ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WR1, STI PPP, or WRX???

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 06:40 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WR1, STI PPP, or WRX???

As above really, i'm after some advice on what to change to next, if anyones got any experience or advice (good or bad) of the above, it would be much appreciated, i just do'nt know what to buy, i started looking for a blobeye sti ppp, but then found a few wr1's for sale, and then started to think about hawkeye sti's as well (do they do a ppp for them) and now iv'e got no idea what to do, i'm going to look at a wr1 tomorrow, is there anything i should be looking for?
Old 15 November 2007, 06:51 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive a bugeye, But if I were buying a scoob again Id go for the blobeye, The WR1 been the daddy , They look nice ,
Old 15 November 2007, 06:52 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Really depends what you like. I didn't buy a WR1 as don't like the colour.

The hawkeye has the 2.5 engine which IMO is outstanding for a road car. I bought an STI without the PPP and got a custom map for nearly half the cost. You can get the PPP for a hawkeye, it costs £1700 I think as an option.

Best option is to test drive them all.
Old 15 November 2007, 06:54 PM
MikeyTang
Scooby Regular

wr1 will have the extras of prodrive springs, the Pff7 wheels, fogs, front grill mesh and the exclusivity of being a limited edition. The only put off for me is the colour.
Old 15 November 2007, 06:56 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Really depends what you like. I didn't buy a WR1 as don't like the colour.

The hawkeye has the 2.5 engine which IMO is outstanding for a road car. I bought an STI without the PPP and got a custom map for nearly half the cost. You can get the PPP for a hawkeye, it costs £1700 I think as an option.

Best option is to test drive them all.

Do you know what bhp and torque the ppp produces on a hawkeye sti?, the salesmen i spoke to about the wr1 keeps waffling on about it being the quickest and most powerful subaru production car.
Old 15 November 2007, 06:59 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Top of my head, I think the Hawkeye STI PPP produces 320bhp the same as the WR1 but I may be wrong. What he means is the PPP is fitted as standard in the WR1, it's an optional extra in the standard STI. Bollocks really. He is wrong as well as is not taking into consideration the RB320 and then there is a whole host of quicker JDM cars like the Spec C and RA-R.

It's a good point above about the wheels and springs in the WR1. They will cost you a few bob after market. Costing me £300 for the prodrive springs.

Last edited by Mikkel; 15 November 2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 15 November 2007, 06:59 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

WRX PPP is the way to go - much more of a daily driver car and just as fast as the STI. Luckily I am selling mine as I have now bought a merc.

Here is the link - have reduced it from 11,500 to 10,750 but cant take any lower.

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX PPP
Old 15 November 2007, 07:04 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJL_WRX05
WRX PPP is the way to go - much more of a daily driver car and just as fast as the STI. Luckily I am selling mine as I have now bought a merc.

Here is the link - have reduced it from 11,500 to 10,750 but cant take any lower.

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

Thanks for the offer, but iv'e already got a 5dr wrx with ppp, and don't need a five door anymore, i used to have a bugeye sti without ppp so i know a bit about what they drive like, its just the newer stuff i have'nt kept up with so i don't really know whats good and whats bad nowadays.
Old 15 November 2007, 07:25 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
Do you know what bhp and torque the ppp produces on a hawkeye sti?, the salesmen i spoke to about the wr1 keeps waffling on about it being the quickest and most powerful subaru production car.
Old 15 November 2007, 07:43 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

I wouldn`t go for any of those 3, this is what i would go for.

Type25
Old 15 November 2007, 10:57 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

It all depends on your budget, how "hard" you want the car to be and appearance preferences.

I like the new Hawkeye STI in White or Black .
If you want a proper hard motor go for the JDM STI's as they are a better car from standard.

I'm not a WR1 fan and if you have that sort of cash, don't bother with a Blobeye STI PPP, they are getting dated now. (although I have one and think they are great)
Old 15 November 2007, 11:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

WR1, though I am biased
Old 16 November 2007, 02:44 AM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

it depends on how much u want to spend m8
if it was me i would buy a rb320
or you could buy a hawkeye sti (in white) and spend a few £ on engine mods
and you could have a 400bhp everyday car (unlike a spec c)depends on what u want a fast comfy car or totally in ya face beast,have good think b4 u jump in
Old 16 November 2007, 09:51 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Any thoughts on WR1's, i'm going to look at one today?
Old 16 November 2007, 11:39 AM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Let us know what you think. Am wondering what to get next as well.
Old 16 November 2007, 12:55 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Depending what your budget is I'd go for the last and greatest of all Imprezas, the Hawkeye. Its the newest and best looking plus you get the 2.5 as standard, none of this little 2L engine stuff, all in jest there.

On a serious note look for a new hawkeye STi and then get a custom map done to get the power upto the 350bhp 380lbft mark, thats what I'm in the process of doing at the moment.

Test drive them all mate.

G
Old 16 November 2007, 01:06 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Magic, did you test drive the Spec D or just Type UK sti? I am interested in a Spec D. Nice motor by the way
Old 16 November 2007, 01:16 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leic_Matt
Magic, did you test drive the Spec D or just Type UK sti? I am interested in a Spec D. Nice motor by the way
As well you should be, they are superb !

Value for money wise you can't beat a simple tuned 2.5 WRX.
Old 16 November 2007, 01:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Import STi Power is there already, just needs atweak to get it out. 2l twin scroll............hmmmmmmmm nice.
Old 16 November 2007, 02:29 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
As above really, i'm after some advice on what to change to next, if anyones got any experience or advice (good or bad) of the above, it would be much appreciated, i just do'nt know what to buy, i started looking for a blobeye sti ppp, but then found a few wr1's for sale, and then started to think about hawkeye sti's as well (do they do a ppp for them) and now iv'e got no idea what to do, i'm going to look at a wr1 tomorrow, is there anything i should be looking for?
I was in the same boat a few months ago , went for a 2005 STI with PPP , it seemed the best value at the time for me . As much as I liked the WR1 , I couldn't justify paying the extra 3k or so for an older car, with more frequent service intervals when I average about 10k a year . As for the Hawkeye , again I like the car but didn't think it was worth the premium. As a guide , I payed £15250 for an 05 STI with PPP and 21k on the clock .

Dave
Old 16 November 2007, 03:13 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I didn't test the Spec D mate, I wanted an in your face scooby as I have always wanted one with all the spoilers, blingin gold wheels etc

However, I must say the Spec D has grown on me, although it defeats the object to a certain extent I like a Spec D with the big scooby spoiler on the back, I think it looks reayy good.

I test drove a Blobeye 05 STi PPP and a Hawkeye STi and I just prefered the Hawk, comes to down personal taste and driving style I guess, found the Blobeye a good drive but a bit more of a busy drive whereas I fell in love with the torque from the Hawkeye from the start, as even in standard form it pulls like a train, especially once you get it into 3rd gear!

As a few people have said get a Hawkeye and then a custom map and reap the rewards of that torque!

G
Old 16 November 2007, 04:37 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

I think a Spec D and some mods might be the way forward for me, once they come down in price. I want something a bit more discreet as I haven't got a drive to stick it on or garage to hide it away in.
Old 16 November 2007, 04:41 PM
Scooby Senior

I think a Spec D and some mods might be the way forward for me, once they come down in price. I want something a bit more discreet as I haven't got a drive to stick it on or garage to hide it away in.
YouTube - STi Spec-D
Old 16 November 2007, 04:50 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Did you try a Spec D with PPP? Is it better to get a standard one and mod it?
Old 16 November 2007, 04:59 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Well as a few have mentioned the PPP will cost in the region of £1700 and will take you upto 320bhp on a hawkeye with similar torque, a custom map takes you to 350bhp and upto 390ftlb all for under £1K.

G
Old 16 November 2007, 05:07 PM
Leic_Matt
Scooby Regular

Custom remap it is!
Old 16 November 2007, 05:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Did you try a Spec D with PPP? Is it better to get a standard one and mod it?
Better to get a standard one and mod it. I tried PPP and bought it for my previous WRX and was deeply underwhelmed !

PPP is ok but its a shed load of cash for not alot IMHO. Lots of threads about the pros and cons of PPP. Basically if you buy one with PPP then great, but for gods sake don't pay for it yourself. You can buy the parts for a fraction of the cost it would set you back from a dealer. Basically it comes down to a debate about value for money and warranty which is not clear cut or one thats worth having online.

I came to the conclusion that if anything went wrong that was a result of my performance enhancements (unlikely as they were well researched and undertaken by professionals more qualified than dealers) I would simply improve on what was there before.

All my tuning has been done by Mocom Racing and the car is set up spot on for what I wanted and the price I was prepared to pay.
Old 16 November 2007, 05:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by magicgreg
Well as a few have mentioned the PPP will cost in the region of £1700 and will take you upto 320bhp on a hawkeye with similar torque, a custom map takes you to 350bhp and upto 390ftlb all for under £1K.

G
With full decat, if you go down the MOT friendly sports cat/centre decat route expect slightly less 335/375

Also keep the Standard BB for the full sleeper look.

YouTube - STI
Old 16 November 2007, 05:28 PM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

can you buy a spec-d with ppp aswell then? i thought it was 276bhp for all spec d's????
Old 16 November 2007, 05:40 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrxjay03
can you buy a spec-d with ppp aswell then? i thought it was 276bhp for all spec d's????
Of course, you can Just another dealer fit option as new or when buying used.

Quick Reply: WR1, STI PPP, or WRX???