Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Had it serviced. Now got a popping noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2007, 11:08 AM
ubdai
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Had it serviced. Now got a popping noise!

Thought it was time the fozzie went in for its annual yearly service.
Jumped in this morning started it up and was purring nicely.

Took it down to the garage, where they asked if all was okay and had i noticed anything to report. Answer was no.

Left the car there and went for a wander round the town. Got the missus to drop me off and went in for the car. They had a nice little apprentice trying to replace the bulb in one of the foglights. Unfortunately i knew it was seized in and told him to leave it alone. Didn't want him breaking that bloody thing and costing me more money.

He then told his gaffer who then drove the car out to waiting bays.

I went in to settle up the bill. All done and dusted. Then went out to the car, started it up and straight away heard something was wrong. Apart from the gentle purring there was a popping or knocking coming from the RHS of the engine bay just under and left from the washer water bottle. Called out a mechanic and he spent 5 mins trying to trace the noise. Finally traced it to a 'Pressure relief valve /fuel pressure regulator' on the fuel input system. Could also be felt in the vacuum pipes feeding the engine.

Told the mechanic all was fine in the morning and he said it must have been on the way out when it was brought in as there was no need to go near it during the service. Is this correct? And can the PRV suddenly go and start popping like that. Have got to wait until Tuesday now for the boss to come back so that we can discuss the situation.

All information appreciated for when I talk to the boss.

If I do need a new 'PRV' can anyone recommend a supplier either online or local to me in Essex. OR if anyones local to me in Harlow and knows his cars could they PM me and possibly arrange a quick visit to give it a listen and see what they think it is.

cheers all

ubdai