ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Trying to spot the scam ...

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 10:26 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to spot the scam ...

Wifes car currently for sale (Audi TT Roadster), went on usual sites yesterday. Get a call today from a foreign sounding chap with an International phone number. Reckons that he's flying in to Heathrow tomorrow & will buy the car there & then. He tried to haggle me down on price by £750 which I declined. He wanted to pay cash to which I replied he could join me at the local Bank & pay it in He then tried the old Bankers Draft (no thanks), then a transfer from his credit card (again no thanks). Anyone spot a scam bubbling up here ...

Cash paid in at the Bank must be secure mustn't it

TX.
Old 03 October 2007, 10:39 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tx sounds like a scam .....walk away
Old 03 October 2007, 10:44 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a big scam,so be careful and have some "support",if you meet him/them.You obviously know the score re bankers drafts and cheques of any type.The bank will readily accept them and then bounce them when they turn up as stolen-leaving you up the creek.
dont take cash at face value-as you mention,it is worthwhile meeting buyer within the bank.They can verify its authenticity and have relevant cctv just in case.Am sure if he is legit ,then he wont mind the extra precautions.But if he's not...
Old 04 October 2007, 08:30 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Do you own a barge pole?

2) He won't turn up or possibly send a proxy with some story about meeting somewhere else

3) He will turn up but without cash and will hope you are greedy and will accept another form of "payment"

4) I suppose if he offers payment by card then he could use card to get cash over counter but I doubt if bank will play ball

5) In the 1 in 1000 chance that it is genuine then don't leave bank with cash on you and make sure he signs all the stuff on V5

d