Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

no fuel day monday 19th november.

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2007, 06:36 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no fuel day monday 19th november.

ive just been invited to this group on facebook.

if you are a member of facebook go and check it out, and join if you intend to follow through and not buy fuel.

52k members at the minute.

doubt it will work, but heh ho.

Facebook | Login
Old 08 November 2007, 07:09 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do peaple do fill up the day before
Old 08 November 2007, 07:12 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Everyday is no fuel day for me the way my car is going through juice at the moment.
Old 08 November 2007, 07:15 PM
ukbob
Scooby Regular

i am in.fuel@ 1.08 for diesel,robbin turds
Old 08 November 2007, 07:21 PM
Untitled
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Everyday is no fuel day for me the way my car is going through juice at the moment.
I see from your tag line there is another Scooby owning Ronnie Coleman fan,

yeah budday!!!!!!!!!!! whoooooooooooooo
Old 09 November 2007, 08:18 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

What is the point of a no fuel day ? people will either fill up the day before or the day after if they need it.

People still use the same amount of petrol in a month regardless of what day they buy it on, and the garages wont be bothered as they will be looking at their sales on a weekly or monthly basis.
Old 09 November 2007, 08:47 AM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Slightly related:

Bottleneck britain - dispatches C4 Monday evening,

Saw a trailer for this today, its about the nightmare that driving in britain has become, speed cameras, congestion charge, fuel costs, constant congestion....

Should be an interesting program.
Old 09 November 2007, 08:50 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
What is the point of a no fuel day ? people will either fill up the day before or the day after if they need it.

People still use the same amount of petrol in a month regardless of what day they buy it on, and the garages wont be bothered as they will be looking at their sales on a weekly or monthly basis.
i agree with this post - its not going to great affect any of them in a financial sense because we'll just get our fuel on another day.

But it does make a statement that we're against the fuel rises, rather than just sitting quietly and giving the impression that we don't mind......
Old 09 November 2007, 08:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Fuel Day?

No point ............. better to get into London and protest with placards.

But, thats too much bother for most people ......

All you will get from people is something which will not inconvenience them, a Pipeline Card, a day where they buy no fuel (but did the day before), signing an online petition, moan on here ........... it is simply the case that we all will pay whatever it takes to drive our cars.
Old 13 November 2007, 02:01 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I agree with MikeCardiff & pslewis.... Truth is there is very little the public, even if formed into pressure groups, can do. Successive governments have us, & will continue to have us, "over the barrel" ('scuse the pun) on fuel prices, more particularly the huge tax on it.... The Government make way too much revenue on fuel to be swayed by any campaign & know that month on month fuel usage & dependency will not go down.

I regret to say, I think anyone who believes fuel prices will reduce, aside from crude oil price fluctuations, are sadly deluded.... The truth isnt always nice, & welcome to the real world.....
Old 13 November 2007, 02:18 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

The govt don't need to have a protest to know we hate the price of fuel.. its a known fact. A no fuel day will change nothing!
Old 13 November 2007, 06:55 PM
onslow
Scooby Regular

no fuel day-- a complete waste of time
what you dont buy one day you'll buy another
Old 13 November 2007, 07:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

no fuel day pointless, 52,000 people taking part is insignificant against all the vehicles and litres of fuel purchased in one day {not checked the stats but trying to apply logic}
All it means is that more fuel will be purchased on other day making the yearly average the same.
I suppose the next move would be to use publuic transport and boycott the roads and driving, oh hold on a minute I thought that was the general idea from the government.....

You'll never win, not while you live here. Suck it up and take it like a man.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:55 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Watch out for the Lorries at the terminals in a few days.

Can't say too much

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 13 November 2007, 09:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I quite like the idea of boycotting a particular fuel company for a while. That will hurt them, and cause some political strife. The more pain they feel, the more they will use their well paid PR and lobbyists to come on our side
Old 14 November 2007, 11:54 AM
scoobydavid
Scooby Regular

everyone convert to lpg i say
Old 14 November 2007, 12:04 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

Can't say too much

Regards

Alan MaC
Oh do tell, please, please, please.

that would be fantastic
Old 14 November 2007, 12:17 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Well if no one is at the pumps on the 19th at least i wont have to wait in a quewe for fuel

Last edited by D6ale; 14 November 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: .
Old 14 November 2007, 12:30 PM
fatcorsa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I quite like the idea of boycotting a particular fuel company for a while. That will hurt them, and cause some political strife. The more pain they feel, the more they will use their well paid PR and lobbyists to come on our side
another group on the old facebook...
Name: Boycott Esso and BP - Please read and join if you agree
Type: Common Interest - Travel
Description: I got this email forwarded on to me, so istead of emailing everyone directly, thought it was easier to start a group. Please pass it on, this actually could work!

We are hitting 97p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1 a litre. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of >an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
Not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
Purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send I t to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... And those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... And so on, by the time the
Message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have
Been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
All 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE
RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. I.e. Boycott BP and Esso

... i don't think it would ever drop to that sort of price again but worth a try!!

Last edited by fatcorsa; 14 November 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 14 November 2007, 12:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff

But the petrol companies have to pay their overheads for staff, electricity etc. for the day when no-one comes in to buy anything. Of more concern to them would be the fact that people weren't buying papers, sweets, drinks, maps etc. If they were all bought elsewhere, that would hit the bottom line.
Old 14 November 2007, 01:00 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The concept of no fuel day or boycott esso etc are all totally pointless Spam type online time wasting futile folleys
Blocking the depots only serves to inconvenience the innocent for no long term gain as was proven last time.
But by all means have a go at whatever makes you feel better
Old 14 November 2007, 01:32 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

I am going to work on the push iron 3 days a week to save petrol doing 22 miles a day, I only put in 10 quid a week in now from asda (unless I use it at weekend when Iam not working)But the good points are no more sitting in traffic- Bad points are My *** is sore as hell (No Funny remarks please), We do need to sort out the prices and If we stand together and fight then who know's it might just work.
Old 14 November 2007, 01:44 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If you want to "protest" then do the following.

ALL use public transport.

Fuel companies/govt lose cash from those not driving.

Public transport will NOT cope and be chaos.

Chaos forces things to happen.

For protests to work, you need to make a scarifice. Thing is, people don't care THAT much as they won't make sacrifices.

The fact of the matter is, most people CAN afford the fuel. this is clear as people are driving cars more than they ever had. People just make cutbacks elsewhere.
Old 14 November 2007, 02:19 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

For protests to work, you need to make a scarifice. Thing is, people don't care THAT much as they won't make sacrifices.

The fact of the matter is, most people CAN afford the fuel. this is clear as people are driving cars more than they ever had. People just make cutbacks elsewhere.

agreed

i work on the railways and they are at full stretch now,so if loads more people jumped on the train it would be chaos causing delays and in turn millions of pounds in fines for late running.
Old 14 November 2007, 03:51 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

No he hasn't, the idea's idiotic.

If you deduct the VAT, and duty from the 97p, you end up with circa 32p to find, and get it to the pumps !

Duty is charged per liter @ about 50p.

So even if the oil, & distribution companies GAVE us the oil for NOTHING, it would still cost 50p + vat............ 59p

Common sense would tell anyone it's not going to see 69p, or anywhere near it.

Mark.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:15 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan MaC

Can't say too much

Regards

Alan MaC
this has been in the news recently
Old 14 November 2007, 04:28 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

It wont with that attitude maybe if people moaned more about it something might just happen or do we just act even more british and Get in a que, bend over and take up the A***, Not everyone can afford petrol we are not all on 25G's and above.
Old 14 November 2007, 04:35 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

or maybe have a responsibility to their employers and have to get to work for a reasonable hour. If they are aware that using public transport with cause chaos and delay them getting to work should they go ahead with that or try and get to work via transport which will allow them to get there at an hour they are employed to start?
Old 14 November 2007, 04:48 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not suggesting people do nothing, but it's the GOVERNMENT who should be targeted, as they are the ones controlling the pricing.

The oil companies have relatively very little effect on the cost we pay at the pumps.

Petrol prices need to become a political voting issue, then we'd see some changes !

Mark.
Old 14 November 2007, 05:21 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will we tell?

M

Quick Reply: no fuel day monday 19th november.