ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

engine removal advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2007, 10:23 PM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine removal advice

just bought a M reg 4 door wrx RA with a blown head gasket,so i will be removing the engine,any advice on removal as i have never done a scoob engine removal before (done other cars )which is the best way to do it engine upwards away from car or engine downwards away from car(ie-engine out of car or car away from engine) + any other advice would be helpful
Old 16 December 2007, 12:06 PM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 16 December 2007, 01:14 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finnigan5823
just bought a M reg 4 door wrx RA with a blown head gasket,so i will be removing the engine,any advice on removal as i have never done a scoob engine removal before (done other cars )which is the best way to do it engine upwards away from car or engine downwards away from car(ie-engine out of car or car away from engine) + any other advice would be helpful
Lift engine upwards out of car

Pretty straight forward to do. Make sure you remove the cap on the right hand side of the gearbox(from front of engine)it's a 10mm allen key needed iirc. You then need to screw a 6mm bolt into the clutch pivot pin and withdraw it. If you don't do this you won't be able to seperate the engine from the gearbox.

I'm sure someone else will be able to post up a better description.
Old 16 December 2007, 01:40 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
Lift engine upwards out of car

Pretty straight forward to do. Make sure you remove the cap on the right hand side of the gearbox(from front of engine)it's a 10mm allen key needed iirc. You then need to screw a 6mm bolt into the clutch pivot pin and withdraw it. If you don't do this you won't be able to seperate the engine from the gearbox.

I'm sure someone else will be able to post up a better description.
amazing how many folk forget/dont know about this my mate owns a garage and had a wrx in and couldnt get it to seperate was there for hours swearing at it,i was in dropping off come computer games,pointed out the cap and 10 mins later engine was out
Old 16 December 2007, 01:46 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
amazing how many folk forget/dont know about this my mate owns a garage and had a wrx in and couldnt get it to seperate was there for hours swearing at it,i was in dropping off come computer games,pointed out the cap and 10 mins later engine was out
It's had a few people on here confused !

Also if it has air-con,don't disconnect the pipes as some people say you need to,you will need to have it re-gassed if you do this.

Just unbolt the air-con pump from the engine and swing it out of the way with the pipes still connected. I just rested mine in the inner wing.