ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Cheeky Car Dealers!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2007, 08:30 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheeky Car Dealers!!

Bought new motor on Saturday and traded in my part ex. A price had been agreed over phone for part ex as I live over 100 miles from dealer. He took it for quick spin when I dropped it off and was not happy with a few things but gave us new car with all docs etc. Finance co already paid balance last week . He then rings me today saying that he thinks my old car has been used as a taxi at some point and that car has loads of faults and is a dog. Said I lied about mileage which I did not. Tells me he is going to 'turn the deal around' and come and collect new car from me! As I have already insured it and paid for private number plate transfer I said no way am I going to be out of pocket. He says that if I stump up another £1500 I can keep car, otherwise he will lose his job! Rings back later and says that if I pay £1000 he will pay the other £500 personally to his boss. I told him we did nothing wrong so want to seek legal advice. Solicitor says that deal is done and in eyes of law car is now mine. If he tries to take it it is theft. As far as trade in is concerned he is supposed expert and should have valued it properly before letting me take new car. In other words he has not got a leg to stand on. I know my old motor was not perfect which is why I bought new one obviously.
Old 12 November 2007, 08:35 PM
micabluematt
Scooby Regular

dealer sounds a bit like a 2hat
Old 12 November 2007, 09:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Tricky one this, dont know the answer but i am sure someone will,do you not need to disclose ans faults unless sold as seen is on bill of sale.Then again him proving that you knew is a different matter, it makes a change from them doing it to us.Enjoy the new car.

Mac
Old 12 November 2007, 09:16 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Tell him to f*ck off what an asshat
Old 12 November 2007, 09:59 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

as above
Old 12 November 2007, 10:03 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Finally a dealer being ripped off story instead if vice versa... and by a local lad too
Old 12 November 2007, 10:04 PM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

i would of thought they have the same rights as you. will be interesting few days bro.
Old 12 November 2007, 10:37 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Deals DONE, Its your car now.

Its up to them to check everything first.

You dont need to pay a penny more to him.

They try anything to get more money, but this is a good one!!
Old 13 November 2007, 02:06 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

as above cheeky twzt
Old 13 November 2007, 02:28 AM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

as above f**k him,he in the **** not you,how many times is it the other way round,if i was you i would just answer calls and pretend to be someone else and say he busy with a client and i will get to ring you back NOT,and let it go on for weeks like traders do
Old 13 November 2007, 07:53 AM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

NAME and SHAME him
Old 13 November 2007, 08:10 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

If you hid things from him then he does have a point..

Like if you filled the gearbox with coke and flour to get you there then thats a problem.. but if the clutch is just on the way out then stuff him.. I have sold two cars to dealers.. they have always been tidy, first onewouldn't go into park, didn't tell him that but he did get a bargin, he wasn't bothered.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:24 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Deal is done and the trader has had the opportunity to appraise your P/X car. If he has not taken the opportunity to flag up his concerns and delay the deal at the point of inspection then he has blown it.

The new car is now yours and he is clutching at straws if he thinks he can get £1500.00 out of you.

Enjoy
Old 13 November 2007, 08:32 AM
Rill
Scooby Regular

A week or so after I bought my Scoob the dealer phoned me up to say that the dealer buying my trade-in off them was complaining because it only had one key. He wanted to know if I was prepared to go halves (on £120+) for another one?
Old 13 November 2007, 08:35 AM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

It's all yours matey...

I worked in car sales years ago....The guys at the lash
Old 13 November 2007, 08:58 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have stitched up a Dealer ... thats why you made sure you didn't **** on your own doorstep, by buying 100 miles away.

However, they are the experts in cars and he inspected the car and drove it - I would say that it's tough on him.

However, if you lied about the cars history (and they do record telephone conversations) he would have every right to take the new car away as you have breached the contract and been dishonest.

I think you know that you were 'turning over' a Dealer - but they do it often enough to joe public .... so, I say, ignore the dealer and enjoy your new car.

They could, however, come and get it! I used to assist people to '****** back' cars quite a few years ago ...... I got paid cash-in-hand to simply stand by the car while they removed it. They may do this.
Old 13 November 2007, 09:11 AM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

If He comes down to try and collect.. break his legs he cant drive it away then and it will make you feel better too,Car dealers are tos**rs.
Old 13 November 2007, 09:24 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pslewis
You have stitched up a Dealer ... thats why you made sure you didn't **** on your own doorstep, by buying 100 miles away.

However, they are the experts in cars and he inspected the car and drove it - I would say that it's tough on him.

However, if you lied about the cars history (and they do record telephone conversations) he would have every right to take the new car away as you have breached the contract and been dishonest.

I think you know that you were 'turning over' a Dealer - but they do it often enough to joe public .... so, I say, ignore the dealer and enjoy your new car.

They could, however, come and get it! I used to assist people to '****** back' cars quite a few years ago ...... I got paid cash-in-hand to simply stand by the car while they removed it. They may do this.
It's your car - I take it you are now the registered owner/keeper. if you've paid in full then the dealer cannot go and just take the car back - that's theft!

However if you knowingly lied to them - yes it's a genuine 20,000 miles 1 owner from new - but you know that the last MOT had 88,000 miles then he's got a case. He has to prove it though.

So, enjoy the new car and say to him that the deals been done (and so has he)
Old 13 November 2007, 09:33 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

What did you buy and trade in?
Old 13 November 2007, 09:44 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So he test drove it when you took it up there? .....not sure what his problem is.

If you were buying a car, you dont test drive it, pay for it and then phone up later saying you want money off becuase its not as good as you first thought.

He inspected it and passed it when he signed the deal, he bad luck if he is not happy with it now. He is playing the sympanthy card saying he is going to loose his job.

The only worry you have is if you did now of severve mechanical faults that you did not disclose upon selling the car in which case its a matter for the courts.

Its your car now so he has no keys and cannot take the car without your approval or its theft.
Old 13 November 2007, 10:57 AM
khanny
Scooby Regular

Default Yes I agree

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Finally a dealer being ripped off story instead if vice versa... and by a local lad too

Thats what they get if they give you peanuts for your car
Old 13 November 2007, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Bought new motor on Saturday and traded in my part ex. A price had been agreed over phone for part ex as I live over 100 miles from dealer. He took it for quick spin when I dropped it off and was not happy with a few things but gave us new car with all docs etc. Finance co already paid balance last week . He then rings me today saying that he thinks my old car has been used as a taxi at some point and that car has loads of faults and is a dog. Said I lied about mileage which I did not. Tells me he is going to 'turn the deal around' and come and collect new car from me! As I have already insured it and paid for private number plate transfer I said no way am I going to be out of pocket. He says that if I stump up another £1500 I can keep car, otherwise he will lose his job! Rings back later and says that if I pay £1000 he will pay the other £500 personally to his boss. I told him we did nothing wrong so want to seek legal advice. Solicitor says that deal is done and in eyes of law car is now mine. If he tries to take it it is theft. As far as trade in is concerned he is supposed expert and should have valued it properly before letting me take new car. In other words he has not got a leg to stand on. I know my old motor was not perfect which is why I bought new one obviously.
It wasn't GMD of Durham was it? Tell them to f*ckoff. They should have inspected the car before agreeing a trade-in price. his mistake, his job. Tough ****.
Old 13 November 2007, 04:13 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
It wasn't GMD of Durham was it? Tell them to f*ckoff. They should have inspected the car before agreeing a trade-in price. his mistake, his job. Tough ****.
Durham is not 100 miles away from Sunderland mate... not unless you go the long way
Old 13 November 2007, 05:25 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Like a few have said.

You have not knowingly lied
You have given him the opportunity to test drive (he did)
He and you signed deal.

Then Tough Titty Wah Wah on his behalf.
Just like it would be for you if you bought private.

Cost more in legals than £1500 so cant see them trying.

When he gets sack he might have a grudge??? But most salesmen move every couple of months anyway, and by the sounds of this one he isnt good at his job.
Old 13 November 2007, 06:46 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well done, it serves him right LOL.

If he contacts you again tell him something is not as you thought it was with the new car and you want him to stump up £1,500 to get it fixed or as an offset, play him at his own game if you want the sport or just tell him to 'GO away' deal done sold as seen to dealer you do not offer any warrenty etc unlike him as a trader.
Old 13 November 2007, 07:08 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

Sounds like hes trying it on with you i bet the extra £1000 is going in his pocket, bet he does it to everyone, ring his boss or the parent company and discuss it with them throwing in what your solicitor has said. (unless of course your car WAS a pup!) in which case eeeerr good luck.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:40 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Buyer beware, works both ways.
Old 13 November 2007, 08:57 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

depends if it's yours or the finance companys
Old 14 November 2007, 11:33 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Durham is not 100 miles away from Sunderland mate... not unless you go the long way

Yeah, missed the bit about 100 miles away....... D'oh
Old 14 November 2007, 11:38 AM
MonkiP1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like hes being a ****,

Once the papers are signed and agreed its legally your car, the dealer cant do nothing about it.

Provided you read all the terms and conditions there isnt a problem

Quick Reply: Cheeky Car Dealers!!