Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what demo cars do dealers have in stock ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2007, 10:59 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what demo cars do dealers have in stock ?

i have a bit of an obsession, with imprezas at least. Ive wanted one since i first set eyes on one in the original gran turismo. their reputation in rally, and the experience of my uncle owning one when i was about 14, made a permanent mark on me

ive had a savings account for a while with "my impreza fund" on it. and its steadily growing

but ive never actually driven one ! so im guessing i really should get a test drive. Im 25, working fulltime in IT so im not some kid so reckon i shouldnt have problems with getting a test drive

question is though, if i ring up for a test drive of an STI, am i going to get told they dont have one for me to drive ? or is it going to be WRX only .. ?
Old 16 October 2007, 11:19 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Rob I just purchased a brand new one having never even sat in one!

Ordered it over the phone and picked it up last week (if you look on here you wil have seen loads of posts on here from me recently!)

I did try to buy one about 6 years ago but they wouldnt let me test drive (I was 20) so I told them to stick it! They said I could drive a WRX but not an STI but they didnt have any WRX's in stock!

Just buy one, there great even if its just to annoy all the tree huggers!
Old 17 October 2007, 07:08 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

If I was you I wouldn't go to a main Scooby dealer for a test drive if you think your gonna have problems getting one, I'd go to another privately owned garage that have a couple of Scooby's for sale such as WRX and STi so you should easily get a test drive with a garage like that, they wouldn't turn you away! Even if its just to take the car out for a burn up to see what its really like.
Old 17 October 2007, 10:58 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

do dealers usually have WRX / STI demonstrators then ?

or would it be one of their 2nd hand stock you'd drive ?
Old 18 October 2007, 11:10 AM
mrsteve
Scooby Regular

I am currently trying to buy my first scoob,

all the dealers i have gone to have had a WRX in stock and no questions asked re test drive.

I took an STI for a test (as thats what i want) and had to travel 30 miles to do it and the guy wanted my keys to my current car (audi a3) which is worth about the same as the sti i want. 20kish

Im 24

having big issues with insurance , fell in love at the GT1/WRC stage as well

I would certainly suggest test driving one as they may not be for everyone, a lot of power in the sti but take the wrx out first
Old 18 October 2007, 11:17 AM
caleb
Scooby Newbie

I asked for an STi brochure through the Subaru website last year, couple of weeks later got a phone call asking if I wanted a test drive, then got asked my age (24) and got told no on the grounds of my age. A month later was getting some parts from my local Subaru dealer for my sport and got chatting to the sales manager, talking about STi's. 10 mins later, I'm out in a spanking new Type UK on my own, all I had to do was give my licence details and "keep the speed down"!

Seriously Rob, if you like driving then you definately won't be dissapointed.
Old 18 October 2007, 12:06 PM
Panthro
Scooby Regular

I took an STI for a testdrive at Bulldog Subaru - Twyford when I was 24.

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2007, 12:42 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Many moons ago I went for an appointment at a well known British sports car manu'f to look at buying a car. They refused to let me have a test drive on grounds of age but thankfully I had driven one before. Even with a 50% deposit they would not let me take it out LOL. Still even though they looked down their nose at me a bit I still bought one. Had 4 cars off them now in 7 years...

BUT if I had not driven one elsewhere then I doubt I would have bought one so I would get a TD really, esp if its your every day car!
Old 18 October 2007, 01:05 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

best to book it in advance

or just turn up your reckon ?
Old 18 October 2007, 02:06 PM
rav123
Scooby Regular

bought my STI (05) from main dealer last june, test drove 3 sti's at 3 different dealers, no questions asked, no papers to be signed etc (i was 23 at the time). best to ring em a couple of days in advance and sound like you'r extremely interested.
Old 18 October 2007, 02:30 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Best to make some general enquiries about the range, prices etc, and show that you are genuinely looking to buy at your local main dealer.

I'm sure that they must get a number of "test pilots" walking in wanting a go, but a good salesman should be able to tell if you are serious.

I went to one local dealer looking to test drive a new MY98 classic (back in 1998 obviously), and he basically showed no interest and said I'd have to book a test drive and he'd be in touch. So I tried another local dealer, 15 mins of chat and he threw me the keys to the demonstrator, and said give it a try. Out on my own, back 20 mins later and immediately put a £1000 deposit on the car.

That was nearly 10 years ago. Now I've bought 5 scoobs from said dealer and averaging 3 services a year.

Shame the other dealer didn't realise I was serious.

Go and ask .... simple

Gareth