Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Accident involving a Subaru on Mon in Derby...

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2007, 12:23 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Accident involving a Subaru on Mon in Derby...

Found out today that a colleague is off work due to his mother being involved in a traffic accident last Mon.
I don't know much detail but apparantly she was driving her Fiesta on the A6 near Duffield. 2 cars were travelling in the opposite direction with a Subaru overtaking and going head-on into the Fiesta.

Hope everyone involved is ok.

Nick
Old 14 November 2007, 12:32 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

I just can't understand why these accidents happen so often... Younge lad killed up near me about a fortnight ago overtaking on a brow of a hill (his fault) and had a head on... Really what goes on in peoples minds when they overtake without being able to see if the road is clear or not!
Old 14 November 2007, 12:48 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

It makes you wonder doesn't it. I'd like to put it down to a sudden lack of concentration; but frankly, you know exactly what your doing when you overtake, and overtaking somewhere where you haven't got a clear view of the road is inexcusable.

Doesn't matter how quick your car is, if you can't see, you can't see. That sort of driving is infinitly more dangerous than pure excessive speed - yet there is very little done about it by the police (because there arn't enough unmarked cars on the road), or the courts - when people caught for causing accidents like this get little more than a slap on the wrists and a few points.

Still - hope everyont is as okay as possible; unfortunatly these accidents tend to be very serious for all parties involved
Old 14 November 2007, 01:15 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Instead of having loads of speed cameras to help reduce accidents, why don't they just punish the people when they have an accident. That way the genuine bad drivers get punished. They should get points for a bad accident, or banned for a period of time.
You'd soon see a reduction in the number of accidents I reckon.
Old 14 November 2007, 01:57 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Instead of having loads of speed cameras to help reduce accidents, why don't they just punish the people when they have an accident. That way the genuine bad drivers get punished. They should get points for a bad accident, or banned for a period of time.
You'd soon see a reduction in the number of accidents I reckon.
Then you move on to proving whos fault it is......
Old 14 November 2007, 02:03 PM
RallyInfo
Scooby Regular

Saw a young guy in a Skoda Felicia try to overtake at a blind corner on a country road just last week - luckily enough he spotted the Renault Espace that was coming in the opposite direction just before it was too late, jumped on the anchors and back in. Had it been a standard saloon car or bike (etc), he probably wouldn't have seen the top of the car over the hedge. Lucky, could have been very nasty.
Old 14 November 2007, 02:11 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

I think travelling on the wrong side of the road speaks volume's as to who's fault it would be fella!

its personally one of biggest gripes on our roads,i witnessed a micra basically chasing a fiesta in a 60 zone yesterday whilst out in my van,the fiesta flew past me,then seconds later the micra did exactly the same,and off they proceeded in and out of the line of traffic,approaching a blind crest,i thought ok boys funs over,but no.............the fiesta jumps out from behind a car and overtakes on the blind crest followed by the micra,wagon coming the other way,the fiesta made it,the micra had to lock up and swerve back in nearly sending the innocent motorist which they were overtaking up a banking and into a wall

just plain stupidity and lack of experience,these idiots must be punished,these two where lucky,for some poor sod who gets in there way may not be so lucky next time

p.s well wishe's to your friends mother buddy

marcus
Old 14 November 2007, 02:22 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

The money being invested in money camera's, if they took that same technology and applied it to places like blind bends you would have less accidents.

One of the most effective things I have seen introduced only in a handful of places are those electronic warning signs that flash to tell you to slow down - they actually work and give less of a heart attack compared to camera's (at least then if the driver ignores the blatantly obvious sign they get flashed by the camera).

If we had similar devices positioned on blind bends and other hazerdous/invisible area's, I bet we would have far less deaths. At least people would get warned there is on-coming traffic etc, I think at least for me that would mean I would not even think about trying to overtake on a blind bend or a hill.