ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Considering getting a classic

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2007, 11:23 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering getting a classic

So here's the story. I currently own a bugeye with PPP, which I've had for about 8 months. I absolutely love it to bits, however I'm soon going to be moving in with my mrs, meaning I'll need a few extra pennies if possible. So, I'm considering selling the bugeye and buying myself a classic, which *should* leave some money left over for savings.

By the time I come to sell it, the bug will have done around 70k miles, so I'd hope to get about £6500 or so for it (hopefully a bit more). I've looked on Piston Heads etc and found lots of classics for around the 4-5000 mark, which would be perfect.

I'm relatively new to the scooby scene, and to be quite honest classics confuse me a bit. I'm not sure what I should be looking for, many of them are advertised as 'Impreza Turbo's', are they just the same as WRX's? What should I look for and is there anything I should be avoiding?

I'd also like to know about performance. The chap I bought my bug from owned a classic before it and said he preferred it, because he thought it was a little more 'raw' and seemed a bit faster. How quick is your average classic? Not STi or anything? And saying that, maybe I should go for an STi, as I've seen one or two within my price range.

The only big worries I have about the whole thing is:

a) mods - I'm not keen on lots of modding (I know, shouldn't have a scooby really should I?), so I'm looking for a car that has been fiddled with as little as possible (a blank canvass if you will).

b) mileage. Being older classics seem to have quite high mileage. Is this a worry or are they extremely reliable even to very high mileage?

Any info would be massively appreciated! Thanks in advance guys and girls.
Old 13 November 2007, 11:30 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

well i prefer classics to bugeyes, but dont do it purely if you think you're saving money

the classic will cost the same to run, and being an older car you MAY end up spending out the £1500-2000 you've saved putting the bits right. if an engine rebuild is required, then you're royally f**ked

thats NOT to say they're any more unreliable - in fact, my classic has been going for 100k (original engine, original gearbox and believe it or not original clutch) and still plenty of life in it yet

there are heaps of good original classics that haven't been messed with... but also loads of dogs

so if you're doing it to save some cash, don't bother. if however you're doing it for a more raw car, then try one out and see
Old 13 November 2007, 11:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, to attempt to save money this way is not going to work .... the Classic you would want will cost more than your Bug-Eye IMO.

Imprezas, indeed all cars, are hard to sell currently. Your Bug-Eye will be harder to sell than any other Impreza 'type'.
Old 14 November 2007, 10:35 AM
Clubbi
Scooby Regular

I did what you are considering and it has worked for me, but I would suggest you go about this in a specific way.

1) Sell your bugeye privately if you can (maximise your return on the car)
2) Know exactly what you want in the classic.
3) Take someone with you who knows classic scoobs when you look at cars, they will spot non-standard stuff that aint good. Or use this forum or SIDC Faq plenty for advice.
4) Imports can be great. My first Uk car was a dog, but knowing what i know now I wouldnt have bought it! Lot of horror stories about non Uk mapped Imports, just make sure you know what you are getting, whether it needs a remap and what fuel works for the car long term.
5) I wouldnt be too sacred of mods with the right protection fitted. My 99 Turbo was decatted and needed a new engine before I got it - I had a knocklink and 3 guage pod fitted so I know whats going on. It is great fun to drive, not as fast as my Sti was, and I love it.

Classic are great - I think you can pick up parts for the classics very cheaply nowadays - will it save you money other than the £2k ish you hope to recover from selling the bugeye and buying the classic - I dont think so.

Cheers
Clubbi
Old 14 November 2007, 12:41 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If you are serious about saving money, don't go buying a scoob that you don't know. Buy a diesel instead, run it for a year, then see where you are financially.
Old 14 November 2007, 08:15 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
If you are serious about saving money, don't go buying a scoob that you don't know. Buy a diesel instead, run it for a year, then see where you are financially.
Lol I'm not *that* serious about saving money.

Last edited by Probein; 14 November 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 14 November 2007, 09:42 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

as pslewis said, you may be sharing out the same or a bit more than your bugeye for a decent classic, it took me over a year to find the right one for me and very glad i waited.
Plus classics are better
Old 14 November 2007, 10:30 PM
jaya
Scooby Regular

I would go for a one that hasnt been modified too..the only thing is that they are not easy to find in the classic range..it taken me 7 months to find me a non modified standard scoob.,but im glad i waited and kept looking.i seen some real thrashed classic's during my search.just stay away from the trash,and dont get impatient if u still looking in 2 months time..mines an imported sti,dont rule out going for an import either.