ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 10:12 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nurburgring

I know a few of you have done this, but how do I go about getting myself and car over there and giving it a damn good thrashing?

Do I drive the car over or whack it on a low loader? how long does it take to get there, and how much?!?
Old 03 October 2007, 10:30 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

all the info you need is at :: northloop.co.uk :: we're not playing games :: nurburgring galleries and more :: and Ben Lovejoy's Nurburgring Nordschleife website

And going over for the first time with the intention of giving it "a damn good thrashing" may prove to be very expensive.

Steve
Old 03 October 2007, 10:33 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Budget £600 to £700 for a weekend plus the work on your car to make it ready.

As said come over to the Northloop forum and we will help you out.

Gary
Old 03 October 2007, 10:48 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Just went over with the bike. Great place (cheap) to stay the On Road Cafe in Leimbach, brilliant owner (paid my mates fine when he crashed) and about 5km from the ring entry at Adenau. (if you enter at Adenau you get a lap and half for your wedge)

***onRoad Cafe Motorsport Treff/Hotel am Nürnburgring***

Good beer too.

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 10:51 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

When you say "make it ready" what exactly would I need to do?!?
Old 03 October 2007, 10:57 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Make sure everything works!

New tyres (you'll hammer them) new brake fluid and make sure discs + pads are meaty. Change the oil, make sure you don't have any leaks etc etc etc

All the stuff you should be doing but possibly don't! ha

5t
Old 03 October 2007, 11:05 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

You don't need new tyres for the nurby, in fact, from experience, I'd stick with whatever tyres you've got on (if they're legal) and get some new ones when you get back. I made the mistake of getting new tyres last time I went. There is no need, especially at this time of year as the track was wet most of the time, which kept speeds down, and tyre wear to a minimum.
As has been mentioned before, Northloop is the place to go ask questions, but please do some reading first by using the search facility.
Then go have a read of the excellent guide and trip reports at Ben Lovejoys site: Ben Lovejoy's Nurburgring Nordschleife website

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2007, 11:10 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
You don't need new tyres for the nurby, in fact, from experience, I'd stick with whatever tyres you've got on (if they're legal) and get some new ones when you get back. I made the mistake of getting new tyres last time I went. There is no need, especially at this time of year as the track was wet most of the time, which kept speeds down, and tyre wear to a minimum.
Basically an expansion on what i was getting at - make sure your tyres have plenty in them - good grip (wet and dry) is essential as the surface changes a lot and it can be hammering with rain on one section and dry as on another.

Seriously check out the On Road Cafe though.

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:15 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
(if you enter at Adenau you get a lap and half for your wedge)

Not convinced this is the case. Don't you have to buy a 1 1/2 lap ticket from Adenau?
Old 03 October 2007, 11:19 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
As has been mentioned before, Northloop is the place to go ask questions, but please do some reading first by using the search facility.
Then go have a read of the excellent guide and trip reports at Ben Lovejoys site: Ben Lovejoy's Nurburgring Nordschleife website

FAQ section is your friend
Old 03 October 2007, 11:20 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Gutmann Pug:

To be fair, we found out about it after we'd been on the ring. Some bloke in an old racer, (apparently used to belong to Damon Hill's granny or something) told us to do it because you get a lap and half.

I have no reason to doubt him. Certainly seems worth a look.

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:22 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Remember as well you smack it into the Armco - you pay for it (the Armco)

so take your credit card
Old 03 October 2007, 11:25 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Gutmann Pug:

To be fair, we found out about it after we'd been on the ring. Some bloke in an old racer, (apparently used to belong to Damon Hill's granny or something) told us to do it because you get a lap and half.

I have no reason to doubt him. Certainly seems worth a look.

5t.
You have to buy a lap and a half ticket, so it doesn't work
Old 03 October 2007, 11:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

There are loads of things to think about and arrange before you go and when you are there.

Stuff like keeping all the required docs in the car when on track
Having the ability to pay a big bill on the spot
Insurance

etc etc etc ........

Too much to go into but all detailed elsewhere
Old 03 October 2007, 11:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
You have to buy a lap and a half ticket, so it doesn't work
Does if you want to do a lap and a bit - plus the queues for the cash desk seemed a lot smaller!

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:48 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I was just pointing out that it doesn't get you a bargain. You pay for the lap and a half and not just the lap
Old 03 October 2007, 12:15 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Do not take a stop watch and dont try to 'thrash' anything, because it will end in tears...
Old 03 October 2007, 12:23 PM
davcom
Scooby Regular

seems like the ring can eat you for breakfast if you don't know the traffic. I'll keep it cool I think! Still, do I need to drive the car there and back or get it transported?
Old 03 October 2007, 12:27 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

transport it if you like (at least if it goes bang you'll be able to get it home again)

If it is road legal (and you aren't on an organised track day) though just drive it to germany.

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 03 October 2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It HAS to be road legal for it to be driven on the ring. Unless you are using it on one of the rare closed track days.
Old 03 October 2007, 01:25 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

There are loads of things to think about and arrange before you go and when you are there.

Stuff like keeping all the required docs in the car when on track
Having the ability to pay a big bill on the spot
Insurance

Check road insurance covers you

Most European breakdown Insurances have the "Ring" as an exclusion zone so check policy first, we found out to our cost. M8's Engine popped on 1st sighting lap (giving even less than he did on the road there IIRC 200 euro's for breakdown off Ring.

Rang RAC or AA Gold gave location as Ring carpark and they policy imediately Cancelled his Policy, 15 of us booked up job lot and we told them where we were going

Subaru recovery actually recovered it from our hotel about 10k away perhaps if we'd have got the Car back to hotel we wouldn't have had Problems with RAC/aa

Cost are very expensive about Barriers £200 per metre and track closed £1000 per hour and have to pay for all woorkers @ hourly rate and cleanup materials ( might be euro's not pounds) so bills can soon mount up

Also posible Police on spot fine aswell

Tony
Old 03 October 2007, 01:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

My mate did ok when he crashed his bike. Despite the track closure he was charged 150 euro for the recovery and that was all. He was fined by the police for speeding though, their evidence? The fact he crashed, that was 35 euro. He did miss the armco though and it was a wednesday night so track was shut about 20 mins before end of session.

5t
Old 03 October 2007, 05:19 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The ring is a scary place, especially if you only do one lap then continue or your journey. I popped in for a one lap experience whilst on my way back from a tour of northern Germany. It was a great experience for the short time it was. Vehicle FJR1300-de panniered to go faster

Will try and go back one day and have several laps

Andy
Old 03 October 2007, 05:59 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

All German traffic laws apply too...
Old 03 October 2007, 06:05 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
The ring is a scary place, especially if you only do one lap then continue or your journey. I popped in for a one lap experience whilst on my way back from a tour of northern Germany. It was a great experience for the short time it was. Vehicle FJR1300-de panniered to go faster

Will try and go back one day and have several laps

Andy

Same bike my mate binned! That said he's done 15km in about 6 mins so must have been on for some sort of FJR record!

5t.
Old 03 October 2007, 07:52 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
and track closed £1000 per hour and have to pay for all woorkers @ hourly rate and cleanup materials ( might be euro's not pounds) so bills can soon mount up
Cost me £1000 for 15 mins closure, recovery and a bit of sand.
Old 05 October 2007, 07:17 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

We've been trying to put something together on Northloop to aid newbies at the ring. Have a look at this and let me know what you think. It's still only a draft.

YouTube - Nurburgring Safety Film
Old 05 October 2007, 07:37 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

We've been trying to put something together on Northloop to aid newbies at the ring. Have a look at this and let me know what you think. It's still only a draft.

YouTube - Nurburgring Safety Film
Change the music is my first impression, I'm finding it hard to make it all the way through it without turning it off.

2nd bit of music is 'on message though'

Crash helmets aren't 'mandatory' and it's a bit disingenuous to suggest they are. This is a 'normal road' remember.

Telling people about Adenauer Forst is a good idea, obviously the more time noobs are told about that particular hazard the less they'll come off the track

30kph speed limit under a yellow flag- I thought it was 50 even though that could be too fast in some circumstances. Thanks for the information.

This is not GT4-many first timers would do well to heed this. I've talked to quite a few people in the car park who've binned it because they 'knew the track'

Perhaps something else worth mentioning would be to respect the local speed limits and don't drive like a bell end on the local roads? I saw an English MKII Golf lose it on the hill down into Adenau and hit some poor old dear in her car coming the opposite way. That was by no means the only example I've seen of 'ring mist' driving on local roads either.

Overall I think the video is pretty slick, nice examples to back up the advice and clear.

Last edited by NACRO; 05 October 2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05 October 2007, 11:37 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Regarding getting over there from Calais its 4 hours on a very good run, usually 5. If you've got a particular ferry / train booked for the return then 5 hours is the minimum time to give yourself - more if you're going to hit the rush hour in Belguim
Old 05 October 2007, 11:48 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch the speed limits in France and Belgium - The are **** hot and out to get ya If you're in a convoy then they may stop you anyway because them may mistake you for a Gumballer.

F

Quick Reply: Nurburgring