ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Help?! Hawkeye STi Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 05:19 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?! Hawkeye STi Problem...

...yesterday, was driving my car in 4th gear, planted the foot at about 3k rpm and went to about 4k rpm and lifted off before slowing to take a roundabout. Anyway, as I dipped the clutch, the revs stuck at 3000rpm, so I limped it into the nearest lay-by and stopped.

It was like the throttle cable had snapped or jammed, but not having a mechanical throttle cable meant that this is unlikely. The car would NOT rev any higher, nor would it drop below 3000rpm... Both Oil Press/Oil Temp were fine and Boost had shown a peak of 1.5bar which it is mapped to anyway, so nothing out of the ordinary there!!

Was idling alright at that level, no misfire or rough running, no smoke, steam or rattles/knocks.......... so I turned car off, locked it and left it a minute or two. Then I opened it, started it, and it ran fine. Gave it a wee bit of a test out once I'd driven it slowly to make sure it wasnt going to kick back to 3k rpm...and when given some boost it pulls as it did, no smoke, steam, etc etc... doesnt seem to be a problem, but obviously something happened that it didnt like.

Has anyone had a problem like this before?? ...cause I'm pretty lost as to what it could have been to be honest!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 December 2007, 05:28 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it have logged up any fault codes in the background Grant, have you anyway of reading them via a data monitor etc ?
Old 28 December 2007, 05:36 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Possibly would have logged a fault code Si... I actually work for a Dealer with a Subaru Franchise as part of our building so might try and get a Select Monitor on the thing to see if anything is showing up.

If it helps, then the car isn't standard any longer.. has been running the following spec for 1000miles & the car has 6k miles on it in total.

3" Turbo Back De-Cat
Green Panel & De-Resonator Mod
Walboro 255 lp/hr
EcuTek Re-Map by Andy Forrest

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 December 2007, 06:47 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

That's the "beauty" of motorised throttles...It sounds like it went into default / get you home mode. Renault's do a similar thing if the ECU detects a problem with the throttle motor, throttle pedal or a connection. If you feel up to it check the connections onto the motor and pedal, any more than that I would pull in a favour from a tech the dealer...