ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what to look for???

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 11:14 PM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for???

hi looking at a scooby wrx tomorrow its a K reg and has no service history. buying it off a mate and has just had an mot.

what sort of things should i look out for,as i wouldnt normally buy a car with no history.

thanks
Old 07 October 2007, 09:13 PM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

anyone?
Old 07 October 2007, 09:26 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Hi fella.....personally having had a Jap Type R previously and currently driving a WR1, I personally would not buy a scoob (classis or new age) without a service history. Whats the mileage by the way?
Old 07 October 2007, 09:27 PM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

oh right ok,whys that? things going wrong on them.

its got 88k miles its still in km still so says 120k
Old 07 October 2007, 09:44 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

It's not that things go wrong with them otherwise I would not have got a WR1having already had a Type R. The risk about not having a service history is that you don't really know what the car's gone through. A FSH gives 85% assurance that the car has been looked after (mechanically). In addition you can always carry out a HPI check to see if the car's ever been stolen or had an insurance claim on etc. A good mechanic by your side should be able to tell whether the car has had any body works done even if its not gone throught the insurance.

Also is your mate's car modified? How long has he had the car for? How come he does not have any service history i.e. did he not have any services carried out?

Also have you had any quotes on insurance? I take it you're 22?
Old 07 October 2007, 10:05 PM
mojo monkey
Scooby Regular

hi i brought an import with no service history,everything has been ok with it,the car was all standard not modified or anything so thats always a good start as modified cars do tend to have been raced around more..just take a good look around the car,pay carefull attention to the bodywork for signs of resprays and take alook at the gaps around the doors bonnet and boot.i went to buy a scoob once looking round and noticed that the gap on the boot was closer on one side compared to the other side and the rear wheel arches was different widths making one side of the car longer than the other side so i knew the car had been rear ended in a smash and a bodged job repiar..and if its raining dont go and look at it wait till its dry day..listen to the engine from cold never when its been warmed up,as warm engines can hide alot of faults..theres alot of things with these cars to look for and if u not sure dont part with your money..you said the guy is a mate so how well can you trust him..
Old 07 October 2007, 10:09 PM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

oh right ok,well i used to have a celica gt4 and that had afew thing go wrong that cost me abit,also a astra vxr but didnt have problems with that.

yeah i think i may get a HPI done on it,best way really.

Yeah its got an exhaust and a different spoiler but thats it, his not had it for long was just looking to make some money on it, but i said i would give him a good price. all his done is give it on MOT it did fail on afew things but fixed them.

And yes im only 22 but have had afew other high insurance cars and not got that bad of a quote. Well not bad being 1.5k but my points come off my insurance in may so shall drop abit more.
Old 07 October 2007, 11:00 PM
mojo monkey
Scooby Regular

to be honest with ya ,it sounds a bit dodgy to me.its already failed an mot ok hes got it sorted what it failed on,,obviously u know this guy more than i do,but he sounds like a sellar to me..has a car for two or three months then sells it and gets another one before the tax runs out..and its just what you said hes looking to make money from it..and along comes you waving cash offering a good price....dont let me put you off from looking at it..if the only mod on it is the exhaust then that aint so bad..just be carefull really cuz these aint your average cars and wouldnt want to see ya get stuck with a lemon..if your not sure about these cars go up to your local gargage and ask a mechanic bung him thirty quid or something and ask him for for an hour of his time after work to go look at it..im sure u xan get a mechanic that wont mind doing a foreigner..itll be worth it honestly..
Old 07 October 2007, 11:11 PM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

yeah im not too sure if i want it.thing is i could probably buy and make money on it as he needs money. only wants £1.8k for it,i thought that sounds pretty good.
Old 07 October 2007, 11:30 PM
mojo monkey
Scooby Regular

again its up to you..subaru's are great,its just that so many out there have been raced over the years and had this mod and that mod done to em..ok these cars were intended for racing..but i dont think you will make that much money from re selling it..a k reg with no service history u pay this guy 1800 quid for it..i dont think you will get more than two grand tops..so if ur gonna buy it then buy it to keep it..my advice is to keep ur money in your pocket and get a more newer model.i know the insurance isnt cheap on these cars,the newer you get..but best to be safe than sorry..its just up to you at the end of the day...i found that scooby's below the 2 grand mark have been well abused and raced to to ****.i wouldnt even go no earlier than 1996,and thats touching the limit.....
Old 08 October 2007, 12:15 AM
darren260685
Scooby Newbie

yeah thanks for the advise mate,i think i will let this one go. i dont really go for older cars either,just thought it was a good buy. but i will let it go. cheers