ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DVLA road tax rip-off!

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 05:14 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVLA road tax rip-off!

The next few lines should really test out the swear filters!

The DVLA are a thieving bunch of ******* and can ****ing suck my big fat man vegetable!

Now thats over I called the DVLA earlier ragarding my OTT £300 demand for 12 months Road Tax and incredibly enough got through to someone within two minutes!

It would appear that for some reason those lovely Welsh people at the DVLA have managed to obtain the CO2 figure for my car and have therefore based my road tax on it despite the fact that normaly I should only be paying tax baed on engine capacity seeing its a 1999 V plate STI6.

I asked if I could appeal this and he said "no, not really".

Now that sounds very unfair to me. What are you guys paying and has anyone encountered a similar issue when taxing a classic scooby?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Yeah right!
Old 28 December 2007, 05:17 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

does it have anything to do with its age????

or does that just apply to sva's??
Old 28 December 2007, 05:20 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

last time a paid tax in August , it was £200 for my P1( which is the same as yr sti 6 )
Old 28 December 2007, 05:22 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

Well, on the DVLA site it says cars registered after March 2001 however in that case why was I only paying £185 for a 1990 3 litre twin turbo 300zx!?
Old 28 December 2007, 05:28 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

They cant obtain a CO2 figure, because FHI didnt submit a new 1999 STI V5 for type approval testing when it was new. You should write to your MP: this can be extremely effective in cases like this.

Simon
Old 28 December 2007, 05:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

From the AA site

Road Tax
What it costs and how to renew

Known formally as Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) or Variable VED (VVED), the amount of road tax you pay depends on engine size or CO2 emission levels depending on the age of the car.

Payment Bands
If your car was registered after March 2001, there's a series of tax bands based on on fuel type and CO2 emission levels.

Opt for an alternative fuel to petrol, such as LPG, which has a lower emissions rating, and you'll pay less tax.

There are now seven payment bands, A to G. The highest, band G, was added in the 2006 budget and applies only to cars newly registered after 23 March 2006.
Old 28 December 2007, 06:04 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

That does not sound right to be honest. I hope you did not pay it !
If I where you I would not pay them today and ring tommorow again and ask the same question to someone else, but make sure they know its a 1999 registered car !
And if get the same answer (hopeing you don't as its seems to be just some muppet at DVLA that is spouting rubbish), as to to speak to a manager.

Richard
Old 28 December 2007, 06:09 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rsarjantson
That does not sound right to be honest. I hope you did not pay it !
If I where you I would not pay them today and ring tommorow again and ask the same question to someone else, but make sure they know its a 1999 registered car !
And if get the same answer (hopeing you don't as its seems to be just some muppet at DVLA that is spouting rubbish), as to to speak to a manager.

Richard
There's a difference between registered and manufactured

At the end of the day, it's just another government con.

Pay tax on your earnings, tax on everything you buy etc etc.
Old 28 December 2007, 06:10 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

I also hate the DVLA.

That is all. If I go into more detail i'll turn into Stressed Eric
Old 28 December 2007, 06:16 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Well i have just renewed MY04 Spec C last month and it was £180 for the year.was reg new here approx late 03/early 04

Mac
Old 28 December 2007, 06:20 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

£300 seems very high.

My 04 sti is £210pa
Old 28 December 2007, 06:27 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
From the AA site

Road Tax
What it costs and how to renew

Known formally as Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) or Variable VED (VVED), the amount of road tax you pay depends on engine size or CO2 emission levels depending on the age of the car.

Payment Bands
If your car was registered after March 2001, there's a series of tax bands based on on fuel type and CO2 emission levels.

Opt for an alternative fuel to petrol, such as LPG, which has a lower emissions rating, and you'll pay less tax.

There are now seven payment bands, A to G. The highest, band G, was added in the 2006 budget and applies only to cars newly registered after 23 March 2006.
'First use' and 'first registered' are taken to mean the same thing and most DVLA regulations dont differentiate. They aent the same though and as Ive pointed out before, there arent any official CO2 figures for them to use. There arent. They dont exist. This is an ignorant admin error and unless people act now to stop it, it will set a precedent.

Simon
Old 28 December 2007, 06:44 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

When was it regd in UK though fella? If after Mar 06 then you're in trouble, as I am - see here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...0-car-tax.html

I've written many letters to DVLA all with same reply back from them - that's just how it is, get over it! My next step is to write to my MP as IMHO it's an outrageous money grabbing scheme

TX.

Edit - apologies Simon if I've not understood your couple of posts

Originally Posted by Justindorville
It would appear that for some reason those lovely Welsh people at the DVLA have managed to obtain the CO2 figure for my car and have therefore based my road tax on it despite the fact that normaly I should only be paying tax baed on engine capacity seeing its a 1999 V plate STI6.

Last edited by Terminator X; 28 December 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 28 December 2007, 06:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

If thats the case they will kill the import market as people will not pay the higher tax cost for a 1999 or similar fresh import.
Old 28 December 2007, 06:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
'First use' and 'first registered' are taken to mean the same thing and most DVLA regulations dont differentiate. They aent the same though and as Ive pointed out before, there arent any official CO2 figures for them to use. There arent. They dont exist. This is an ignorant admin error and unless people act now to stop it, it will set a precedent.

Simon
My understanding is that it was first registered in the UK. First used will apply the plate year so a 99 sti first used in March and imported in 2007 will be a T plate with a registered date of ??/??/07.
Old 28 December 2007, 06:52 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
When was it regd in UK though fella? If after Mar 06 then you're in trouble, as I am - see here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...0-car-tax.html

I've written many letters to DVLA all with same reply back from them - that's just how it is, get over it! My next step is to write to my MP as IMHO it's an outrageous money grabbing scheme

TX.

Edit - apologies Simon if I've not understood your couple of posts
It was registered in June of this year. If they don't have a figure for an STI6 though then where have they got it from.

On my V5 it does state a figure of 326 G/KM.

I think I will be moaning at my MP too. I am fed up to the back teeth of this ploy of taxing the **** off the motorist!
Old 28 December 2007, 06:57 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

326!!! Jeez!

Someone has registered it with that figure.

Last edited by MattW; 28 December 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 28 December 2007, 07:07 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

The way i see it is that you can write as many letters as you like to your MP but at the end of the day can you really see the government making a u-turn.They want to rape as much of your hard earned as they possibly can so they wont be letting you of £80 odd or so a year.I'm afraid we have to take it on the chin(s),if there was a way of reducing tax for the motorist id be there like a shot.The government will eventually price every performance car and 4x4 off the road and it has **** all to do with global warming
Old 28 December 2007, 07:25 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

Does anyone who else with a classic have any mention of a Co2 figure on their V5 and if so what figure does it state?

Last edited by Justindorville; 30 December 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 28 December 2007, 07:26 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

it's not the DVLA they are just a department of the sh1te taxtaxtax government, it is the government who imposed this robbery, and sadly nothing can be done to show our displeasure as this country on the whole is too selfish to inconvenience themselves for the bigger picture. There are small numbers of people who try to change things and who protest either by direct protests or by voting (the appalling apathy during elections says it all really) but these are few and far between, for example, the fuel protests, no-one wanted to know because it would be an inconvenience, so it fell on it's ****, the government saw this and now have free reign to rape the motorist even more whilst spouting the 'environment' mantra whilst a million government light bulbs are left burning in empty offices up and down the country, the worst thing is that we all know that the next governemnt will pick up the baton and run with the current level of taxation.............vive la revolution.
Old 30 December 2007, 11:20 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the DVLA are bunch of c*nts!!!!! They are too busy downloading and watching **** all day (see the press!!!!) to deal with anything else.

They are also a bunch of racist f*cks!
Because i live in Wales they said they would said they would send me a new driving licence in Welsh/English. I asked them to send me one in Gaelic/English and they said they don't do it!!!! Even though Gaelic is a national language of this country and spoken by more people than Welsh!!!!

Anyway back to the topic, they are trying to rip you off!
Old 30 December 2007, 12:35 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

no one speaks gaelic its archaic gibberish that no one understands.English is the language of every country in the UK.There is no call for gaelic anymore hence why they dont do it
Old 30 December 2007, 12:48 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaulC72
If thats the case they will kill the import market as people will not pay the higher tax cost for a 1999 or similar fresh import.
Dont forget killing the Import market is good for the treasury!
Old 30 December 2007, 01:26 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

I have a 1996 import that was first registered in the uk in dec 06 but after having a look through my v5 there is no figure stated for the co2 figure just the engine capacity. Also when i bought the car 5 months ago from the dealer they put 6 months tax on it and didn't mention paying through the roof car tax at the post office?

steve
Old 30 December 2007, 01:40 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
no one speaks gaelic its archaic gibberish that no one understands.English is the language of every country in the UK.There is no call for gaelic anymore hence why they dont do it
hmm now thats a comment from some one whos in the Know!

NOT!

pog mo liarodai elie!

Nuff said!
Old 30 December 2007, 04:22 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shogo10
I have a 1996 import that was first registered in the uk in dec 06 but after having a look through my v5 there is no figure stated for the co2 figure just the engine capacity. Also when i bought the car 5 months ago from the dealer they put 6 months tax on it and didn't mention paying through the roof car tax at the post office?

steve
So yours was registered after March 2006 and has no CO2 figure.

From thats point your car is identical to mine as to it being registered after March 2006.

I would love to know how I have a CO2 figure quoted on my V5 then.

Does anyone know if there is a full list of cars online stating there CO2 figures?
Old 30 December 2007, 04:37 PM
Justindorville
Scooby Regular

I have just had a look on my VOSA Type Approval certificate and it states the C02 at 326.1. The same as whats on my road tax reminder.

Am I right in thinking that because my car is pre March 2001 that this should not have been taken into consideration?

There is also no N/A written in the box for DVLA Model Code.

Last edited by Justindorville; 30 December 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 30 December 2007, 08:18 PM
Scoobymart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Justindorville
Does anyone who else with a classic have any mention of a Co2 figure on their V5 and if so what figure does it state?
I have a type R WRC v/LTD V6 my00 and was first regesterd in this country o3 and does not state any Co2 figures at all on my V5 form.
Old 31 December 2007, 09:31 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
hmm now thats a comment from some one whos in the Know!

NOT!

pog mo liarodai elie!

Nuff said!
Well said!
Old 31 December 2007, 10:09 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

First off, this is a UK govt/civil service thing. Nothing to do with Welsh/Scots/Irish or any national characters/sports or languages.

IMO they're trying to charge you for a known, new vehicle, which is imported to the UK for first use. Obviously, this isn't the case.

If you can prove that it was first used abroad and you're importing it used, then you should get the age related rules applied. i.e. Tax based on capacity.

J.

Quick Reply: DVLA road tax rip-off!