Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

am i using the right one mateys?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2007, 04:30 AM
GAG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i using the right one mateys?

morning all,
i run my 98 sti import on v power is this ok at 99 ron or should i be adding an octaine booster to bring it up to 100 ron?

can anyone tell me please how much the fuel tank holds on an import sti, or are they all the same ? thanks mateys
Old 12 November 2007, 11:50 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to stick booster in mine just be safe.
Aim to get the RON as close to 100 as possible.

The MUST as far as I am concerned is to get the car mapped for UK fuel.
You then have a safety margin built in. Say get it mapped with a tank with of 97 in. And then run it on 99.
Not only will the car probably become more responsive but you will have built the safety margin in. Higher RON fuel in its self doesn´t give more power.

As far a fuel tank goes - dunno about the size. But there was a design fault with the baffle - which can cause the fuel to be momentarily cut if you are pushing it round a bend with a near empty tank. You shouldnt run with a near empty tank anyway - but if you do take it a bit easier around the twisties.
Old 12 November 2007, 03:15 PM
GAG
Scooby Regular

ok cheers mate im not if my car has been mapped for uk fuel cos it was imported few months after it was new im the third owner and before me the car was untouched ? comp. standard? and its now done 90,000 MILES +i ran a 13.3 1/4mile at the last jap fest at pod so im guessing it must be ok on the v power even if it hasnt been mapped???????
Old 12 November 2007, 04:26 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Id fit a KnockLink / DetAlarm to be sure; the detonation that holes a piston (number 3 usually) or destroys the big-end bearings cant be heard. The MY98 ECUs arent fantastic and they cant (or certainly couldnt then) be re-mapped. If I was using 99RON fuel in a MY98 WRX then I dont think that Id be unduly worried, but an STI is a different proposition.

Simon
Old 12 November 2007, 04:26 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

I never got mine re-mapped but ran 1.3bar for 2 years (40k) with Optimax + booster with no problems. Knock-link never went above green unless I bounced off limiter!
Old 12 November 2007, 07:04 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Id fit a KnockLink / DetAlarm to be sure; the detonation that holes a piston (number 3 usually) or destroys the big-end bearings cant be heard. The MY98 ECUs arent fantastic and they cant (or certainly couldnt then) be re-mapped. If I was using 99RON fuel in a MY98 WRX then I dont think that Id be unduly worried, but an STI is a different proposition.

Simon

Simon is right the STANDARD MY98 ECU cant be remapped to my knowledge (You need to upgrade the ECU) - only MY99 onwards has a standard ECU that can be remapped.