ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Drives me NUTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2007, 07:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Drives me NUTS!!!

Petrol Station ..... WHY do people sit there waiting to 'see' which 'lane' they should join?????????

Just pick a lane and get in it!!! There are 20 cars behind waiting in single file!!!

I always drive alongside the queue and join a lane .... it gets the queue jumping mad - BUT WHY???

Does my head in, really it does - luckily I am a huge bloke and no-one takes it any further ....... but, come on, pick a lane AND JOIN IT!!!!

Rant over - thanks for listening
Old 14 October 2007, 07:04 PM
billybenton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice one Pete we brits love to queue
Old 14 October 2007, 07:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm a Brit too ........ and queue when it is polite to - but this Petrol Queue thing drives me BONKERS!!!!! No need for it ... the single file queue often stretches right back into the supermarket car park!!

I've had all kinds of people shouting at me - had an old fella try to whack me with his walking stick!! He actually jumped out of his car in the queue and ran up to my window banging on it telling me off I just told him to go away and he did.

Cannot see what the issue is - if everyone wants to wait in line for their preferred pump, fair enough ..... but I am happy to visit ANY pump on ANY side in ANY lane - so, I'm coming through!!

Had a couple of blokes fancy their chances last night until I climbed out the car .... WHY DO PEOPLE DO IT??
Old 14 October 2007, 07:20 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Why go to a petrol station with queues when theres hundreds more around. Just drive on to the next one.
Old 14 October 2007, 07:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

There is a queue because Super 99 RON is 102p I guess??

And why should a queue of cars stop me getting at my chosen petrol?

Just wondering why people do it? Is it to get a pump next to their filler cap?
Old 14 October 2007, 07:23 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I'm a Brit too ........ and queue when it is polite to - but this Petrol Queue thing drives me BONKERS!!!!! No need for it ... the single file queue often stretches right back into the supermarket car park!!

I've had all kinds of people shouting at me - had an old fella try to whack me with his walking stick!! He actually jumped out of his car in the queue and ran up to my window banging on it telling me off I just told him to go away and he did.

Cannot see what the issue is - if everyone wants to wait in line for their preferred pump, fair enough ..... but I am happy to visit ANY pump on ANY side in ANY lane - so, I'm coming through!!

Had a couple of blokes fancy their chances last night until I climbed out the car .... WHY DO PEOPLE DO IT??
have to agree whole heartedly with pete on that one annoys the hell out of me too
Old 14 October 2007, 07:24 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Petrol Station ..... WHY do people sit there waiting to 'see' which 'lane' they should join?????????

Just pick a lane and get in it!!! There are 20 cars behind waiting in single file!!!

I always drive alongside the queue and join a lane .... it gets the queue jumping mad - BUT WHY???

Does my head in, really it does - luckily I am a huge bloke and no-one takes it any further ....... but, come on, pick a lane AND JOIN IT!!!!

Rant over - thanks for listening
I 100% agree with you people dont seem to want to make the effort to pull the hose around the car,just plain lazy in my opinion
Old 14 October 2007, 07:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They get all upset though if you drive past them!!

Last night I said, "Did anyone want this lane I have chosen to join?" .....

"No" ... of course 'no' or they would be IN IT!!

"There's no need to worry yourselves then, is there?" I said

"But you shouldn't jump the queue" They said ........ "I'm not waiting in a line because the person at the front doesn't have the intelligence to just select a lane AND JOIN IT!!"

Lots of grumpy looks and mumblings ....... I filled up and was gone while the single lane queue STILL remained ....................... COMPLETE UTTER MADNESS!!

I'm off on one now - "Nursie, my drugs, please - now!!"

Old 14 October 2007, 07:29 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx287
I 100% agree with you people dont seem to want to make the effort to pull the hose around the car,just plain lazy in my opinion
I don't like the dirty pipe scratching against my paint work, thank you, so I always make sure I end up with the filler cap against the pump.
Old 14 October 2007, 07:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I don't like the dirty pipe scratching against my paint work, thank you, so I always make sure I end up with the filler cap against the pump.
And if a car behind you takes the pump you don't want - are you ok with that - or do you get upset??

And why not, instead of queueing 50 yards away for your 'perfect' pump, join the lane straight away that contains your selected pump?

Last edited by pslewis; 14 October 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 14 October 2007, 07:49 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I always pull into empty ones no matter what side it is, i think some people dont actually know that it will stretch round, anyway there is no need for it to touch the paintwork if you hold it right, each to there own though.

Mac
Old 14 October 2007, 07:56 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

This actually happens a fair bit around the stations where I live. There will be at least 2 lanes free, okay given they are the opposite side but still.

I get strange looks of amazement from people when I'll pull up, jump the queue and drive into an opposite lane. My fuel cap maybe on the otherside but doesn't stop me, just grab the hose, pull it across the boot and hey presto your filling up.

Numpties... doesn't help when you also have staff who will not turn on the pump even though you have been sitting there waiting for some fuel to go into your car
Old 14 October 2007, 07:56 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

And if a car behind you takes the pump you don't want - are you ok with that - or do you get upset??

And why not, instead of queueing 50 yards away for your 'perfect' pump, join the lane straight away that contains your selected pump?

If there's a queue already, I'd definitely join it. I'm not rude enough to push in front just because other people are numpties (but yes, it does annoy me - especially when I'm not filling up but just wanting to go past the petrol station and end up driving on the wrong side of the road because the unneccessary queue stretches out into the road).

If all the pumps are taken, but nobody is queuing, I'll join a queue if there's another car entering the petrol station. The reason I'll wait 'not behind a specific pump' if I'm the only person waiting is that there's about a 50% chance that the person I've parked behind is doing their weekly shop - now this *does* get on my ****!

Oh, and I don't wait 50 yards from the pumps, because then I wouldn't even be in the fore court
Old 14 October 2007, 08:00 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
This actually happens a fair bit around the stations where I live. There will be at least 2 lanes free, okay given they are the opposite side but still.

I get strange looks of amazement from people when I'll pull up, jump the queue and drive into an opposite lane. My fuel cap maybe on the otherside but doesn't stop me, just grab the hose, pull it across the boot and hey presto your filling up.

Numpties... doesn't help when you also have staff who will not turn on the pump even though you have been sitting there waiting for some fuel to go into your car
I absolutely have no problem with people taking a wrong sided pump if it's free and there's still a queue... If you're prepared to pull it across then it would be daft not to use it and I definitely wouldn't be giving anyone evils for doing it

The staff not turning on the pump does **** me off though... Quite often I end up having a 30 second stare at them, whilst they peer out the window at me... Must be the way I look
Old 14 October 2007, 09:35 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

me i pull up on any pump as above and i always wonder why no one uses the other side, i tend to look at them in amazement. now my local tesco has a guy directing u to the pumps, this makes sure all the pumps are utillised.
Old 14 October 2007, 10:34 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

the shell station near me is sainsbury store also and nothing gets up my goat more than some lump coming out with 4or5 bags of shopping and care fully packing them in there boot **** of to the proper shop or park in one of the shopping bays not at the bloody pumps
Old 14 October 2007, 10:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I always drive past everyone and reverse in the space that everyone was too stupid to move into
Old 14 October 2007, 11:04 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

happens all the time then you get a big queue because all the other sheep follow and wait inline with a vacant expression on there faces.
i just go wherever is free no point having a queue a mile long when theres other pumps not being used.
tax dodging students not turning the pump on gets me and the pump that keeps clicking and takes you 10mins too put £20 in.
Old 14 October 2007, 11:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Staff not turning the pump on also USED to get to me - until, one day, I realised that if you squeeze the trigger tight a buzzer goes off at the cashiers desk.

I simply squeeze and squeeze in quick succession until it drives them so bonkers they switch my pump on Works EVERY SINGLE time ... try it!!
Old 15 October 2007, 06:47 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I always drive past everyone and reverse in the space that everyone was too stupid to move into
Same here. Never had a problem.
I usually go to the pump on the "wrong" side so as to avoid standing in a pool of diesel while I fill my car.
Old 15 October 2007, 07:11 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

im half and half on this one. local shell petrol station is quite small, only 5/6 pumps. and only 3/4 do v-power. i also found out that no matter how well you park your car, the pump does not stretch over to the oppostie side for some reason. only at this shell station, tescos etc all good, but i use v-power. so generally i wait, but not like a sheep. if i see a bay on my correct side for fueling, and nobody showing impetous to use it, i barge my way in no problems...
Old 15 October 2007, 09:21 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

There are a couple of petrol stations round here that are SHOCKING for queues. I said to the other half only the other night, I cant believe people queue like this, with so many other stations near by that they could use.
Queuing out onto the road, blocking lanes etc, its annoying.

As for people that wont use the other side of the pump.... I like them. I fill up quicker lol.

One thing that does get my goat is jet washes.
Why do people go to jet washes, pull into the bay, then start washing it by hand, or insisting they dry it fully before pulling out.
Personally im in and out.
Old 15 October 2007, 02:11 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Why go to a petrol station with queues when theres hundreds more around. Just drive on to the next one.
i can see one major problem with that
Old 15 October 2007, 02:48 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Drive further forwards then. Get your car past the pump and the hose won't touch your car as you fill her up. Easy.
Old 15 October 2007, 03:07 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Was in the petrol station a few weeks back, pulled up behind a woman who just got out of her car, she disappeared into the shop without taking petrol??? sat there for a good few mins (all other pumps in use) while waiting for the woman to come back to her car..... few more mins past and I started to think what the hell’s this person doing, shortly afterwards the bloody woman comes out the shop with a bag of shopping and drove off!!! FFS didn't even get petrol, so why park at the pump?!?!?!

Some people have no common sense!
Old 15 October 2007, 03:24 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Right, so the problem is not the long single file queue, just that people do not use all available pumps.

I always start a single file queue, I am next to be served and will use the first pump available, regardless of side.
If I join a pump lane, guarenteed I would be sitting behind the numpty that takes 20mins in the shop and then sits in the car for 10 mins adjusting the seat belt.

I am more than happy for other people to join queue at a particular pump. however i WILL be using the next available pump.
Old 15 October 2007, 03:37 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy

Well i have one Shell Station and its 12 miles from my house the next shell garage is about 20 miles from there so some peopel dont have a option
Old 15 October 2007, 04:19 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

There are two stations near me, a Texeco and a Tesco

Tesco is about 99p per ltr for 99ron
Texeco is 104p per ltr for 97 ron

I personaly will que for the tesco station. Everyone seems to join pump lines, nobody gets upset, I usual fill up with the pump on the correct side of the car, it doesn't bother me if the guy behind me goes the other side.

End of the day if im in a rush I will just take one of my motors that has enough fuel in it to get me where im going. Im lazy like that!
Old 15 October 2007, 05:14 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

this drives me nuts too, 8 pumps and only 4 (the same side) are used and im being made to queue in the road. Not usually bothered though as I never queue, will always drive past them and reverse in to position. Always get eyes grilling into me but ive filled up and gone while theyre still queuing...
Old 20 October 2007, 08:14 AM
cos500
Scooby Regular

I just drive to the nearest empty pump, if the people in front cant make up their mind quick enough then tough, i will drive round the lot of them if they are all in a queue for one pump, nobody has ever said anything to me.
One place i do have a problem is our local sainsburys where i fill up the scoob with super, the super pumps are the rear pumps of the 3 so every time i pull up someone has a go. Have mentioned it to the garage asking why the super pumps cant be the front 3 but they dont seem to care.