If you're going to be doing any serious track work I would go for buckets
Old 08 January 2002, 10:23 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Buckets brilliant. Got them in my Wagon, and I frequently do single journeys 150 miles plus. Never once had a sore @rse.

One point: If you get sports seats in a 4-door, you get side airbags. Get buckets, lose the airbags.

No side airbags in the wagon with either seat type, so it's not a consideration.
Old 08 January 2002, 10:24 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

oooops... should have said... talking about MY01...
Old 08 January 2002, 10:36 PM
Shaw.T
Scooby Regular

Buckets are looking a winner so far.....
Sorry did not explain ... I am ordering a WRX Import this week and Sports wiv de bags are an option and they are more expensive.
What sort of adjustment do you get on the buckets, Iam 6' 2" in old money..... and I am concerned they maybe a bit restrictive....you can also guess at that height I am not the lightest bloke in the world
Old 08 January 2002, 10:44 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

The sports seats have a good range of adjustment and fit me ok and I'm a tad taller than you. On the twisty bits, however, you are likely to be sliding between handbrake and door. Also, if you want to change to buckets later it's tricky as you need to sort out the airbag electics.

Suggest you find a dealer with a car with buckets and try it before ordering.
Old 08 January 2002, 10:55 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

As a 5 ft 6 shrimp, I couldn't comment on the height issue..

...but one of my staff who I drive around a lot has an @rse the size of a small country (luv U 'Nette!! ) and she finds them dead comfy on a long journey.

Best part is the grip in the shoulder area... Fast, twisty A-roads & you don't move an inch.... guess my shoulder area would be your kidney area though...
Old 09 January 2002, 07:27 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

No opinion on which is best, but for resale the buckets will REALLY help. Subaru had problems selling the sport seat cars, and had to have various incentives to shift them.

Jonathan
Old 09 January 2002, 07:47 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Chins - The dealer I go to had no problem shifting my car (and a fair few others) with sports seats, I would have had to wait 3 - 4 months for the buckets. You might also find some people think of the airbags as a positive thing.

At 6' 3" I find the sports comfortable and they hold me in place (not fat either, thanks though) fine. I have notice shifting in my seat, except maybe to lean a bit.

Saying that I have sat in the bucket seats since and found them to tight at my shoulders (maybe I just was used to it).

Though looking at your post when I got my car the seats where an either or option there was no cost implications at all!

Go to a UK dealer and see if you can sit on both, that way you can make your own mind.

Though since March my car has done over 19,000 so my spine is probably still in place because of the seat and it must also be said a trip of only 150 miles is for girls! <- look a joke
Old 09 January 2002, 08:18 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I test drove a Scoob WRX over the Christmas period and I was told by the dealer that you can now only get bucket seats in the WRX - which is a shame because I found them less comfortable than the "normal" seats I have in my Scoob at the mo.
Old 09 January 2002, 08:32 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buckets every time!

I'm 6'5" and as I like the pies weigh about 16 stone (yup - a lard **** ) and have no problem with them. Like a number of other posters, I have them set in the lowest position as I find the ride in the WRX high compared to other cars - there is a lot of clearence between my (balding ) head and the roof. The seats grip well (but not uncomfortably) at the shoulders and are great at holding you in on the twisties. My longest journey so far was 350 miles (about 6 hours) and no discomfort - unlike my previous VW's.

As a clincher, check out the threads by D T-S and Pete Croney who have replaced their Sports seats with aftermarket buckets due to a lack of lateral support for track use. So far I have only been on track at Mallory - which has a good mix of high speed corners and an excellent hairpin - without any trouble!

Duncan
Old 09 January 2002, 08:48 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

We did have a debate on this a while back - see here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum1/HTML/014446.html

And I replaced mine with:

For road use, they are a bit of a compromise (but I love them), for track use, the sports seats have zero lateral support, and you can't use harnesses with them.
Old 09 January 2002, 12:48 PM
Shaw.T
Scooby Regular

Spot on.... Thanks Guys/Gals/Peeps of all shapes and sizes !

Just been down to local dealer...and.... Buckets it is Very Snug but comfy...!

Does anyone know where I can get a Shoe Horn and Bulk Vaseline tubs I need the shoe horn to get in and out and Ill just eat the vaseline

Thanks again some good comments..

Shaw.T
Old 09 January 2002, 01:53 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Wouldnt black harness's have looked better????

Ive got the Sports Seats but had them done in leather. Im 18stone and the buckets are way too thin. If your a wide build try before you buy.

If i were a skinny id go for the buckets cause they are way nicer looking.

Jza
Old 09 January 2002, 01:57 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Jza - black - no way - they wouldn't stand out then, would they

You wouldn't find a peacock with a brown tail now, would you
Old 01 September 2002, 08:22 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Buckets without a doubt, I'm the same height but maybe not as wide, you said it. The height adjustment is quite good but admittedly mine is set very close to the lowest setting, not because of the head room, I just tend to find that the ride height in the Impreza is higher than my last car and I do like to sit nice and low, hence this setting. I must have easily 4" if not 5" between the roof and my barnet, and that's with my AFRO, no not really. As for width, they great they hug well and I think this can only improve the wider you are, within reason of course.

Anyway that's my peniths worth, buckets get um.

boultsy.

Edited to say, I have had back problems in the past, about a year ago, and tend to get a slight ache when driving long distances, but with buckets it's no better or worse.

[Edited by boultsy - 1/9/2002 8:31:42 AM]