Thumbs up

Aint it nice having Stuart aboard?

Cem

p.s. Good luck Wino
Old 15 December 2000, 12:52 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had this happen to me when I was a teenager while using Mum's car. Just as I'm walking back to the car I see some women slide her bumper right down the side of the car....and drive off!

Went to the Police with the rego, they sent a bobby round and the woman 'fessed up. Paid a couple a hundred quid without even seeing the damage.

The damage mostly t-cut'ed out as well...but Mum kept the dosh!

Richard
Old 15 December 2000, 12:54 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Further to my previous post, I think most policies have an "uninsured loss recovery" option. i.e. you pay an extra few quid and you have a good chance of having your car repaired without losing your no-claims.

Jerome.
Old 15 December 2000, 08:24 AM
Wino Wilky
Scooby Regular

Angry

Was wondering if anyone has been in a similar circumstance or has some advice for me.

I was at a roundabout yesterday and the car behind me decided to drive into my rear bumper, causing minor damage thankfully, but damage nonetheless. To add injury to insult the little b*stard didn't even stop, but I think I got his registration number.

However, no one else stopped as well so I have no witnesses. I was thinking about reporting the incidence to the police. But without anyone to verify what I am saying is the truth, it hardly seems worth it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 15 December 2000, 08:26 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just the fact that he hit you and then drove off, makes me say - go to the police.

Even if lack of witnesses means that it will not go anywhere, it willteach him a lesson and hopefully stop him from doingit again.
Old 15 December 2000, 08:32 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

So the little blighter must have reversed and pulled around you to get away?

Tsk Tsk!

I'd report it to the police and 'find' a witness.

F
P.S. can I say that?
Old 15 December 2000, 08:38 AM
TonyC-Evo Lurker
Scooby Regular

If there was minor damage to yours then they may be matching damage on their car - which could be classed as 'evidence'.
But leaving the scene of an accident , however minor is an offence I believe.

If they drove off though, its more than likly that they are not insured and decided to scarper

TonyC

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2000, 08:42 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

My wife witnessed someone reversing into my previous scoob then saw her drive off. She took a note of the registration and then contacted the police. The police then contacted the owner at their home address and told them to phone us or they'd be in trouble.

The driver of the car phoned us later saying that she hadn't even realised that she had hit my car. Anyway, they agreed to pay for the damage and ultimately did.

So yes it is worth speaking to the police. Unfortunately if he's not insured you'll probably get nothing but worth a go.

D.
Old 15 December 2000, 08:58 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Even if the other guy isn't insured, you can often still get some money back. All insurance companies contribute to a fund which goes towards paying out people who are the victims of uninsured drivers. Phone your insurance company and find out where you stand in the event the other guy isn't insured.

If he is driving without insurance and has left the scene of an accident without stopping, I'm sure the Police will be very interested to hear from you.

Jerome.
Old 15 December 2000, 09:14 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wino Wilky (cool name )

Sorry to hear about this mate.

Calling Stuart H!

I'm sure you've commented on this before, but would you repeat the Police's view on 'hit and run' incidents?

Rich
Old 15 December 2000, 09:23 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

After Bajie's hit and run incident, I remember Stuart saying that the police took a very dim view on people who leave after an accident.
Old 15 December 2000, 09:41 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wino,

Go to your local police station (with the car as they'll need to look at the damage) and report it as a fail to stop.

It is against the law and the police service in general take a very, <B>very</B> dim view of it and will be more than happy to investigate the incident.

Let us know how you get on

Edited cos I'm still half asleep

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 15 December 2000).]
Old 15 December 2000, 11:39 AM
Wino Wilky
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

Will speak to the local bobbies. Watch this space for further updates.
Old 15 December 2000, 11:57 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

This also happened to me,

I dialled 999 immediately (had my mobile) and the police arrived very quickly and in force (About 4/5 Cars in total). I had followed him but he'd pulled over (flat tyre) and continued on foot.

I didn't want to stop him (I am 6 foot, 15 stone, 25 years old and had two mates with me, he was 35 and had a 7 year old kid - I thought this may have provided him with the perfect excuse for legging it)

I am so pleased that the police found him, his car wasn't registered so there was no other way of tracing him. Oh yeah, turns out he was over the limit. Damage to my car was £1500.

I would suggest to everyone here,

1) Carry a mobile in the car at all times
2) Carry a small disposable camera in the car at all times
3) Never drive anywhere on your own, as you'll be stuffed with no witnesses
4) Dial 999 immediately if someone fails to stop after an accident.

Ps You can't get any money from the MIB for repairs to your car, you can only claim for injuries.
Old 15 December 2000, 01:06 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Like Gary I always have a disposable camera in the glovebox - the type with an attached flash. Haven't used it yet - but definitely worth having one.
Old 15 December 2000, 05:35 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

erm, just one thing, i though passengers in your own vehicle do not count as witnesses for insurance purposes?
Old 15 December 2000, 05:51 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Make sure you report the accident ASAP.

A friends mother had someone drive into the back of her car a few years ago. The other driver didn't stop but as there was no damage my friends mother didn't bother to report it. It turned out that the woman in the other car went straight to the police and my mates mother was the one in trouble.
Old 15 December 2000, 06:22 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

I was tootling along in traffic when a young girl of about 15 literally ran out in front of me.

At the time she was crossing a pedestrian crossing but the lights were in my favour.

I was only doing about 10mph but I broke and swerved away from her. Her arm caught my wing mirror. I looked in my mirror but she just kept on walking.

Due to the road layout is was impssible for me to stop but I swung the car round and parked near to the spot and went looking for her.

The crossing led into a dimly lit park and I was concerned that she might be injured and then perhaps need help.

Anyway, she never hung about, so I figured she must have been OK and went home.

When I got home, I phoned the local police station and explained what had happened and they said that in my own interests it would be better for me to report it offically ata police station. This was on the basis that suppose the girl goes home, wakes up the next morning with a bruise, mother goes wild, somehow discovers it was me and then reports me for failing to report an accident.

I decided that was a situation I did not want to find myself in, so did as I was advised.

It took about 10 minutes at the station and it certainly was a weight off my mind.

Also, I know of someone who received 9 penalty points (failing to stop!) for a very minor ding while parking, spotted by an old dear in the nursing home opposite!

Moral? ALWAYS report to the police as you never know what might happen if you don't!

C
Old 16 December 2000, 01:21 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Wino Wilky

I say go to the please and give them his registration number. He may admit it when confronted by the police.
Old 16 December 2000, 01:44 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Ive been involved in a hit and run, the police took 3 weeks to trace the scrot bag and by then he had repaired his damage and denied all knowledge ( if he has left any paint on your bumper make sure the police take it for evidence, they can match it to his car and then do him for hit and run, 6 - 10 points if i remember correctly, get gits like that off the road!!!
hope it goes well for you, report the little s**t
Old 18 December 2000, 11:52 AM
Wino Wilky
Scooby Regular

Once again, thanks for all the advice everyone

Unfortunately no paint on the rear of my Scoob bumber, just a nasty scratch and dent *sob*.

Will be purchasing a disposable camera very soon as well.

Went to the cop shop on Friday night and reported the incident. Have to produce all my documents, which should be fun, as I can't find my damn MOT certificate. The police will soon know me by first name basis as I had my registration plate nicked about three weeks ago.

Somebody said to me last week green cars are notoriously unlucky...

Better not be.