ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Holiday New York

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2007, 09:29 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holiday New York

OK i am looking to go away on my honeymoon in February 2008 and looking at going to New York .

The hotel we like is the Crowne Plaza Manhattan - Times Square .

So any ideas on good companys or wbsites ???

Best price so far 871 STERLING per person HELP me please i told my girlfriend ( future wife ) you guys were good lol

Pongo555
Old 04 October 2007, 09:38 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

try ebookers, i went to new york a couple of years ago now 276gbp for flight and 40 dollers a night at the holliday inn, i would't worry about getting a really good hotel coz you'll never be there, new york is one amazing place
Old 04 October 2007, 09:40 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

yeh amazing place, went for new year and was awsome

have a look at the grand hayatt, next to grand central station and is pretty central to most things, nice enough hotel and we has a good view.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:43 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i went mid december with all the build up to xmas was fantastic, already planning to go back but summer time
Old 04 October 2007, 09:45 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

you think 871 is reasonable for a week in feb?
Old 04 October 2007, 09:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

not really but not really looked, is your price a package deal ie flight and hotel, transfers etc?
Old 04 October 2007, 09:55 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

think your price might have been for 2 people, see if this link works, let us know

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2007, 09:57 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebookers.com/shop/home?aph.leaveSlice.dest.dl=33802&aph.leaveSlice.t ime=Anytime&type=aph&aph.child%5B0%5D=&aph.child%5 B1%5D=&aph.leaveSlice.dest.key=new+york&aph.return Slice.time=Anytime&aph.leaveSlice.orig.key=man&aph .returnSlice.date=22%2F02%2F08&aph.child%5B2%5D=&a ph.userEnteredChildCount=0&aph.numAdult=2&aph.leav eSlice.date=15%2F02%2F08&search=Continue
Old 04 October 2007, 10:01 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

don't think it will work, i've just had a quick look and found a few for around 470 per person 15/2/08 to 22/2/08, try ebookers for a start mate
Old 04 October 2007, 10:06 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys been looking online lol but will give it a couple off weeks maybe and check prices again , i know it not gonna be cheap for New York !!

Pongo555
Old 05 October 2007, 11:11 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I was there 2 weeks ago for the first time ever and the GF and I loved it

We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers a little up from Time square
Old 05 October 2007, 12:43 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I ahve been to NY a few times, a couple of times on holiday and business, I would not stay in times square, it's manic and a little bit gruby for my liking. I much prefer the area around grand central or park avenue, still within easy walking distance of times square.
Old 05 October 2007, 01:57 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

As an away side, remember to wrap up warm as it's foofing freezing in February.

I went a couple of years ago, the River Hudson was frozen over

Enjoy your trip, I love the place
Old 05 October 2007, 04:09 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

i had a week there in may,amazing place can recomend the sheraton hotel and towers easy walking to times square,broadway and central park.
you can easily get to liberty island by boat but you need to book a time pass a minimum of 48 hours before to go in to the statue which we only found out about once over there,so do it over internet before going.
Old 05 October 2007, 05:54 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I stopped nearer Central Park, as said Plush Hotels are nice but not a need IMHO but you are on Honeymoon

while your there give Grand Central train station a visit , also look up "Apple greeters on the Net, they peeps who give you a free morning Tourof city

Tony
Old 05 October 2007, 06:17 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

I went NYC acouple of years ago, was really good, got loads done, even went round the Bronx on an open top bus as a sight seeing trip, not advisable to be onthe top though as they started throwing stones at the bus, lol

But i would do this if i was you,

there is a subway train (cant remember the name of the train)under the Hudson river (or get a taxi) now the subway that come out of, if you walk through the terminal to outside,then turn back on your self,try not to look up but down to the floor, at the point of getting up close to the edge of the river on the New Jersey side,look up, look up at NYC, i promise you that you will never see anything like it ever again,obviousley this has to be at night but its the best site ever, i have pictures but it doesnt come close to seeing it in real life.
Be warned the last subway train back is midnite after that you need to get a cab or walk,not advised though.
Old 05 October 2007, 07:11 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Seeing the city from the top of the Empire State Building is a must.

Top of the Rock at night is fantastic too but the wind chill at the top of any of these buildings in February is something else so take some high performance clothing gloves scarf etc!
Old 05 October 2007, 11:52 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

The Waldorf Astoria was nice. Mind you it was this August and the weather was hot. As it was for 4 of us we booked a suite which cost £250 a night - not bad when you break it down to price per person.

It was pretty plush.

Breakfast was top notch.
Not that you'll see the outside of you room if it's your honeymoon.
Old 06 October 2007, 01:41 AM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

For nice / handy hotels try http://www.octopustravel.com/IntlHome.jsp also make sure you visit Ellis island for the immigration musuem along with liberty island.

Personaly i did'nt like NY dirty, crowded and impersonal maybe its me?
Old 06 October 2007, 09:21 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Wife stays at the Crown Plaza Times Square when she travels to NY for business. Apparently the hotel is a bit expensive for the standard (4*)... for the same price range there is better quality (5*) a little out from the tourist throng of the Square. After 2 stays there (for a total of 10 days) I think next time she'll try somewhere else.

Have a great trip!

Wall

Last edited by wall; 06 October 2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06 October 2007, 10:53 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Park Avensue for me near the central station every time, there is a fantastic breakfast place under the viasduct, you can feel the cars and buses driving over head, not cheap but great organic food.
Old 06 October 2007, 11:55 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

From Tome Square walk over to 9th Av. Its where the new yorkers eat
Old 06 October 2007, 12:27 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

went last nov and stayed at the double tree hotal right in the middle of times square,was a really nice place,5star,have a look,
Old 06 October 2007, 12:46 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

try expedia.co.uk or alpharooms.com (through alpha you will have to book your own flights - try moneysupermarket.com for best flight prices)

NY is a wicked place - we went at christmas time and there was loads going on. Must sees are the Empire State (expect long queues most of the time), Ground Zero (near battery park where you can also catch the free ferry), Statue of Liberty (while on the free ferry), Central Park is massive and throughout December they have the ice rink there. Wicked place mate - happy honey mooning!
Old 07 October 2007, 09:51 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

I've used Kelkoo Shopping UK - Online Shopping & Price Comparison in the past, its not very easy, but I've got some GREAT deals!

Simon
Old 07 October 2007, 10:35 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Spend some time in Greenwich Village, around Bleecker street, some really cool placed to eat and shop, plus some really old proper pubs... My favourite place in NY, away from the Tourist area.
Old 07 October 2007, 01:51 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

An option is to book the hotel and flight seperately - worked out cheaper for us last time we went there.

Depends on your budget and whether you want elegance with it being your honeymoon.

We booked our hotel with totalstay.com but hotels.com are good for some places.

We flew with Air India (pretty good,especially if you like Indian food),was half the price of Virgin and BA.

Depends if your happy to have a standard flight and use the extra money to get yourself a decent hotel (there are some **** ones as well so watch out).

As has been mentioned,Grand Central area is nice as is the upper west side.

There is lots to consider though,price,location etc.

Last edited by renny; 07 October 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07 October 2007, 09:58 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

THE HOG PIT - hogpit.com
Old 07 October 2007, 10:09 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

There is only one hotel to stay at - the Waldorf but try and book the astoria level rooms you get breakfast and afternoon tea thrown in. If you can't afford to stay there then at least have a look round especially the entrance lobby and the starlight room at night.

Not sure the cost per room in Feb but was just about bearable in July Aug. The trick is to visit the hotel web site direct and look for best advanced rates. Book flight separate and book as early as you can to get best rates I got stung for an extra £100 each by BA for delaying by a few days over a bank holiday.

Originally Posted by Pongo555
OK i am looking to go away on my honeymoon in February 2008 and looking at going to New York .

The hotel we like is the Crowne Plaza Manhattan - Times Square .

So any ideas on good companys or wbsites ???

Best price so far 871 STERLING per person HELP me please i told my girlfriend ( future wife ) you guys were good lol

Pongo555
Old 09 October 2007, 05:34 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Default My take on N.Y.

Well worth getting one of the 'Gray Line' open top bus tour tickets - cost me $50 for 48 hours, and it's hop-on, hop-off. The guides are really good. I preferred the East Village to Times Square (too much like Picadilly Circus for my liking) - great hotel called Hotel 17 I stayed at, basic but cheap and very well located. Don't bust a gut to get up the Empire State (I queued for 45 minutes, costs about $20)- instead I'd advise the Rockerfeller Centre, almost as tall but a much better visitor experience - far nicer viewing galleries up the top and a lot quieter. Grand Central station is very impressive. Guggenheim museum is undergoing a load of renovation at the moment and looks a tad shabby- a short way away is the Met gallery, which is far better. They 'suggest' you pay $20, but don't feel guilty at chipping in far less - it's got some pretty wealthy donors. U.N headquarters tour is good. To really impress the other half, there's a bar on a street in the East Village called St Mark's Street - bar's called 'Please Don't Tell'. From the outside it looks like a hot dog restaurant. You go in and there's a phone booth - lift up the receiver and await instructions, then you go down a spiral staircase through a secret door, to a very chilled out underground bar! There's no sign of the place from the street - very cool indeed!

Take the Staten Island ferry, which is free - goes all the way around Liberty (the statue itself is still closed to the public). When in that bit of lower manhatten look around the WTC site and the memorial at The Battery park. South Street Seaport museum is very good, where the old clipper ships used to come in- it's all restored and tourist-ifyed, but in a good way. Central Park needs no introduction, really incredible. Needless to say no shortage of stuff to do though - you won't be bored.

Dan.

Quick Reply: Holiday New York