ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bye bye Scooby...

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2007, 09:56 PM
Nog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bye bye Scooby...

Yep, finally done it. After eight years of Impreza ownership (MY00 Turbo and MY04 WRX), I've changed stable.

The new WRX just doesn't do it for me. Finding a replacement for the beloved Scooby was hard, and I've had to make a couple of compromises, but I believe I've gained more than lost.

Considered and test drove the Renault Sport Clio 197/Megane 230, Focus RS2 and Seat Cupra.

Then heard about the Mazda 3 MPS, and took an extended test drive. The 3 MPS has a very capable engine, and pulled and pulled...... when the front wheels were straight. However, give it 3rd / 4th gear welly with steering input, and whoah, didn't feel in control. The road was moist, but the level of torque steer, and the flashing traction control warning light made me remove it from my list of possibles.

Spoke to the dealer, and he asked whether I'd be interested in the Mazda 6 MPS, which was 4WD. Previousbly unaware of this. Booked another test drive. One week later, my Impreza WRX was traded in.

What a car. OK, the 0-6 time of 6.6 doesn't give me the initial pull-away punch of my old Scooby, but once underway, the car just pulls and pulls, with the torque available across a mammoth rev range (no longer do I need to float between 3rd and 4th to keep the turbo awake). The pull in 4th, 5th and even 6th is incredible. I really need to start concentrating on the speedometer, as the legal speeds soon fly past!

So far the pros are: Lovely interior, with full leather. Tactile switches. Xenon HID lights. Power/Torque. Spanking Bose stereo with HDD. Dare I mention it.... MPG.

Only two cons on my list: Steering feedback not as good as Impreza. No more boxer burble.

So, now, I need to find an MPS forum. Anyone know the URL?
Old 17 December 2007, 12:04 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Equipment levels are good aren't they?

Why can't Subaru equip their cars like a £20,000+ car should be????
Old 17 December 2007, 12:04 AM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds good. url:

www.youmadethewrongchoice.com